Soyo 24" LCD at Office Max $299

Maybe a bit off topic,
I am now useing a 20"LCD well 20.1 :p and at native rez(1680*1050) and my 40yr old eyes text and everything seems a little small, not real bad, I can still use it OK, but just a tad bigger would be nice.
So here is my qustion. With this 24" LCD at native rez. is the text a little bit bigger than a 20.1" LCD at native rez ?

Maybe a bit off topic,
I am now useing a 20"LCD well 20.1 :p and at native rez(1680*1050) and my 40yr old eyes text and everything seems a little small, not real bad, I can still use it OK, but just a tad bigger would be nice.
So here is my qustion. With this 24" LCD at native rez. is the text a little bit bigger than a 20.1" LCD at native rez ?

Interesting question. By my calculations:

24" 16:9 should have following dimensions:
x = 20.916"
y = 11.763"

x dpi = 1920 / 20.916" = 91dpi
y dpi = 1200 / 11.63" = 102dpi

20" 16:9 should have:
x = 17.42"
y = 9.8"

x dpi = 1680 / 17.42" = 96dpi
y dpi = 1050 / 9.8" = 107dpi

Therefore, the 24" has actually lower Dot Per Inch value which mean less pixels per inch which equals LARGER pixels (or at least spaced further), which equals EASIER to read text. All that by some, not a whole lot though.

Interesting question. By my calculations:

24" 16:9 should have following dimensions:
x = 20.916"
y = 11.763"

x dpi = 1920 / 20.916" = 91dpi
y dpi = 1200 / 11.63" = 102dpi

20" 16:9 should have:
x = 17.42"
y = 9.8"

x dpi = 1680 / 17.42" = 96dpi
y dpi = 1050 / 9.8" = 107dpi

Therefore, the 24" has actually lower Dot Per Inch value which mean less pixels per inch which equals LARGER pixels (or at least spaced further), which equals EASIER to read text. All that by some, not a whole lot though.

Your math makes sense, except that these LCDs use a ratio of 16:10, not 16:9.

Maybe a bit off topic,

No, text is going to be about the same size. You should consider 22" 1680x1050.

OK, Thank's for the help.
And also thank's for not giving the reply "get off your A@$ and see for yourself " because I will be doing that as soon as I can. I Just wanted to know if I could buy this LCD blind, with out looking at it first.
I'll go have a look at it when I can and hope it's still on sale if the text looks bigger then the 20.1 LCD.

You could simply run at a non-native resolution and have the text be a tad bigger... As long as you stick in the same 16:10 aspect ratio (widescreen) you should be OK

I did do the non-native thing and it just looked bad. What is a 16:10 rez for a 20.1 monitor ?

I did do the non-native thing and it just looked bad. What is a 16:10 rez for a 20.1 monitor ?

16:10 on a 20" or 22" is going to be 1680x1050, where on a 24" it's 1920x1200. That's just the standard ratio used for widescreen moniters. 16:9 comes into play for widescreen tvs, so you get resolutions like 1280x720, and 1920x1080.

Or you could go into windows settings and configure the text to be larger on everything in about 1 minute. This is a better solution than buying a new monitor or not running native monitor resolution.

Or you could go into windows settings and configure the text to be larger on everything in about 1 minute. This is a better solution than buying a new monitor or not running native monitor resolution.

Your logic is deceiving :p

Your logic is deceiving :p

Yea I am that dumb.
I think that's Windows 101
That makes some text bigger but not all, like on webpages some text will be larger but some stays the same.
Thanks for the help yevaud I know you are a helpfull poster so that "Thanks" to you is true you always help, but some people might need to get out of the house some more and see a comedy or somthing.:rolleyes:

Sorry I did not want to thread jack so you don't need to post on this subject anymore.

Web-browsers have adjustable text size...

Go to View - Text Size and adjust it (Atleast in firefox) :D

Dang I wanted to be mad at Blazestorm but he/she knows his/her stuff...Plus I am a little dumb :D
Thanks for the help Blazestorm, I used Firefox for years but when I went Vista I just started useing explorer and never got around to installing Firfeox.
Explorer might have it to but I think I just got an itch for a bigger monitor:)
Now get back to posting on how great this monitor is untill I can get to a store to see for myself.

Mine came today. Wow. Uncalibrated, the color on this thing is already better than my calibrated Samsung 206BW. Time to play some games.

This is a very good deal. Ordered two, one for my brother one for my dad.

I recently got a 5% gas back discover card. With this card you can go to officemax through discover and get 5% back as well. Then I also got a $30 off coupon from ebay.

Product Total: $307.99 Discount: -$30.00 Subtotal: $277.99 Tax: $22.34 Delivery: $0.00 Grand Total:
trans.gif
$300.33
and 5% back in 8 weeks.

You can also get 4% cash back from Ebates (Ebates.com) . Been using them for years and they are very legit (and prompt) . New users and referals are another $5 in the account . All adds up in the end .

Too bad I did not try a Ebay coupon before I purchased this morning :( . Oh well .

I wonder just how many different online cash back sites you can use at once. The coupon was $3 and arrived instantly.

Damnit... I want this thing. If I didn't have the truck reg. this month, it'd be mine....

I am hoping for similar deals on BF.

-bZj

Just picked this up in-store at OfficeMax. Awesome monitor!!! Can't beat this price. I was really close to buying a Samsung 22" LCD but this was just too good to pass up. Looks awesome with native resolution of 1920X1200. Too bad I'll have to turn the res down playing BF2 :( 'ol Bessie just can't keep up.

