SOYO 24" DYLM24D6 Official Thread

I got this monitor yesterday, and I love the upgrade from my 20inch. Right now I'm using the full light option set to the whole screen. I don't know if this makes it look best or not. I was hoping someone might have some good settings.

I also got lucky in that I went Friday afternoon (around 4PM) and they had 3 left in the back. I decided to pick one up even tho I have a 22" SAMSUNG coming from Best Buy. Office Max, like Best Buy has a 14 day return policy that is full refund, no restocking fee. I'm coming from a 19" Viewsonic, so this thing is huge compared to it. I got a July, 2007 model for those that are curious. I hooked it up and immediately looked for imperfections such as dead/stuck pixel and back light issues. Back light was uniform, but I did have one red stuck pixel at the very bottom where the power button is, but you have to lean down and really look for it to be noticeable. Once I was satisfied with that, I played around with the color settings and found a nice balance (out of the box was really bright). I have to say that this LCD is really nice for the price and from what I've been reading it has a true 8bit color panel instead of a 6bit like most LCD is this price range. Playing WoW on this was pure joy, almost felt like I was in the game, the screen is so huge. The colors are noticeably better than my Viewsonic. Overall it was a sweet first impression...

Move forward five hours and my new larger than life LCD developed a pencil like line from left to right in the middle of the screen. Move forward to this morning and a second line has developed just under that first line stretching from left to right as well. The funny thing is that in Office Max, the floor display model also has this same line, one going vertical and another horizontal. I am really disappointed, because I was really considering keeping this one and returning the Samsung. I still have the Soyo and I'm on the fence on whether to get a full refund right away or try another panel and cross my fingers, and hope for the best. I may just hold off and see how the Samsung stacks up to this display and make my choice from there.

I would advise anyone who bought this panel to get the Office Max service warranty for that extra sense of security. I think the 1 year warranty is like $29. It's well worth it in my opinion. It can save you a lot of aggravation if the display starts acting up after your return window is closed.

62314274xu9.jpg

It's too bad the girl didn't come with the monitor. :p

47873316qg3.jpg

Next to my Viewsonic 19"

83395138ez1.jpg

Here you can see the two dark lines going across the monitor.

I'd try taking the Soyo back and hope to get the September model. It seems like most of the issues have been ironed out in these. I've been using my for 2 days without the lines and it seems like most people with this problem have had them show up rather early. I havn't bought the protection plan but i plan to before the 14 days is up. I would much rather replace it at officemax then have to deal with Soyo's support department.

I got this monitor yesterday, and I love the upgrade from my 20inch. Right now I'm using the full light option set to the whole screen. I don't know if this makes it look best or not. I was hoping someone might have some good settings.

Full light = high light? If so, turn it off.

Took a big gamble and got mine on Saterday. They had one left in the back. It is a Sept mfg. date. After being pushed hard for two days is still working great. (nock on wood) Am still holding on to my 22" tn panel Acer until this monitor gets a couple of months on it working good. Then will be selling the Acer to help pay for the SOYO. This monitor blows the Acer away in color. I thought the Acer 22" was great after using it to replace my 8 year old 20" viewable Nokia PRO445 (rebadged View Sonic)

Now after saying all that. Here are my questions. The cables that came with this monitor are realy thin. So were the ones that came with the Acer. What would replacing the stock cable with a larger cable with more strands of wire and better sheilding do? What is the typical life span of large lcd monitors like this Soyo?

I found I was able to get better colors vibrancy after calibrating with the full high light...

All it does is heighten the brightness and contrast levels. Then again, I suppose it is worth a try both ways.

anyone else getting a problem when you watch a dvd and you get horizontal lines that flicker? im thinking its the dvi cable or maybe the software because it doesnt do it at all durin gaming.

I didn't notice that problem, though I'm using the DVI cable that came with my 20inch DVI cable.

I heard a lot about issues relating to the mediocre DVI cable that came with this monitor, so I've been using one I bought separately at Best Buy. No problems here.

I hope this September model has no issues.

