SOYO 24" DYLM24D6 Official Thread

I was also very cautious upon purchasing this monitor. In fact, I decided against it due to so many problems people were having. However, I am very happy I chose to take the "risk" to buy it. Some of the best $250 I've spent. :) Like I said in the other thread, OM offers 14 days for a return so even if you dislike it or have problems you should be able to get your money back.
Since the guy I talked to from Office Max said that he would let me test it in-store, I'll seal the deal if its working alright there. I've been reading a lot into this screen, and some of the issues have to do with a bad cable - something other than the screen itself. Its such a good deal that I'll go for it, because if it works it'll be an incredible deal. If I don't get it, I'll just end up wondering if it would have worked.

EDIT - by the way, the August-made model is apparently the "hit or miss." The ones made in July and September have given people the most reliable results.

Can anyone confirm that it comes with a DVI-D cable? I talked to people at three different stores and got three different answers. They were: yes, no, and "it comes with a cable but it's vga".

Can anyone confirm that it comes with a DVI-D cable? I talked to people at three different stores and got three different answers. They were: yes, no, and "it comes with a cable but it's vga".

Yes. Both VGA and DVI, IIRC.

Got mine this morning for the advertised $250. They still had at least 3 left at 8AM from what I saw. Most people were at Office Max buying printers and really shitty digicams. :p

Nice! Do they pricematch? I bought mine earlier this week for this reason alone.

stupid stuck pixel : (
its in the upper left corner, about the same level as the ad, above the displays word.

should i return it? hope the next one has no stuck pixels? i've tried several programs and a massage. no luck :(

I got mine...its a September-made panel. No dead/stuck pixels, and everything looks great. :) I'm still trying to figure out how to properly calibrate the colors....what settings are people using?? No back light bleeding and smooth response times raise this monitor way above my old widescreen gateway 19''. Movies are AWESOME! Gosh this thing is nice and big!

I just bought one of these today. I connected everything, got it working, but the user manual leaves much to be desired. I've upgraded from an old 17' flat CRT monitor and have little experience with LCDs, especially the widescreen. My question is: when playing movies that are in widescreen format, should there be the black frame all the way around the picture? It's not just at the top and bottom, it's on the sides too. I've played around with my video card settings and everything is set properly as far as I can tell. my video card is an ATI radeon x1650 pro. I expected that since this was a wide screen monitor there wouldn't be the black at the top and bottom, but I'm really surprised there is the border on the sides as well. If anyone knows anyting about this, I'd appreciate some help.

I just bought one of these today. I connected everything, got it working, but the user manual leaves much to be desired. I've upgraded from an old 17' flat CRT monitor and have little experience with LCDs, especially the widescreen. My question is: when playing movies that are in widescreen format, should there be the black frame all the way around the picture? It's not just at the top and bottom, it's on the sides too. I've played around with my video card settings and everything is set properly as far as I can tell. my video card is an ATI radeon x1650 pro. I expected that since this was a wide screen monitor there wouldn't be the black at the top and bottom, but I'm really surprised there is the border on the sides as well. If anyone knows anyting about this, I'd appreciate some help.

What resolution are the movies? 1920x1200 is 16:10, not 16:9. You can always set the media player to fullscreen which will stretch the picture but remove the letterbox. The letterbox gives you the proper resolution of the movie and is not a fault with the monitor.

matrix563: Return it. Keep doing so till you get one that is perfect. :) Living with a "stuck" pixel is no fun.

matrix563: Return it. Keep doing so till you get one that is perfect. :) Living with a "stuck" pixel is no fun.

i just got back. i couldn't test dpb as the guy said they had no one to log into the officemax comp (lies i'm sure but wth).

so what i did was reboot, the bios was white, the next screen was black, and the next (windows) was blue

no dead pixels

dpb found no dead pixels when i got home. YAY :D

no more annoying green dot ;)

kinda made my soyo feel like a touchscreen from stargate atlantis the way i had it layed on the table. sweet :D :cool:

got mine today as well...no dead pixels or any problems, but i also could use some help to get the colors calibrated...