Just picked this up in-store at OfficeMax. Awesome monitor!!! Can't beat this price. I was really close to buying a Samsung 22" LCD but this was just too good to pass up. Looks awesome with native resolution of 1920X1200. Too bad I'll have to turn the res down playing BF2 :( 'ol Bessie just can't keep up.

wait, is it still on sale for $299?, i looked on their site a few days ago and it was 400

After seeing a 24" Westy @ BBY today, I may be swayed to jump up from my 19" Soyo.... Should I plan on grabbing another X1950GT if I do to keep up at the larger area (12x10 vs 19x12)?

-bZj

Just got mine today... set it up and all I can say is Wow! I'm coming from a Hyundai L90D+ which is just a regular 19" LCD. This seems much more vibrant, and of course the real estate is huge. At native resolution I can have 2 full browser windows open side by side. Sweet! Actually, that raises a question, does anyone know if I can change a setting so that Windows XP knows I want to "tile" two browser windows side by side, rather than having to resized them manually, each time I open up Internet Explorer?

Also, I haven't made a thorough search yet, but I haven't seen ANY stuck or dead pixels.

Haven't tried any games yet to look for ghosting. Overall, well worth the $300, IMHO!

Here is a link to a review with a video on it. No HDMI connector though.http://www.3dgameman.com/content/view/9867/103/

I think it is worth a visit tomorrow to check it out.

I'm 100% convinced that Rodney reynolds is a robot :eek: as for his review umm, im glad he pointed out the differences between CRT and LCD cause its only 2007 and i know most of us are having difficulties discerning between those, as well as pointing out the location of the power connector and serial # sticker.. lol dont mean to flame, but seriously, if his reviews are geared towards super-non-technical people then fine, but for the tech. crowd they are actually insulting.. :(

I'm 100% convinced that Rodney reynolds is a robot :eek: as for his review umm, im glad he pointed out the differences between CRT and LCD cause its only 2007 and i know most of us are having difficulties discerning between those, as well as pointing out the location of the power connector and serial # sticker.. lol dont mean to flame, but seriously, if his reviews are geared towards super-non-technical people then fine, but for the tech. crowd they are actually insulting.. :(

That dude is creepy, no doubt about it.

Not to flame, but if you don't like his (video) reviews, don't (watch) read them... You gotta remember, none of us came out of the womb with a MCSE or A++ certification in our hands and not everyone on the planet is a tech savvy super guru. If everyone knew what good MCSE's knew then there wouldn't be any overpaid MCSE's in demand...

And YES, there are still people who do not know the difference between a CRT and a LCD, esp. when companies start throwing around terms like "flat screen," which could mean either a LCD or a flat non-curved CRT.

If you are insulted by a tech video that no one forced you to watch, then there is a problem with the pot calling the kettle black.

Finally bought one, just couldn't resist. With a $30 off coupon from ebay it came out to $283 after tax. W00t!

Finally bought one, just couldn't resist. With a $30 off coupon from ebay it came out to $283 after tax. W00t!

you won't be disappionted, i am coming from a gateway 22 inch and it's like night and day. It's a awesome monitor for the price.:D

I'm real glad I found this thread. I just bought the last one my local OM had. What are the chances? OM is usually only good if you need paper clips and staples.

I just hopped on this deal since my FW900 died. IMO, the FW900 market is officially 100% dead if good 24" LCD's can get to < $300 and stay there. I'm really surprised at the image quality. This thing really lives up to what my FW-900 was doing. The blacks aren't quite as juicy, but the difference is very small.

I used checkemon to look at the color gradients and pure colors. There is no stepping or visible line or color shift between the shades of color. This monitor rocks.

For those that have their doubts, this is the real definition of a [H]ot Deal!

Edit:

Just FYI for those testing color. I use Nvidia's Digital Vibrance (saturation) at highest notch that is still called "low" in the NV control panel. As well, I have this monitor adjusted to contrast = 67 and brightness = 30.

I got mine for a secondary monitor. While it is no S-IPS monitor, it is still pretty good. All I will be using it for is for my menus in photoshop. After I color calibrated it, it looks awesome....

Quick question: How do you calibrate an LCD monitor? I used the NVIDIA driver wizard to adjust colors a bit, gamma, etc. Is that how calibration is done? Should I use other software to do this?

I've tried the Nvidia setup thing before. Never had good results. You can see what I used to adjust my monitor in my post above. For the most part, color calibration depends of personal taste.

I use checkemon to look at color gradients to adjust brightness and contrast. Blacks should be black, grays should be gray, and white should be white.Hopefully, the LCD doesn't need any adjustments on the individual R G and B channels.

Not to flame, but if you don't like his (video) reviews, don't (watch) read them... You gotta remember, none of us came out of the womb with a MCSE or A++ certification in our hands and not everyone on the planet is a tech savvy super guru. If everyone knew what good MCSE's knew then there wouldn't be any overpaid MCSE's in demand...

And YES, there are still people who do not know the difference between a CRT and a LCD, esp. when companies start throwing around terms like "flat screen," which could mean either a LCD or a flat non-curved CRT.
You get as much out of his 'reviews' as you do by looking at the pictures on NewEgg. Homeboy's a shill and just regurgitates what's on the box for most items.

-bZj

Back