South Korean University Developing the Robots That Will Kill Us ALL!

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
The Guardian is reporting that artificial intelligence researchers from nearly 30 countries are boycotting the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology. KAIST has been in partnership with defence manufacturer Hanwha Systems to develop autonomous weapons. The boycott stems from a report on Korea Times announcing that KAIST and Hanwha Systems were opening a joint research center, in order to develop autonomous arms.

We used to be somewhat joking about robots killing us all. But the time is now upon us. And thankfully the resistance is being lead by AI researchers all around the world. "Thanks" to scojer for providing us with the news of our impending demise.

KAIST’s president, Sung-Chul Shin, said he was saddened to hear of the boycott. “I would like to reaffirm that KAIST does not have any intention to engage in development of lethal autonomous weapons systems and killer robots,” Shin said in a statement.

The Guardian is reporting that artificial intelligence researchers from nearly 30 countries are boycotting the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology. KAIST has been in partnership with defence manufacturer Hanwha Systems to develop autonomous weapons. The boycott stems from a report on Korea Times announcing that KAIST and Hanwha Systems were opening a joint research center, in order to develop autonomous arms.

We used to be somewhat joking about robots killing us all. But the time is now upon us. And thankfully the resistance is being lead by AI researchers all around the world. "Thanks" to scojer for providing us with the news of our impending demise.

KAIST’s president, Sung-Chul Shin, said he was saddened to hear of the boycott. “I would like to reaffirm that KAIST does not have any intention to engage in development of lethal autonomous weapons systems and killer robots,” Shin said in a statement.

The article is written in a way that is making me doubt that it's more than a few people scattered around making more of it than it really is.

More than "50 Leading Academics" from 30 different countries really isn't a ground swell considering AI is a booming world wide movement.

Furthermore, saying;
“This is a very respected university partnering with a very ethically dubious partner that continues to violate international norms.”

I'd like to see why they make this claim about Hanwha Systems. I havn't been able to find anything claiming these guys are all "Big Evil" Inc.

Anyone see anything on them?

Thing is, do any of you see a difference in this;

3455.jpg

And a fully autonomous this? Where it's the gun system on a warship that uses AI to improve it's ability to determine if aircraft are really threats and if so, how to deal with them best.

40mm_01.jpg

EDITED: Oh, I think I see why they are calling the company ethically dubious;
Hanwha is one of South Korea’s largest weapons manufacturers, and makes cluster munitions which are banned in 120 countries under an international treaty. South Korea, along with the US, Russia and China, are not signatories to the convention.

I wonder how many of those 120 countries don't actually produce or sell Cluster Munitions Weapon Systems ?

I mean, it's easy to complain about something that you don't have and that other people do.

Last edited:
And a fully autonomous this? Where it's the gun system on a warship that uses AI to improve it's ability to determine if aircraft are really threats and if so, how to deal with them best.

Yeah, semi-autonomous arms have existed for quite some time. They're usually just setup with a fire control that has to get permission to fire. I believe the latest versions of the CIWS (and spinoffs) do that. It selects the targets, the priority, and handles all trajectory calculations. The only thing the human operator has to do is give it permission to engage.

Military wise, I think AI will be used for this purpose. Target selection, tracking, and priorization. It's when they let the AI start talking to eachother that's when we're all f-ed.

If they are doing this now I suspect DARPA to at least two steps ahead. Time to bow down before your robot overlords (and hope they don't chop your head off).

They are not going to kill shit. They can be easily destroyed. People need to stop with this THEY WILL KILL US ALL! nonsense. /sarcasm *please don't hurt me.

Battery Scientist Here:

I'm not worried.... They wont have the energy density to run longer than 5 minutes for quite some time :)

What-is-a-Van-de-Graaff-Generator-2.jpg

I'm not worried.... They wont have the energy density to run longer than 5 minutes for quite some time :)

I know the pic is a$$backwards for the subject, but their energy resource could be the enslaved would be victims.

i am going to save the world with a carpet square and rub my feet and touch all of these robots with the power of static energy

The article is written in a way that is making me doubt that it's more than a few people scattered around making more of it than it really is.

More than "50 Leading Academics" from 30 different countries really isn't a ground swell considering AI is a booming world wide movement.

Furthermore, saying;

I'd like to see why they make this claim about Hanwha Systems. I havn't been able to find anything claiming these guys are all "Big Evil" Inc.

Anyone see anything on them?

Thing is, do any of you see a difference in this;

View attachment 64656

View attachment 64657

EDITED: Oh, I think I see why they are calling the company ethically dubious;

I wonder how many of those 120 countries don't actually produce or sell Cluster Munitions Weapon Systems ?

I mean, it's easy to complain about something that you don't have and that other people do.
Hey, the good ol' US of A, leading manufacturer of shit that kills. Good to know we still lead in SOMETHING (tho I doubt any of their engineers and researchers are American, since an H1N1 visa guy is cheaper and smarter than an American engineering graduate). :(

If they are doing this now I suspect DARPA to at least two steps ahead. Time to bow down before your robot overlords (and hope they don't chop your head off).
Nah, they'll need us for batteries and lube oil...

Back