Southbridge Overheat?

M0710NM4N

Weaksauce
So I have an old system (low income)... Maximus Formula 1 motherboard and just recently, on every single boot... I get Southbridge overheat detected. But I can hit F1 Resume and load right in a no issues aside from that. Can a Southbridge overheat in the 20 seconds or so it takes to get to that point? Seems odd... like maybe another issue?

Last edited:
So I have an old system (low income)... Maximus Formula 1 motherboard and just recently, on every single initial boot... I get Southbridge overheat detected. But I can load right in a no issues aside from that. Can a Southbridge overheat in the 20 seconds or so it takes to get to that point? Seems odd... like maybe another issue?

Likely a sensor issue if its popping up right away and there is no ill effects with the system afterward. You could always remove the heatsink and reapply paste, but I don't think that is your issue.

Likely a sensor issue if its popping up right away and there is no ill effects with the system afterward. You could always remove the heatsink and reapply paste, but I don't think that is your issue.

Appreciate the reply. I was kinda of thinking it odd that an overheat could happen so fast. If the system was rebooting on it's own with that issue, it would make more sense. I guess I will have to keep my fingers crossed, as I am at least a yr away from being able to swing a new build.

Appreciate the reply. I was kinda of thinking it odd that an overheat could happen so fast. If the system was rebooting on it's own with that issue, it would make more sense. I guess I will have to keep my fingers crossed, as I am at least a yr away from being able to swing a new build.

Install a temperature monitor that can see the southbridge. It has a sensor, so that shouldn't be hard to find. Then check if its some obscure number, ignore it. If it sits at like 70 or something (I forget what an ideal SB temperature is), apply paste and see if it changes.

Install a temperature monitor that can see the southbridge. It has a sensor, so that shouldn't be hard to find. Then check if its some obscure number, ignore it. If it sits at like 70 or something (I forget what an ideal SB temperature is), apply paste and see if it changes.

Funny you mention that. I was actually trying to find software that would find the SB and tried the top 2 and no joy... HWMonitor and AIDA64. Any other recommendations?

It might be listed as "system temperature" or temp1 or something like that. HWMonitor should have no issues.

You could try SpeedFan

Back