South Park : The Stick of Truth

The game looks exactly like the show, not sure why people expected graphic options. In terms of visuals what would you even turn up or down?

90% of the time review site use Dev build to enable cheats to complete the game. So... I've heard 15 hours, witch is plenty of South Park imho.

As for the option, it only need a vsych. Otherwise, turn off the subtitles and anyone would think you're watching the show. I use a gamepad, work perfectly, it's a jrpg.

It's mostly jaggies free at 1440p, down look much better in 4k downscaled so I use native.

I am just glad this is not a platformer.. Rpg style or adventure work very well.

The engine is awesome it look almost like the show, not quite, but almost, even the fake shadows and fake carton style texture in cutscenes :)

Last edited:
90% of the time review site use Dev build to enable cheats to complete the game. So... I've heard 15 hours, witch is plenty of South Park imho.

Where did you get that information? Review builds are final or occasionally pre-Gold builds of a game on a generic disc. Reviewers do have to burn through a game though so their time estimates can be off. I've heard its around 9 or so hours to complete the main story, but there are tons of side quests to do.

Played 5 mins this morning before work.

Consisted of character taking a poop then being able to inventory the poop for later.

I think I'll enjoy this game.

I don't think it's a terrible PC port, It's FPS is locked at 30fps but I think it's designed that way, it has to do with the "film effect"

TB said something similar (related to the "animation style") but I don't believe that excuse for a second. This is a PC game, not a cartoon show on TV. IMO there is zero excuse why they could not have this game running at 60+ FPS and still maintain the same feeling.

As for graphics options...not many expected or needed, since it is essentially a 2D side-scroller.

TB said something similar (related to the "animation style") but I don't believe that excuse for a second. This is a PC game, not a cartoon show on TV. IMO there is zero excuse why they could not have this game running at 60+ FPS and still maintain the same feeling.

As for graphics options...not many expected or needed, since it is essentially a 2D side-scroller.

I havent gotten a chance to play it last night or this morning. I mean locking it at 30 frames would not make it unplayable and I'm sure there will be a tweak or fix that can raise the cap.

Also, WTF SOUTH PARK Y U NO TESSELATION?!?!!!

They wanted the game to look exactly like the TV show. That was one of their big goals with it.

They wanted the game to look exactly like the TV show. That was one of their big goals with it.

But surely you should know that an interlaced/motion-blurred 30 FPS on TV is not the same as 30 FPS in a PC game.

But surely you should know that an interlaced/motion-blurred 30 FPS on TV is not the same as 30 FPS in a PC game.

Tell that to the people who made the decision. Let me ask you this: Does it matter one single bit that the game is running at 30 vs 60? Does it effect the gameplay at all?

I don't think it's a terrible PC port, It's FPS is locked at 30fps but I think it's designed that way, it has to do with the "film effect"
It's fine to provide a 30 Hz lock as an option, but there's no reason to enforce it.

Does it matter one single bit that the game is running at 30 vs 60? Does it effect the gameplay at all?
A lot of visual attributes don't directly affect gameplay. Textures, for instance. Would you advocate texture-less games?

Are we really arguing about framerate and graphic options in a 2D South Park game?

To be honest this the 30fps lock doesn't bother me one bit for this game.

If people complain about it maybe this will change it I don't know and I don't really care to be honest.

15 or less hours does sound pretty short, I've spent 3 hrs in the game and haven't really gotten anywhere, there is way to much stuff to explore. Butters keeps telling me to get back to the quest lol... I keep seeing all the little items from the shows history in game when I'm exploring, just seems a waste for any big south park fan to run through it fast.

I'll withhold my judgement on the story length till I'm actually done with it.

A lot of visual attributes don't directly affect gameplay. Textures, for instance. Would you advocate texture-less games?

So a higher frame rate which would accomplish all of nothing in a game like this is the same as textures now? There just doesn't seem to be much reason to care about the low frame rate in this game. It's not going to look more like the TV show running at 60 or 120FPS and if they really did intentionally design every to specifically work at 30FPS it could even break the animations. The default key layout and not being able to rebind them seems like a MUCH bigger issue with this port. If this was a racing game or shooter I could understand the argument, but nothing about this game looks like it will benefit from being unlocked.

To be honest playing the game the lack of graphics options/30fps lock isn't really even noticeable imo, it looks and plays just like the show.

Also regarding the length, it can depend heavily on your play style.

I have put three hours into the game so far and I haven't even finished the first main quest, I just been exploring random areas and doing some sidequest.

