South Korea May Make Sexual Harassment in Online Games Punishable by Law

Except it's not and sexual harassment also happens to men.

And if it does to you in a video game put on your big boy/girl pants and report them and then block them.

Why people think they should never have to even be exposed to something potentially unpleasant just boggles my mind. And if you think the government, of all things, is going to provide a perfect shield for your delicate sensibilities - well, have fun living in your utopia.

Last edited:
Only if people like you promise to move to them too after they adopt those kinds of policies.

I found some cheese for your whine. Careful with the knife, it may be as edgy as your comment.

TELEMMGLPICT000159114527_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQfyf2A9a6I9YchsjMeADBa08.jpg

And if it does to you in a video game put on your big boy/girl pants and report them and then block them.

Why people think they should never have to even be exposed to something potentially unpleasant just boggles my mind. And if you think the government, of all things, is going to provide a perfect shield for your delicate sensibilities - well, have fun living in your utopia.

Right, you report + block and they would have the face the consequences for their actions. Probably given a fine they have to pay, or if they do it often enough, more serious consequences. Plus, if their real name or unique number (ss# or something) is attached to the account, then that would help ensure they can't just buy another copy of the game to continue being creepy assholes.

If I'm a paying customer and I'm playing a game, there is no reason I should be exposed to that kind of crap. Just like how there is security at baseball / football games, just like how there's cops you can call if you're harassed, etc. The private sector has had enough time to grow and moderate this kind of behavior. The fantastic display of failure is what prompted Korea to legislate actual law for this.

w
The fantastic display of failure is what prompted Korea to legislate actual law for this.

lol - if you think passing a law is going to magically change things... how? In the meantime the amount of people abusing it to leverage the government against those they don't like...

The only thing good about this situation is at least I don't live in South Korea. I can point and laugh from afar, especially a year from now when this really gets ugly.

there is no reason I should be exposed to that kind of crap.

But it's probably going to happen, so just block and move on. Adding the government to the mix isn't going to be the magical unicorn fart that fixes everything that you are longing for.

lol - if you think passing a law is going to magically change things... how? In the meantime the amount of people abusing it to leverage the government against those they don't like...

The only thing good about this situation is at least I don't live in South Korea. I can point and laugh from afar, especially a year from now when this really gets ugly.

That's why you have logs and why the report button exists. It's no different than what's going on now -- just that people will actually be held accountable for their actions.

But it's probably going to happen, so just block and move on. Adding the government to the mix isn't going to be the magical unicorn fart that fixes everything that you are longing for.

We'll see. I think it's a step in the right direction and will actually make people think twice before being a total dick just because you have anonymity. Nothing's ever going to be perfect but there has to be a point where intervention is needed.

in the case of south korea it will.similar to china, south korea also requires you to use your SS number to create an online account for most if not all online games. so you can't really hide.

I actually approve of this and would like to see it in other nations, even though it'll be costly to implement an identification system like Koreas at first, it'd aid in creating and maintaining our civilized society. If you can't say/do something on the streets, you probably shouldn't expect to be able to do it online either. It's also not a free-speech issue either. Anonymity and consequences of what you say have always been a separate thing.

I cant shot people on the street, I cant steel cars on the street, I cant drive tanks in public, etc etc.

I can do all that and more online.

I cant shot people on the street, I cant steel cars on the street, I cant drive tanks in public, etc etc.

I can do all that and more online.

Doing that online doesn't affect others in the real world in a meaningful way. Verbal/sexual harassment does.

Only if your a weak fragile human. I mean if me calling you a pussy effects you in real life, then how come me killing you online doesn't?

I don't think you understand how sexual harassment works. What you're describing is toxic behavior, not sexual harassment.

I don't think you understand how sexual harassment works. What you're describing is toxic behavior, not sexual harassment.

Oh no I get it, based on the snowflakes hurt feelings about shit happening online, every time I was teabaged I was sexually harassed.

Back