Soylent Banned in Canada

monkeymagick

[H]News
No Soylent for you, in Canada. Apparently the Canadian Food Inspection Agency believes the lazy man's food does not meet the requirements as a meal-replacement product. The CEO of Rosa Foods (manufacturer of Soylent) released a statement of the regulatory ban and will try to address the issue as quickly as possible. Developed by techies after getting tired of eating a terrible diet of frozen dinners and Ramen, a bottle of Soylent is designed to give you about 20% of your daily nutrition which contains about 400 calories and 20g of protein.

Hmm, I have a case coming in this Friday from Amazon.

Rhinehart didn't specify which guidelines Soylent fell afoul of, but insists that the standards "do not reflect the current understanding of human nutritional needs..."

Soy protein isolate contains non-negligible amounts of phytoestrogens. Men need phytoestrogens in their food like babies need phthalates in their formula. That is to say, not at all. If soy is at all effective in reducing breast cancer in women, what does it do to men? Leave questionable hormonally-active substances out of my diet, please.

lots of things we cant get in Canada but why on earth is this on a tech site front page?lol

im in Canada and i fine with it, all these stupid replacement food products are out of hand, if you want protein eat an egg or some meat. people who buy these giant tubs of protein powder for workouts are hilarious

I never got this stuff
If its a food replacement, it costs $3x5 to get in 2000 cals a day, and the ingredients are very sub par.

lots of things we cant get in Canada but why on earth is this on a tech site front page?lol

im in Canada and i fine with it, all these stupid replacement food products are out of hand, if you want protein eat an egg or some meat. people who buy these giant tubs of protein powder for workouts are hilarious

As someone who buys giant tubs of protein powder... Not all "Protein Powder" is equal. Meal replacements are fairly common for those that don't have the time to sit and eat, or find that eating is too hard. It's a lot easier to grab a bottle from the fridge, and drink it on the way to work instead of relying on a prepared meal. It's a heck of a lot easier to drink a replacement drink in the car or bus than lug around a lunch box of some type and eat. Some doctors prescribe drinking meal replacements for those that need to gain weight, loose weight or other dietary restrictions.

For example: Up to a surgery, someone whose going to go for Gastric Bypass will usually be advised to drink meal replacements. My grandfather was advised to drink Ensure to gain weight and my ex fiance drank Ensure because she just couldn't eat in the mornings. I've known people that couldn't eat due to medical reasons and needed a liquid diet.

But let's skip all that...

Let's just say you're talking "Protein Powder" like normal protein supplements. Firstly. Whey is a byproduct of cheese making. "Curds and Whey". The curds are used to create cheese. Whey (The liquid) is processed and refined into protein powder.

Let's take a look at Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Whey protein. It's a fairly common, well liked and smooth protein powder. It's nutritional label reads:
- Calories - 120
- Fat: 1g
- Carb: 3g
- Protein 24g

Protein powder helps to tweak your diet in a certain way to your goals and is an invaluable resource. For those that are trying to limit their Carbohydrate and Fat intake but maintain muscle mass, powder is the way to go.

With all that being said. Protein Powder is a supplement. For healthy people, using protein powder is to supplement a healthy diet. Do most healthy people eat? Of course! Eggs and Meat are always on the diet plan and should be the first source for protein. I'll eat my eggs, oatmeal and if I need to, drink some protein powder in water or with milk for even more protein. Here's a challenge for you. Eat about 4000 calories of clean food. Not fast food. Not frozen dinners and not binge eating bread, donuts, pizza, ice cream and the like. Eat plain (Not fried) chicken, steak, eggs, oats, salad, broccoli and you'll quickly welcome supplements in your life.

Last edited:
I've tried all of the different flavors and it's a convenient and clean breakfast substitute for me. Though I'm not familiar with the phytoestrogens and in particular, its use in Soylent vs other similar products.

I've heard it looks and tastes like pancake batter... No thanks.

Guy that I worked with drank Soylent all the time. He somehow convinced a bunch of us to try it because we always gave him crap about it. It was...alright. Not something I'd drink regularly. It tasted like stale cereal milk to me.

It's just the name for me. The whole "Soylent Green" ruined the words soylent+food for me.

Guy that I worked with drank Soylent all the time. He somehow convinced a bunch of us to try it because we always gave him crap about it. It was...alright. Not something I'd drink regularly. It tasted like stale cereal milk to me.

One of the guys at work did the same except he added small flavoring like vanilla, chocolate, etc to it to break up the taste. I actually thought it was just fine.

