SP2 installation killed internet

BigGreenMat

Limp Gawd
So I am using an A8N SLI and using the nForce4 ethernet adapter. It was all working great on my first try last night until I installed SP2. The Nforce4 firewall worked appropriately. Now with SP2 I cannot connect to any server despite it saying I am connected and sending packets. Also I figured this might be a firewall problem i deactivated all firewalls and no luck. I uninstalled and reinstalled my ethernet drivers. No luck. I checked my IP assignment. No luck. Basically everything seems fine and yet it simply doesn't work. It says server not found. I could use any help please help me.

SP2 enables the Windows firewall by default...that's caused problems on my network like being able to see other machines, but not actually being able to get to them. Worth a shot?

A long shot, but if you dig into the properties for the firewall you'll see even if you shut it "Off" it's still "on" for your network card:

Control Panel
Windows Firewall
(Verify it's off)
Advanced tab at the top
Uncheck the box for your "Local Area Connection" or whatever it says there based on your network card.
Click OK out. THAT is what turns off the card. Maybe someone like Rama_sao can answer why there appears to be two ways to disable the firewall (for you to verify if that's whats giving you a headache)

a) SP2 wont kill your internet
b) AFAIK windows firewall doesnt blocks outgoing internet packets

Check your computer for spyware or virus, flush your dns cache, restart your dsl/cable modem /router

Ex and Grimmda i will try both your fixes. Hopefully Ex's will work.

OldMX, yes SP2 does kill internet connections. I know I am not the only one who has this problem. I have powercycled my router and tested it with other computers and it is working flawlessly. My IP address is correct and the computer checks out as completely clean of any spyware or viruses. This is a new build and worked flawlessly prior to SP2. i know WinXP backs things up to the wazoo. How can i go back to before I put in SP2? I would rather not wipe the whole thing and reinstall windows.

BigGreenMat said:
Ex and Grimmda i will try both your fixes. Hopefully Ex's will work.

OldMX, yes SP2 does kill internet connections. I know I am not the only one who has this problem. I have powercycled my router and tested it with other computers and it is working flawlessly. My IP address is correct and the computer checks out as completely clean of any spyware or viruses. This is a new build and worked flawlessly prior to SP2. i know WinXP backs things up to the wazoo. How can i go back to before I put in SP2? I would rather not wipe the whole thing and reinstall windows.

SP2 does not kill internet connections....that's not when of the listed problems. We've been pushing it out to 120,000 machines without issue. If you want to rollback to SP1, why not just smiply uninstall SP2?

djnes said:
SP2 does not kill internet connections....that's not when of the listed problems. We've been pushing it out to 120,000 machines without issue. If you want to rollback to SP1, why not just smiply uninstall SP2?

Don't take it too literally :). SP2 has been known to upon installation either introduce a bug for network connections. Well it looks like I am going to have to rollback to SP1 barring a few last ditch efforts. I'll jump back when I have to.

BigGreenMat said:
Don't take it too literally :). SP2 has been known to upon installation either introduce a bug for network connections. Well it looks like I am going to have to rollback to SP1 barring a few last ditch efforts. I'll jump back when I have to.

Seems like most people have better luck slipstreaming SP2 into their XP CDs than installing it later. Google a program called AutoStreamer and try that out, next time you go to install XP.

BigGreenMat, you never said if you have the limited connectivity problem or not. If so, you don't need to roll back. It's an easy fix. Really.
winsockfix.zip has fixed it several times for me.

Thanks. Excavator I found that file on a fix site and it worked. Thanks a ton for all the help. That was the last major thing other than getting lots of program errors while installing things.

Back