I pulled the trigger on one of these this evening. I went by BB to pick up Orange Box and told myself I WAS NOT going in Office Max to see if they had any in stock (it is in the same plaza). Needless to say I got sucked in and they had 3 in stock. I grabbed one with the 1 year OM extended warranty. Got it home, September build, no bad pixels and the thing looks great! I am coming off of a Dell 2005fpw and so far the colors seem to be pretty close with this screen. Viewing angles are very good and I haven't seen any "ghosting" Overall I am very pleased as long as I don't have any future problems out of it.

got mine today as well...no dead pixels or any problems, but i also could use some help to get the colors calibrated...

If you are using Nvidia you can use the calibration setup in the Nvidia control panel. It has always done a pretty good job with my screens and this one is no different.

When I play this video, I get a lot of color banding on my Soyo, especially at the sunset scene. What could be the cause of this?

When I run in clone mode with my dell 2005fpw , the banding doesnt appear on the 2005fpw except in a few scenes and its almost unoticeable even then. Why does the Soyo look so much worse??
:(

I'm not a photo geek or anything, but I do have a suggestion. Put an ambient light behind the monitor. Then take pics from angles showing the complete bezel and stand. I would like to see some like that. Not just straight shots, but from the side, below and above. If you would be so kind anyways :p

If you don't mind, I would like you to go here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hdvideo/contentshowcase.aspx

And download the "The Discoverers (IMAX) 1080P" Version. I downloaded it to see what it would look like.Didn't know how bad TN panels were till now, I noticed it had horrible color blending in some instances, especially near the end with the sun going down over the horizon. I guess you could say "color banding". Would you be willing to take a pic of that for me? Again thanks for this thread and the many pics :)

I'm considering buying this screen, I currently have a 226CW and an LG226WTQ. I would appreciate a picture of the soyo 24 next to either screen, or any other good 22" for that matter. Please, If any one has a 22" post a photo of the soyo next to it.

I brought this from bf and got the last one, so far it so good but i found 1 dead pixel also I been reading about problems with the august model and that the one i got.
I plan on going back and getting a warranty from OM. I can right?
If i get it what would happen if i turned it in because of the dead pixel what would they give me since they probably don't have any in stock a the moment?

having dvi issues with this monitor that was purchased last night. at 19x12 everything is fine, is i drop the resolution down to say 16x10 i get this screen looking area to the far right, about as wide as where it says topaz s. analog is good, no issue there. Ati x850xt video card. EDIT : dual boot vista, no problems here. Problem is in xp , not hardware.

Thanks for the time,
Joel

are there any calibration settings or profiles available for this monitor ??

You probably need a newer or different set of drivers for XP, because they aren't handling scaling correctly for you.

the x850's are getting long in the tooth, so I don't know how good driver support is for them in the newer catalyst drivers.

For calibration, my favorite web based tool is here. I also use a little program called checkemon, and various high res color test images.

Settings I came up with for best balance is:

Brightness = 35
Contrast = 60
Red = 50
Green = 50
Blue = 39

Here's the deal though. It is suspected that on the august panels, they biased the overall brightness level much lower. You can access this hidden adjustment, but I found it clunky to deal with. Overall, you're best off to just come up with your own calibration, as I'm sure my numbers won't work perfectly with your panel.

thanks, went with the 7.11 drivers and all is good now. Waiting for the new 8800 early december to jump to the green side.

i'll try the settings and tweaks in the link.
Found 1 dead pixel in the center area, will exchange it after i get a feel for it.

