SOYO 24" DYLM24D6 Official Thread

If I found another (guaranteed *VA), I'd grab it for sure - esp. with the new ATi possibilities....

Boy, I think I bought mine in January 2008, so its got to be nearly 1.75 years old. still going strong with hours of use every day

Ordered one from Mwave and was lucky enough to get the MVA panel with no dead pixels, it is currently working without any problems. Also I have another Soyo has been working for 1.5 years without any problems.

Looks like the power supply has given up. Nothing happens when the power button is pressed.

I've had mine for two years now as well and it's still working great *knock on wood*. Frankly, I have more issues with my dell 2408wfp (occassionally the screen goes blank for a few seconds before selecting an input via dvi) than I have with my Topaz S.

I've posted several times over the years. Got my p-mva monitor in September '07, so 2+ years of continuous service. From time to time, however, monitor will flash off and back on. I would assume it's something to do with the backlight, but I seem to recall that when this happens, the screen also momentarily freezes (has been fine for the past month or so, so I am drawing from memory).

Is this fixable? Who fixes these things? Are parts available? Can I do it myself? Is there really water on the moon?

It's funny how much we are obsessing on these darn things. Maybe it's because the picture is so gorgeous and the fact that we got a "bargain" deal, and want to save face.

If and when the thing truly dies, what would be an equivalent-image-quality 24" monitor out there (i.e. not a TN panel)?

Talk about a love/hate affair. This monitor, when working properly, is just wonderful. But it appears that some internal components are not up to the task.

As I've indicated in the above post, there are issues, probably heat-related. But I just came across another site where some users are trying hard to get a handle on fixing things.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1655449

If and when the thing truly dies, what would be an equivalent-image-quality 24" monitor out there (i.e. not a TN panel)?

HP LP2475w -- ~$500, less if you're willing to deal with refurbs or Ebay. Better quality panel than the Soyo (H-IPS instead of P-MVA) but wide gamut, which some don't like at all.

My beloved SOYO 24" died last month. I had it for about 1.5 years or so. It worked absolutely excellent all the way until it would not turn on anymore. It just decided to quit out of the blue. I used it for graphic design and photo editing.

Luckily I bought the insurance from Office Max and I got a $300.00 credit back for it.

Anyway, I just purchased the new NEC E-IPS 23" monitor for around $340.00. This is the best deal going for a professional level monitor. The E-IPS should at least be as good as the SOYO if not a little better quality.

Fixed the issue with my panel by installing a tiny fan inside the chassis, mounting it with silicone adhesive so that it blows directly on the power supply board heat sinks. I had tried this some months earlier, but quickly tired of the fan noise. This time I used a resistor in series to drop the voltage to the fan from 12v to maybe 8v, and the noise is almost nonexistent.

Panel is now as stable as a rock. When I had disassembled the back side in the past, the power supply heat sinks were too hot to touch for some minutes after shutdown. This made it obvious to me that cooling was marginal at best.

A simpler solution would be to cut a 4" hole in the back plastic case to the right of the mount, and glue a conventional PC case cooling fan to it. This would also force cooling air into the power supply. A fan with a 3-speed switch would work beautifully at the low speed.

Mine died after 2 years. I smelled something burning inside of it and it quit completely.

february 19th will be my 2 years since buying my soyo, still perfect minus the dead pixels that were dead out of the box

those of you with failing screens, do you run them often without shutting them off? mine is on at most 6-7 hours a day, the rest of the time it's powered down

I would consider selling mine (which is perfect, VA, no dead pixels) for the right price, and assuming I knew of another more perfect 24 inch monitor (hopefully IPS)

Well I guess I would sell mine for $300 hopefully. (since the HP is $500)
I still have the box of course (of course and thank god,) so shipping should be safe.

Again, it's in perfect condition.
No dead pixels, no weird glitches, or anything breaking.
I'm a video freak, so I do pay attention.

I never calibrated it though.

My Soyo just died today after 2 years of use. The backlight won't come on, so I assume it's a power supply issue....We'll see if I get motivated to fix it here eventually....

Well, I tore apart my non-functional soyo today and got a look at the power supply. Checked the voltages coming out of it and saw proper voltages all around. :confused: And, I didn't see any bulging or leaking caps.

Seeing that, on a whim I reassembled, and walla. it works again--Though, I suspect only tentatively. If the power supply board fizzles out again, I might have to start looking for a powersupply of some type that can put out a decent current at 24V to drive the CCFL.

keep us posted on that power supply hunt. That's valuable information!

keep us posted on that power supply hunt. That's valuable information!

Someone on back in this thread was able to buy a replacement PS directly from SOYO. But, last I heard, SOYO is out of business now. So I've not even tried to check for replacements there.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Non-functioning dylm24d6, probably something with the power supply, so I stripped it out and looked for it online for a replacement.

Saw someone mention on a fixya.com thread that they replaced a "fuse" to fix their power supply. They claim it's a 250v 3.5A fuse. I'm going to have to double check the power supply again (it's been months since I've looked at that monitor, since it died) and see what's what.

Other than that broken one, the other one I have is going strong. No burnt smell, no overheating, no blacking out, no humming. Perfect. Luck of the draw.

mine died today, bizarrely. just will not turn on. no power LEDS, nothing. very odd. judging by the thread it must be a power supply issue.

i dont have the repair skills to fix it. seems like such a shame to throw away a perfectly good LCD :/ awell. thing didnt have HDCP anyway, I guess.

Last edited:
Someone on SD has sourced a newer revision of the PS for this monitor, and is putting together a buy for them, he said he'll even warranty them for a year.

Luckily I never throw anything out - mine fizzled about 1 month past the warranty, I tried replacing the fuse on the PS, it popped again when I tried to turn it on, so I reassembled it and packed it up in the attic. With this PS buy, I can hopefully get it running again.

Someone on SD has sourced a newer revision of the PS for this monitor, and is putting together a buy for them, he said he'll even warranty them for a year.

Luckily I never throw anything out - mine fizzled about 1 month past the warranty, I tried replacing the fuse on the PS, it popped again when I tried to turn it on, so I reassembled it and packed it up in the attic. With this PS buy, I can hopefully get it running again.

great find! i'll probably get 3 since i have 3. they are still ok but you never know ;)

This is a great deal. This guy doesn't seem scammy. He has an 8 year old paypal account, few year old ebay account with >200 positive feedback, and a business website with a phone number. He also has pictures of the revised power supply. Seems like an absolute stroke of luck to find this. Definitely putting in my order.

Yep, I just put a deposit down on one myself. You can't beat it for the price and on top of that, its a drop in replacement. Doesn't get better than that. I have the new HP monitor on its way but when I get the supply for the SOYO I'll fix it and use or sell it. :)

Back