Here's what my character looks like for now, found a few items.

southparks1_zps9d684e9f.png

Hey guys, could a few of you check into your installed game folder (with the game launching .exe)? I've been hearing across the Internet that strangely, there is a "WinSCP.exe" and "WinSCP.ini" in the game's directory. I can't think of any legit reason there should be a WinSCP FTP/Putty/SSH client/sever preconfigured in a game directory, so its a bit worrisome if this turns out to be true. Some have said it has to do with the game checking if it should display censored or uncensored content, but I thought that was dependent on the game files themselves downloaded from Steam, not that all versions use the same content and then connect to some server somewhere and report your IP, to determine what to show? Some of the people that claim to see the files bought their keys from outside the US, so i wonder if that has something to do with it.

So could someone check their game installed directory.. ( Steam/steamapps/common/south park the stick of truth/ - or something similar?) for these two files? Thanks.

Hmm. Curious. Thanks for checking. And not to be indelicate, but could you confirm if you're using a direct-from-Steam, USA locale purchased version of the game, a Steam key purchased from somewhere else, or could be hypothetically using a cracked release? If every copy has this, that's one thing. If it is limited to a particular set of circumstances, then mayhap we can narrow it down as to why.

I bought my key from greenmangaming and downloaded it through steam, I am in the US and in my steam account details (where it lists the games and things you have tied to your account) it says "South Park the stick of truth ultimate fellowship pack (pre order) retail."

So a higher frame rate which would accomplish all of nothing in a game like this is the same as textures now?
No, I'm just suggesting that your enjoyment of, say, Crysis would've been hampered had the game used only colored surfaces rather than textures, even if it didn't impact actual gameplay. I can respect artistic direction in having the game presented in a certain way (and I'm a big fan of filmic presentation in general), but a properly-engineered game should be able to scale up to higher frame rates at the player's discretion.

No, I'm just suggesting that your enjoyment of, say, Crysis would've been hampered had the game used only colored surfaces rather than textures, even if it didn't impact actual gameplay. I can respect artistic direction in having the game presented in a certain way (and I'm a big fan of filmic presentation in general), but a properly-engineered game should be able to scale up to higher frame rates at the player's discretion.

It's an Obsidian game that didn't release broken worse than BF4, silly design decisions and potentially messed up animation engine coding is a sign of improvement.

I heard that Matt and Trey specifically put in the request for limiting the PC version to 30 frames.

I don't get how anyone could complain on this game. Just played for a few hours and this game is incredible.

Finally got to play a bit and display my mighty Wizard King figure.

So glad I got the controller, lets me lean back in the chair, and just enjoy the whole thing while kicking back.

I wont get much playtime this week, but I can easily see me losing myself in this over the weekend. :)

I really want this now after watching a few minutes of it on Steam. I haven't watched the show in years. The 10-12 hours to beat doesn't really bother me since I don't have that much time to play games these days. If the game is too long i lose interest before I have finished it.

Now if only I can find it cheaper than 60 bucks.

If your a fan of the show at all this is a definite pick up. I'm enjoying the atmosphere and references immensely.

While I do agree allowing 60 fps would make the exploring look a bit smoother. I don't think it really hurts the game play and feel.There is also no real need for graphic options. The game looks how its intended to and I feel they nailed it.

On the other hand if you have only seen a couple episodes of the show I would pass on the game altogether. I think to much stuff wouldn't make sense and the enjoyment would be lost quickly.

Loving it so far but I'm a little bummed about no cloud save on steam but that's a minor issue to me. 30fps to me is fine for this type of game.

Anyone having problems learning skills from Eric?

I'm learning the 2nd skill and it just won't work, Hold Left Mouse, Press A, then D to get the frequency.. and it just never happens right. I managed to get the first dragonbreath skill from him but the ranged attack skill isn't working.

Nevermind figured it out.

Last edited:
I don't really see how you could beat this in 10-12 hours. I've played about 5-6 and I only just completed the second quest. I haven't even done any side quests yet. I guess I just like wandering around and exploring though.

I don't really see how you could beat this in 10-12 hours. I've played about 5-6 and I only just completed the second quest. I haven't even done any side quests yet. I guess I just like wandering around and exploring though.

i have 7 hours played and i only just did the first quest for cartman just stopped playing for the night right after handing it in.

but i guess as a reviewer you could be forced to power through the main quests faster than the average player because you need to get to the end for the review to be complete.

they likely miss a lot of exploring and stuff

like at the beginning i doubt many reviewers hear cartman say "this player is hardcore he interacted with everything in my keep"

lol this game is such a blast, and I really don't see how you can beat it in just 12 hours if you care about the sidequests/exploring, etc.

I have 7 hours in and I just got done with my "first day" in south park.

I love how the game not only has the inside jokes for fans of the show but also has inside jokes for gamers.

At one point in a certain mission you come across "audio logs" and if you ever played a game that has audio logs in it (cough Dead Space) you will agree with everything it says.

Also was laughing when in an earlier mission to find the "bard" you get to a certain point and if you dilly dally around checking things and making sure you've picked up/colected things you'll get Butters saying some hilarious things.