I too got the Soyo yesterday at Office Max. Coming from my Dell 20.1" 2005fpw, I can say that while this monitor is definitely large, it doesn't hold its own against the dell as far as image quality. I can get the thing calibrated pretty good for desktop and web use, but the blacks and grays just aren't there while watching movies. Either the blacks are crushed, or the whites are crushed. Another thing I've noticed is when the screen is black you can see patchinesses in the black in all areas of the screen.

Maybe I'm just an LCD snob, I don't know. It's kind of hard not to be though after reading these forums :)

Overall though, for $250 you can't beat this monitor. Mine's been having random backlight buzzing though, so I'm thinking this thing might go out before the 14 days. We'll see.

I ended up with:
Brightness of 10
Contrast of 90

Then I calibrated with Apple Calibration utility:

Gamma 2.199
White Point 6500

I've had mine for almost 2 months, it's a July build, and it's been great!

I too got the Soyo yesterday at Office Max. Coming from my Dell 20.1" 2005fpw, I can say that while this monitor is definitely large, it doesn't hold its own against the dell as far as image quality. I can get the thing calibrated pretty good for desktop and web use, but the blacks and grays just aren't there while watching movies. Either the blacks are crushed, or the whites are crushed. Another thing I've noticed is when the screen is black you can see patchinesses in the black in all areas of the screen.

Maybe I'm just an LCD snob, I don't know. It's kind of hard not to be though after reading these forums :)

Overall though, for $250 you can't beat this monitor. Mine's been having random backlight buzzing though, so I'm thinking this thing might go out before the 14 days. We'll see.

My monitor does none of the things you have described. I would look into a replacement. As a refrerence, my friend has three Dell LCDs and none of them are close in picture quality to the Soyo.

These images are taken from the great LCD test site: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Can someone look at these and tell me if they can get all 5 top black squares visible under the first image (Contrast/dark level test)

while AT THE SAME TIME getting all 4 bottom white images visible under the 2nd image (White saturation test)?

I cannot get them all to show up perfectly on this Soyo, while my Dell 2005fpw has no problem whatsoever. All four bottom images on the white test should easily be visible, but the last two are always invisible on this monitor. I can't seem to get a good balance and this seems to have a big impact on picture quality in movies. This determines whether or not you can see detail in dark blacks or in whites.

Well I picked mine up yesterday, they had about 10 stacked up in the center near the front. It's a college town (Auburn) so I figured I wouldn't have too much trouble getting one.

I also, have not seen too many pictures of it in action, so I figured I'd throw a bunch up for everyone to check out.

Pictured: 15" Macbook Pro, 24" Soyo, Dell 2005FPW
My initial reaction is that the Soyo is much brighter and vivid than the 2005fpw. Overall very happy with my purchase @$249. Sorry about the pictures if they look a bit grainy....I wasn't using a flash to avoid too much reflection.

The movies playing are from Apple's HD trailers in 1080p. I downloaded the streams and played them through Totem in Ubuntu. The games are at 1920x1200 with settings all the way up except 8x aa 8x af, on a 8800gts. In a couple of the game pictures you can see very faint lines in a grid....you do not see this in any way at all when you are using the monitor. I'm sure it's just some effect from taking the pictures.

dsc02276ew2.jpg

dsc02279jd9.jpg

dsc02284pd6.jpg

dsc02291hw5.jpg

dsc02286pw3.jpg

dsc02289ba4.jpg

dsc02297aq1.jpg

dsc02301kf8.jpg

dsc02302cu4.jpg

These images are taken from the great LCD test site: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Can someone look at these and tell me if they can get all 5 top black squares visible under the first image (Contrast/dark level test)

while AT THE SAME TIME getting all 4 bottom white images visible under the 2nd image (White saturation test)?

I cannot get them all to show up perfectly on this Soyo, while my Dell 2005fpw has no problem whatsoever. All four bottom images on the white test should easily be visible, but the last two are always invisible on this monitor. I can't seem to get a good balance and this seems to have a big impact on picture quality in movies. This determines whether or not you can see detail in dark blacks or in whites.