When i try to play a game like unreal tournament 2k4 on this monitor there no picture but there sound so then when i turn off my computer and turn it back on i usually get the flickering of the screen.
I don't have a graphics card at the moment but getting one soon. So is not having a video card the problem or is it the monitor or the cable??

I used the Monitor Calibration Wizard (free d/l somewhere) to adjust the settings. Ended up w/ 10 bright, 50 contrast. Found that some videos were still too dark (eg. nbc.com) and needed to use my gfx card util to adjust the gamma. much improved.

Also 2 trivial "mods":

the mount is hard to tilt up. i ended up disassembling it to do it. you'll get to a metal piece that adjusts the tilt. I needed to use a *pipe wrench* on that piece to get a proper tilt. works like a charm but obviously not something that you can do on the fly.

also, someone mentioned the power leds are too bright, and they really are. i get lens flare from them when I'm wearing my glasses. covered them up with some discreetly taped paper which is translucent enough that i can see the monitor status led colors.

Happy with mine so far. Here are a couple of bad pictures. :p

desk2.jpg

desk1.jpg

Mine is kicking butt after 10 days now :)

Edit: Don't mind the background on monitor #3 there, just reformatted =P

monitors.jpg

it must have been the DVD player i was using, installed a new one and flickers are gone. prolly still gonna get a new/longer cable

Mine is kicking butt after 10 days now :)

Edit: Don't mind the background on monitor #3 there, just reformatted =P

[/QUOTE]We have quite a bit of stuff in common. Desk, Monitor (duh) and volume control. Almost mice too. Craziness.

You have the addon shelf for the jerker though...I want one now! Can't find one anywhere...craigslist has yielded nothing.

We have quite a bit of stuff in common. Desk, Monitor (duh) and volume control. Almost mice too. Craziness.

You have the addon shelf for the jerker though...I want one now! Can't find one anywhere...craigslist has yielded nothing.

I bought 4 when I was at IKEA for exactly this reason :)

I am new to LCDs and I do not own one, so don't know too much.

I saw Soyo both at officemax and fry's. I compared to multiple LCDs. Settings might be messed up but, that this monitor did not look too good.

On the other hand, I found the Gateway FHD2400 best which is a TN panel. I even compared to Apple Cinema which is S panel I think and Apple did not look as good.

Am I missing something?

I saw Soyo both at officemax and fry's. I compared to multiple LCDs. Settings might be messed up but, that this monitor did not look too good.

On the other hand, I found the Gateway FHD2400 best which is a TN panel. I even compared to Apple Cinema which is S panel I think and Apple did not look as good.

Am I missing something?

Yes you are. Most stores do not know how to properly set up and calibrate a monitor.

Nope, using all 4 atm. Two on the bottom as platforms for my computers (keeps them from sucking up as much dust) and two at desktop level.

sounds like a good idea i'll try soon for my desktop. i have a bottom shelf, it holds my ups's :D

Nope, using all 4 atm. Two on the bottom as platforms for my computers (keeps them from sucking up as much dust) and two at desktop level.

Using them to hold your computers...not a bad idea. I have one on top of my second monitor just for storage...maybe I'll copy you.

for those interested I've had confirmation from Soyo that both their 24" models (DYLM24D6 and DYLM24D4) use panels from both Samsung and AU Optronics. They didn't have information on technology used (although looks like S-PVA / P-MVA from what has been said here). Also sounded like both models used both panels from what they said, but might be more likely that one uses the Samsung, the other uses AUO (given the specs are different).

any thoughts?

well several monitors later i have one that looks good with no dead pixels. Problem is its an Aug panel and dvi does not work until windows. cant see bios or boot screens. vga works fine. have both cables hooked up right now. Is there a fix for this ?? The other September models did not have this issue. Should i return this one and try for a good September one ?? Day 8 of my 14 day return
Thanks for the time,
Joel

I have the same problem, and i think i have an AUG panel too (can't check now roomates sleeping).