Loving it so far but I'm a little bummed about no cloud save on steam but that's a minor issue to me. 30fps to me is fine for this type of game.

I think the 30fps thing was on purpose for the aesthetic. It really amazes me how dead on they nailed the look and feel of the show, and part of that is the animation. Given that the show's animation is done at 30fps (progressive, have a look at it on DVD or computer some time) it would change the way it looked to have higher FPS. Same way a 48fps movie looks different from a 24fps one.

Given the highly stylized nature of the graphics, and that they seem to be dead set on emulating the show as much as possible, the 30fps doesn't surprise me and I suspect that style, not technical issues, dictated it.

The game seems to run on the Onyx engine, which is what Obsidian made for Dungeon Siege 3, so it likely isn't any kind of engine limitation.

WALL OF TEXT INC

So I'm about 10 hours in and still have tons of content left to do.. I really disagree with the whole "15 hours and done" viewpoint being spread by the gaming media outlets. I think I'll get 20-25 out of this game honestly and for $60 that's more than enough to satisfy me frankly , I'm use to spending $60 on games that don't even give half that and are not even close to 1/4 as fun as this game is.

Where do I start? Needless to say , if you are not a South Park fan or haven't watched the show in years you probably should skip this game. This entire game is a love letter to the fanbase without question. Its painstakingly crafted and the fact that it looks EXACTLY like an episode of modern day South Park (since the show is now 17 years old.. wow) in HD is simply incredible. South Park isn't exactly a show packed with cutting edge animation but it still shows how much work went into this game and frankly it dwarfs recent efforts in memory and probably did so for not even a 1/3 of the budget of the usual AAA title garbage we are all use to seeing.

I don't think I've laughed for so many hours in such a long time. If I was participating in a study to find out if laughter was good for your health , there would be a massive spike for during a short period of time and frankly I would be ejected from the study for possibly messing with the results. That's how much pure joy I've gotten from some of the best moments in this game (god bless Randy and Cartman). Everyone prime time character in South Park is fully fleshed out (with the exception of Chef which due to legal reasons and because Isaac Hayes is a hypocrite who was happy to insult every other religion except Scientology and quit the show) to such a degree that its virtually impossible to tell the difference between the game and just a regular episode of the show. Its honestly a 20+ hour long episode with featured gameplay , I know that will turn off some people but there is more to explain that will justify playing the game and not waiting for someone to upload the cut scenes to Youtube.

The actual RPG elements are done pretty well. They are not groundbreaking and it shows that they had to cut back on some ideas due to the huge amount of development time to get this game to release. But they do serve well and its a good system that will prove challenging for the most part. If you are expecting something "new" and "different" the RPG elements in this game will not surprise you. There are times when the game asks you to do something and it doesn't really give you much slack in doing so and it can be frustrating (the quick time events , a few of them at least , are very pin point timed and not very forgiving) but thankfully these moments are far and few between.

The game is a little buggy (big surprise considering the developer..) but I haven't ran into ANY show stopping bugs. I would say the game has been 99 percent bug free for me. Its a funny reminder that while this game which isn't technically a masterpiece came out of a long and hard development intact and working well while other games that have 3 to 4 times the budget and huge teams that are seasoned at their genre seemingly can't release anything but beta states for the consumers to deal with full of bugs for months on end (*COUGH* BF4 *COUGH*).

The story line is hysterical and if you are update to date with the TV show you'll get all the funny references made during the now infamous 3 part Black Friday show that mocked the big shopping day and next gen systems. It plays off that story line but branches off into completely new territory and pretty much rips off Skyrim in tons of ways (but done so with love and not trying to pass itself off as something different) but this is a good thing.

I can't really say much more without spoiling great moments in the game so the real question is "Is this game worth $60 for the South Park fan?" Yes and yes again. Its a great blend of so many parts of the show that have kept it funny and going for so many years. "Is this game worth $60 for a gamer looking for a new RPG to play?" NO .. plain and simple. This game is for South Park fans and even if you have watched some of the show .. you will miss out on all the references and be lost while your friends who have kept up with it are laughing their collective asses off.

This game is a nice refreshing mix of elements and I love that it mocks some of the more recent boring trends that have taken hold in movies , tv and video games. It bucks the trend and attempts to not "innovate" but simply "entertain". Considering there have been so many bad South Park video games throughout the life of the show this is without a single doubt THE BEST and likely the best for all time based on the show. Matt and Trey have managed to push off the transition very well and with a very respectable effort as well. This game oozes (among other things..) its sole purpose .. to keep you smiling and wanting to play more.

Now if you don't mind I have to shrink my character down and go adventuring into someone's anus.

i just like taking shits in everyones house. fuck this game owns.

Back