I am not a huge fan of that particular image to calibrate a monitor. Also, the darkest and lighest images should be visible, but BARELY visible to properly set the white and black levels. In terms of this image though, yes I can adjust the monitor to see everything. I used both the Nvidia control panel and the monitor adjustments to do it. Monitor is at 37 brightness 50 contrast. NVIDIA is at +53% birghtness +43% contrast +9% gamma. Like I said though, I am not sure that I like that image as a test because it hurts contrast levels and color vibrance in my view. I normally stay at same monitor levels and unchanged levels in NVIDIA, which (+50,+50,+9) and I have seen no black crush in video material and I am very sensitive to it.

So i've had this screen for about 2 months now, to replace my 2005fpw 20" ws, and i wanted to say that I have had a good experience with it.

the only gripe i've had with it is that when the screen goes into different resolutions i have to 'reset' it by turning it on and off or else the screen will be blank.

Example: if I am playing a game, that is in another resolution than what my desktop is, and once i alt tab , i have to turn the screen on and then off to be able to see whats on the screen again (or else it will be black screen etc).

I haven't really thought much of it since it was cheap but if theres a fix to this, i'm all ears.

I apologized if this was brought up already as i haven't read through all of the pages.

I notice it in those screenshots above of the games... there's no detail in the blacks... for example the gun in TF2 should have alot more detail and the guy's sweater and hat in HL2. It could be the camera, but this is exactly what I notice on my monitor.

Yeah that's from the photos, in person it looks great. When you don't have enough lighting for a picture you get poor contrast, and especially when taking pictures of an lcd.

Maybe I just need to take this one back and try another. I hate to do that because this one has 0 bad pixels. Guess I'll take a chance.... problem is them having one in stock after yesterday's sale.

If you have buzzing and poor image quality, I'd definitely take it back....after all you do deserve to get what you payed for. When was yours manufactured? Mine says 09/2007, and it seems like people have been having more luck over with the september ones over august.

Maybe I just need to take this one back and try another. I hate to do that because this one has 0 bad pixels. Guess I'll take a chance.... problem is them having one in stock after yesterday's sale.

Just going back to what I mentioned above. I believe that august panels were shipped their brightness / gamma control biased low. You can adjust that "bias" though.

If you want to play around with it, you can access the control for that by pressing two of the buttons on the side simultaneously (I forget which two, you'll have to read back in this thread)

When you do that, you will get a very non-elegant readout on the top right of your display. You can then use the + and - to change some unlabeled setting.

To the naked eye, the adjustment appears to do the same thing as brightness. However, I can guarantee you that it is not just brightness. I accidentally made my July panel very dark and undefined, much like you describe yours, by messing around with this adjustment without thinking. I did successfully get my display back to normal brightness levels though.

Here's what I did:

Open the special menu
Max out the adjustment.
Exit special menu
Go back to the regular HUD and lower brightness way down.
Repeat steps multiple times
Over time, you should see that your monitor gets brighter, and defined.

It worked for me..I maybe forgot a couple deatils, but that was just gist of what I did to fix it. I'm sure that the august panels are the same hardware. But soyo decided to f-up the calibration. With time and patience, I sure you can fix it. But, let me tell you, it's not straight forward. It involves basically saying, "Let's try this and see what happens."

I was messing around with the Half light option and not sure what exactly it is but can someone tell me what numbers were the half light contrast and brightness originally set at?

And one thing, when I adjust the monitor rgb manually buy the screen it doesn"t report the correct numbers at first a see 49/49/35 but then when i highlight one of the colors than i see 36/36/35.

BTW i have the august model and mines seems to not have any problems with the brightness as it is very bright but i don't have the july or sept. model to compare it with.

Edit: I meant high light not half light.
I have had it on for the past day now and i think it hurts my eyes so i turned it off for now but should it be on?

What is the highlight option for? Does anyone recommend using it? Right now I have it off.

Back