As someone who buys giant tubs of protein powder... /snipsnip
The only downside to powder is that it doesnt do what it remotely claims. The absorbtion rates have been studied both at rest and under exercise and frankly its just to dense and gets processed to fast to actually do anything. As men eating a steak after a workout is more effective though more costly obviously.

That's generally the downside with meal replacements anyway. All calories are not equal and all metabolic processes do not yield 100% efficiency in the human body especially when you consider different biochemistries of different people.

Though that said I will admit I still use protien powders myself. Sometimes science doesnt win against the raw placebo effect of a well confused mind.

I have been using Soylent for the past few years as a meal replacement but not all my meals in a day. Its typically my breakfast every morning and sometimes my lunch if work is especially busy that day. Its cheap, doesnt need to be refrigerated and is pre-made. Having a shelf life of a year helps also with leaving a case at work.

I have never replace all my meals with it as I enjoy food way to much, its more for the convenience factor. When Im too busy or dont have time to make a proper meal.

Its done a fantastic job a curbing my snacking and in the end helped me loose weight, something I wasnt planning on it doing.

If you like almond milk I describe it as a slightly thicker almond milk. Highly suggested you try it cold the first time as most dont enjoy "milk like" products warm.

The only downside to powder is that it doesnt do what it remotely claims. The absorbtion rates have been studied both at rest and under exercise and frankly its just to dense and gets processed to fast to actually do anything. As men eating a steak after a workout is more effective though more costly obviously.

That's generally the downside with meal replacements anyway. All calories are not equal and all metabolic processes do not yield 100% efficiency in the human body especially when you consider different biochemistries of different people.

Though that said I will admit I still use protien powders myself. Sometimes science doesnt win against the raw placebo effect of a well confused mind.

True. Eating is the much preferred method of getting what you need. I've actually read that bodybuilding only took half a scoop to make sure that they weren't having the protein turn to fat.

But in this sport, there's a lot of broscience and not enough science. Not to mention there's studies that'll say one thing, suggest another thing and still will claim that the moon will crash into the sun. So...

Soy is bad for men, it lowers testosterone and bad for women with breast cancer as it raises estrogen.

Sure enough guy that created it looks like a skinny fat vegan with a neck struggling to support his head.

If you're going to sell a proper meal replacement at least look like it's healthy.

Soy is bad for men, it lowers testosterone and bad for women with breast cancer as it raises estrogen.

Sure enough guy that created it looks like a skinny fat vegan with a neck struggling to support his head.

If you're going to sell a proper meal replacement at least look like it's healthy.

That's why you hire models to do the talking.

Ever since I saw the facilities in which they prep this stuff, I've stayed the hell away from it.

So you are saying there are people out there, that when they shove something in their pie hole, it does something other than; get oxidized, stored, comes out the other end undigested? What other exit path is there?

Its going to get burned as fuel and oxidized.
Stored either as more human, fat, or short term storage protein(amino acid pool) or glycogen.
Or its going to give you indigestion and come out the other end raw.

Pretty sure its not going to do something magical.

Too bad Charlton Heston isn't still with us, I'd love to know what he thinks of this... :D

The running theory is that Soylent gets something like 43%of it's calorie content from fats where Canada says you can only market products as a full food replacement of it contains less than 30% of it's energy from fat.

This is why it's described as a regulatory issue since the restrictions were made back in the "fats are bad" times where now we understand that fats generally aren't bad.

What's funny is if they just put a bunch of sugar in there it would pass the requirements while simultaniously being far worse for your body.

Their "Coffiest" bottles are pretty good imho, I've been using that as a substitute for my morning coffee and breakfast, quite convenient. Not crazy about the plain flavor one but sometimes it's not bad when I can't do proper lunch between meetings.

Millennials are generally FUBAR, Soylent fits them perfectly.

Off topic but I am rooting for the Millennials. They are at least a generation below me, but everything they are doing, especially in the workforce seems to be benefiting all the other employees in some way.

Millennials are more than willing to jump companies for perks and benefits. And wont entertain working at companies that don't have something to offer. This means old farts like me are seeing an upturn in perks because the company is trying to lure the next generation in.

Millennials have no fear of losing their jobs because they aren't tying themselves down with a home mortgage. This means companies don't just have to lure them in, they have to fight harder to keep them too. Extra perks!

Millennials are also willing to talk about how much they make. This is taboo for my generation. But this forces the companies to be more fair with wages. They don't want someone like me walking because I heard that the inexperienced kids are making as much as me, so they make sure my salary is increased. This is especially beneficial to people that are too passive to confront management an ask for what they rightfully deserve.

