SP-97 running hotter than stock

What orientation is the case, or more importantly, the motherboard? I would be inclined to try laying the MB flat (parallel to the ground) to see what the results are. They should be better than if the MB is vertical.

That's the trouble with heatpipes. I would guess that the Tt SilentTower is similar, in that the performance is great, IF the MB is parallel to the ground.

I think they tested that over at System Cooling and found that the orientation of the SP-97 had little affect on its cooling - maybe 1 degree.

Can't believe no ones asked about the fan... do you know how much air it pushes.

That and also how clean is that setup.

I was having the same prob with my sp-97, untill I figured out that I was using the wrong clear plastic washers - make sure you are using the smaller (height wise) of the two sets.

Now I'm running mobile 2500 w/ 222fsb @ 31c idle

StringUmUp said:
I was having the same prob with my sp-97, untill I figured out that I was using the wrong clear plastic washers - make sure you are using the smaller (height wise) of the two sets.

Now I'm running mobile 2500 w/ 222fsb @ 31c idle

yeah...I had 1 lousy thick washer in there.

took it out, reseated, reapplied AS5....41 idle.

that's not spectacular, but I just don't care anymore :cool:

awsiemieniec said:
Did you remove the plastic protective clear "tape" on the bottom of your heatsink?
:D

I'm sorry, I don't know whats funnier... the fact that someone said that or the fact that jsn attempted to use the confused smiley.

It sounds to me like you do not know how to install a heatsink.

If the HS slides or is mounted the wrong way it will not cool the core properly.

you want a paper thin layer of AS5 on the chip and no more, both the chip and HS should be cleaned with alcahol before mounting. Make sure you have a HIGH CFM fan when using that HS.

I almost hate to revisit this..but my idle is still around 42. Washers are good, AS5 is on correctly...finally. Case temp is 22-25 and a 2900rpm 92mm fan blows down on it.

what could I possibility be overlooking?

My SLK-948U is also cooling less then I'd expected, but my case temp is a lot higher then yours. My case temp is around 34 - 37. The CPU idles around 43, but goes as high as 59 while running prime95 for hours on end. Sorry, I don't have any advice though.

Back