SP2...bite me M$

buzzard34

Gawd
Ok just installed SP2 off the CD...nothing much different except for the security center. Because its wailing right now that i have the MICROSOFT firewall turned off and my zonealarm on, I have some doubts about SP2 (and some questions). First, it seems I can't D/L shit AT ALL no matter what browser I'm using. I have autodownload in IE enabled so i can't see any obvious problems. Second, it seems that the security center is dumber than a pile of bricks. :mad: It's upset that i don't have autoupdate on (on 56k, so i've got "notify b4 D/L...go figure) and its ranting that although Norton antivirus is on, there's problems w/ it (none I can see). :confused: seriously, this is irking the hell out of me... :confused:

Go into Security Center in your control panel and disable automatic notification regarding your firewall. Internet Explorer settings of all kinds are also found in the control panel under Internet Options.

When you say "download shit", please elaborate. HTTP? P2P? If you cannot DL from any browser, then it is more than likely ZoneAlarm. Make sure you are running the latest version, and that it is configured to allow inbound HTTP.

We understand that SP2 tightens some settings up. We also understand that this may annoy more experienced users. But those default settings are there for a very good reason, and if you can handle your own security, then you are more than capable of turning default safeguards and reminders off.

buzzard34 said:
Ok just installed SP2 off the CD...nothing much different except for the security center. Because its wailing right now that i have the MICROSOFT firewall turned off and my zonealarm on, I have some doubts about SP2 (and some questions). First, it seems I can't D/L shit AT ALL no matter what browser I'm using. I have autodownload in IE enabled so i can't see any obvious problems. Second, it seems that the security center is dumber than a pile of bricks. :mad: It's upset that i don't have autoupdate on (on 56k, so i've got "notify b4 D/L...go figure) and its ranting that although Norton antivirus is on, there's problems w/ it (none I can see). :confused: seriously, this is irking the hell out of me... :confused:

Which is doing the ranting? Thats a pretty heavy thread title for such a simple thing. Are you seeing the bar that pops up across the top of IE whenever you try to download something?

The way i see it, you are not really searching for answers, just ranting...

Which is acceptable since i would be as pissed off if i couldnt download... in 56k no less (just moved up from it, so i hear you brother....)

But take your time to know and love sp2. As someone said here, the default settings are there for a reason... One big thing though, that you should do, is either use windows firewall OR zonealarm, but not both... I dont know much of the insides of each firewall but if your problem would happen to me, thats the first thing i would do....

Other than that, ive been feeling kind today. If you caught me in a bad day, i would have probably answered this thread differently... but why bother, life is beatiful... :) :p

GreNME said:
Sounds like either that pesky ID 10t error or the PEBKAC conflict.
I'm inclined to agree.

FPS said:
check this out it could help
Click Here
It helps to explain your links as to why people should want to click them, especially if the user is taken straight to a download page.

GreNME said:
Sounds like either that pesky ID 10t error or the PEBKAC conflict.

From what I'm reading on these boards....these are the most common of SP2 errors.

M11 said:
I'm inclined to agree.
It helps to explain your links as to why people should want to click them, especially if the user is taken straight to a download page.
lol sorry, here ya go (i havent tried this but it got recccomended to me in a tread i made)
What's this all about?
After almost everybody knows the <<EventID 4226: TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts>>, I used a day to create for educational purpose a fix for this argumentative feature.

Unfortunately there exists no REG-key which could easily be set (would be so nice and easy, right? *smile*). The file TCPIP.SYS in the directory C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS and C:\WINDOWS\SERVICEPACKFILES\I386 has to be changed (system dependend eventually in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE, too).

Needed things:
- Windows XP SP2 (from RC2 upwards) or Windows 2003 Server SP1 beta
- patcher
- a small amount of time

What's been done:
To say it easy: the before 10 half-open connections are beeing increased to 50 (can be changed during runtime and with the parameter /L) and the CRC is been corrected. And that's it! (it now opens up 16000 something IP connections)

Comment:
The method described here, should only be used by users, who know how to handle all the described. With the download of the here published program the user know, that changes are made on third party files. For damages in every kind I cannot be hold responsible for. Indeed, tests worked fine here. However, nothing is impossible.
Info: When error occurs, the patcher can change the TCPIP.SYS back to the original!

Instruction:
Just download the patcher and execute it. It will automatically find the windows directory and ask, if it should increase/decrease. For higher values, please check the help with parameter /?.
After a successful patch, the new TCPIP.SYS will be automatically installed. After that, the computer should be restartet.

Ok thanks...hopefully SP2 doesn't turn out to be the pain in the ass it was earlier... :D
so far everything runs nice and smooth (probably cuz i rebooted a couple times :rolleyes: )
Disabled all the windows crap and have my zonealarm and norton running juuuust fine. :p

Back