So if millennials want to drink a nasty shake instead of eating a steak, or shrug off buying homes, I'll accept their choices and support them.

Soy protein isolate contains non-negligible amounts of phytoestrogens. Men need phytoestrogens in their food like babies need phthalates in their formula. That is to say, not at all. If soy is at all effective in reducing breast cancer in women, what does it do to men? Leave questionable hormonally-active substances out of my diet, please.

Meanwhile, Soy is consumed in large quantities in Asia and there is no problem over there

is this what liberals drink to keep there estrogen levels up?

Perhaps, but China is the largest consumer of soy, and they have zero liberals, so such jokes sound really dumb.

I enjoy it. But, I use it as a snack...not an outright replacement for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Meanwhile, Soy is consumed in large quantities in Asia and there is no problem over there

Perhaps, but China is the largest consumer of soy, and they have zero liberals, so such jokes sound really dumb.
I've often wondered of there could be a difference in processing that causes the issues.

Well China also has super strict gun control, drugs, overt censorship, black vans that grab people off the street and a communist party in power so I think you may be a little off on that. In most definitions this is basically a utopia, but in reality is its a dystonia.

Last edited:
Off topic but I am rooting for the Millennials. They are at least a generation below me, but everything they are doing, especially in the workforce seems to be benefiting all the other employees in some way.

Millennials are more than willing to jump companies for perks and benefits. And wont entertain working at companies that don't have something to offer. This means old farts like me are seeing an upturn in perks because the company is trying to lure the next generation in.

Millennials have no fear of losing their jobs because they aren't tying themselves down with a home mortgage. This means companies don't just have to lure them in, they have to fight harder to keep them too. Extra perks!

Millennials are also willing to talk about how much they make. This is taboo for my generation. But this forces the companies to be more fair with wages. They don't want someone like me walking because I heard that the inexperienced kids are making as much as me, so they make sure my salary is increased. This is especially beneficial to people that are too passive to confront management an ask for what they rightfully deserve.

So if millennials want to drink a nasty shake instead of eating a steak, or shrug off buying homes, I'll accept their choices and support them.

Awesomeness in this reply!

So you are saying there are people out there, that when they shove something in their pie hole, it does something other than; get oxidized, stored, comes out the other end undigested? What other exit path is there?

Its going to get burned as fuel and oxidized.
Stored either as more human, fat, or short term storage protein(amino acid pool) or glycogen.
Or its going to give you indigestion and come out the other end raw.

Pretty sure its not going to do something magical.
Your reasoning has some absolutely massive holes in it because you are looking at it with a broad scope. If i take the average digestive processes of 6 billion humans.. its pretty basic. I can even break it down into some pretty basic equations. If I look at individual humans variance in acidity, local body fauna, or local environmental fauna, etc things get complex in a hurry.

Armchair biochems or people with access to google will often say "a calorie is a calorie". This isn't true in practice though because while yes physically 100 calories of rice vs 100 calories of beef are identical in terms of energy both processes happen in different ways and can be assisted or hindered by a wide host of other factors. Time existing in the digestive tract being one of the most important factors.

That's where food replacements usually fail. They are often made dense and because of that usually do not fully process after consumption. If I feed you a 10000 calorie drink at 5am and give you no other food all day long you will absolutely not process all 10000 calories. By 5pm you will be hungry. Biology is weird that way. It's less about the volume and more about the amount over time that matters. Even the US military gave up on complete "drink" meal methods because they just cannot supply the needed nutrition(and fiber etc) over time.

Never understood why people drink / eat food replacements? Why not just eat food? Life is pretty simple, when Im hungry I eat, thirsty I drink, sleepy I sleep. People make things so overly difficult.

Never understood why people drink / eat food replacements? Why not just eat food? Life is pretty simple, when Im hungry I eat, thirsty I drink, sleepy I sleep. People make things so overly difficult.

Lack of dirty dishes, mobility, ease of consumption. I "eat" a lot of home made oat based Soylent, simply because I get obsessive with projects at work and forget to eat. It is a lot of my diet, but not entirely. Having a shaker bottle in my bag that I can just add water to keeps me from crashing on the 11-15 mile (depends on if I want scenic or traffic) bike commute home from work.

Lack of dirty dishes, mobility, ease of consumption. I "eat" a lot of home made oat based Soylent, simply because I get obsessive with projects at work and forget to eat. It is a lot of my diet, but not entirely. Having a shaker bottle in my bag that I can just add water to keeps me from crashing on the 11-15 mile (depends on if I want scenic or traffic) bike commute home from work.

Forget to eat? How! The job can wait :)

Back