I got my replacement yesterday (The first one developed two horizontal lines). Within an hour, the replacement developed a vertical line. :(

The replacement is a September model (The original a July model). I also noticed the odd smell some have reported. It smells like hot plastic. I am using my Samsung DVI cable for the hook-up.

I really wanted this one to be one of the "good ones", but it seems I have to try again and keep my fingers crossed for a flawless one. I did get the 1 year OfficeMax warranty, but I am also still within my 14 return option.

Lets hope 3 times is a charm! :D

I got my replacement yesterday (The first one developed two horizontal lines). Within an hour, the replacement developed a vertical line. :(

The replacement is a September model (The original a July model). I also noticed the odd smell some have reported. It smells like hot plastic. I am using my Samsung DVI cable for the hook-up.

I really wanted this one to be one of the "good ones", but it seems I have to try again and keep my fingers crossed for a flawless one. I did get the 1 year OfficeMax warranty, but I am also still within my 14 return option.

Lets hope 3 times is a charm! :D

You mean officemax only allows you to return it 14x? What happens if you exceed 14?

You mean officemax only allows you to return it 14x? What happens if you exceed 14?

Not 14 times, 14 days. I think on any purchase they give a 14 day period that allows returns. After that it is up to the manufacturer.

Oops, I meant days. :) Within 14 days I can get a full refund and not be charged a restocking fee.

Either I have really bad luck or there is a serious issue with Soyo's quality control because not only did my two Soyo's have these lines, but the floor model on display at OfficeMax also has it. Only thing that gives me hope is that some on here have gotten one without issues.

I just love the picture quality and colors on this LCD, that why I'm willing to keep exchanging it until I get a good one. It also helps that OfficeMax is 10mins away. :)

I also bought the Samsung 220WM from Best Buy and the Soyo just leaves a much better impression than the tn panel Samsung.

Mine is 1 month old on the 5th and have had no problems. Good luck, Burpy. You'll find a good one sometime. :)

I just got my 3rd panel and I've been using it for an hour. No dead pixels, no line across the screen yet (usually takes a few hours if it happens). The only problem is that there is a buzzing noise coming from it. I don't have the speakers connected, so I don't think thats the problem. I tried turning down the built-in speaker volume to 0, but that made no difference.

My only hope is that it will stop in a few hours. It didn't start buzzing until 30mins after it was turned on for the first time. It seems I will have to go through all known problems before my perfect panel comes. :)

Fingers crossed that the buzzing stops and the screen doesn't take a dive.

So the problem has been addressed already, but there were no responses.

I have an August manufacture date and using DVI cables

Whenever you boot up the computer, the screen is totally blank (it says there is no signal), and continues to be blank until you reach the windows login screen.

This also happens sometimes when changing resolutions, be it in windows or in games with another resolution different than in windows. Sometimes the fix is to simply turn off the screen and turn it back on, but other times I will have to restart the computer. Other then this I haven't had any problems with the lcd.

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem is or how to fix it? thanks

Am I missing something?

your comments show how new to LCD shopping you are. This monitor is the BEST bang for the buck you will find. Period...

So the problem has been addressed already, but there were no responses.

I have an August manufacture date and using DVI cables

Whenever you boot up the computer, the screen is totally blank (it says there is no signal), and continues to be blank until you reach the windows login screen.

This also happens sometimes when changing resolutions, be it in windows or in games with another resolution different than in windows. Sometimes the fix is to simply turn off the screen and turn it back on, but other times I will have to restart the computer. Other then this I haven't had any problems with the lcd.

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem is or how to fix it? thanks

Wife bought a 2nd monitor, checked in store to be 2007/09 and notepad and blank screensaver looked good. She brought it home and again worked great booting up with only the dvi cable. I am planning on returning the aug monitor in the 14 days although i am still in about that time with my other one. In a nut shell, aug was working ok with no pixel issues. Wife bought a good september one. will return the august one on the september receipt and say it was great but too big for the desk or something. OD knows these are crap monitors, but if you can find a good one they are very nice especial at $250 on BF.

Back