Sources: The Upgraded PlayStation 4 is Codenamed NEO, Contains Upgraded CPU, GPU, RAM

Rather than calling these point release consoles, I'm kinda wondering if these won't be pitched as totally new machines that just so happen to be backwardly compatible. It's a new paradigm, but it's not like they aren't a new machine. It's probably a lot easier to swallow another $300-500 purchase if what you're buying isn't just a better current-gen machine, too.

Well the thing that sucks is that instead of looking forward to the next gen we are now going to always be afraid that our console is going to be obsolete in a year.
And when a game takes 2-3 years to produce the entire console paradigm sucks.

Well the thing that sucks is that instead of looking forward to the next gen we are now going to always be afraid that our console is going to be obsolete in a year.

Consoles really depended on technology advancing quickly enough that decent hardware would become cheap about once every 5 years. That hasn't happened this time around, but people still want better graphics... so they've been forced to move closer to the price and upgrade cycle of a low-end PC.

The only reason we didn't hit a wall during 7th gen was because a lot of people were still new to HDTVs or didn't even have 1080p capable televisions. 4K, if it takes off, could kill off affordable consoles if people come to expect 4K gaming next gen. So on top of slow advancement, we're dealing with resolution as a moving target.

Last edited:
Consoles really depended on technology advancing quickly enough that decent hardware would become cheap about once every 5 years. That hasn't happened this time around, but people still want better graphics... so they've been forced to move closer to the price and upgrade cycle of a low-end PC.

The only reason we didn't hit a wall during 7th gen was because a lot of people were still new to HDTVs or didn't even have 1080p capable televisions.

The only reason we didn't hit a wall during 7th gen was because a lot of people were still new to HDTVs or didn't even have 1080p capable televisions.

Yeah but it was also an engineering cop out for everyone to move to x86 on AMD. That is what will ruin console gaming forever. Everything the same....console parity....let's all wear our shirt tails out and vape.....

Yeah but it was also an engineering cop out for everyone to move to x86 on AMD. That is what will ruin console gaming forever. Everything the same....console parity....let's all wear our shirt tails out and vape.....
and don't forget the neck-beards!

edit:
Despite Microsoft's insistence that they do not want to see an upgraded XB1 apparently a random Neogaf user has confirmed that XB1.5 is a reality.....and get this.....will be more powerful than the PS4.5 ARGHHH!!!!!

don't click this BS link

New Bitmap Image (2).png

looks like a legit source. thnx for that... :|

Obsolete?

The whole point is that EVERY GAME with a 'PS4' logo on it will still run on a PS4. It will just have additional FPS and quality on the PS4K.

Honestly, These consoles were 'obsolete' at launch by your standards. Shitty games with graphical glitches and janky framerates were the norm BEFORE the NEO, don't try to attempt to rewrite history by saying that they only appeared after it.

Obsolete?

The whole point is that EVERY GAME with a 'PS4' logo on it will still run on a PS4. It will just have additional FPS and quality on the PS4K.

Honestly, These consoles were 'obsolete' at launch by your standards. Shitty games with graphical glitches and janky framerates were the norm BEFORE the NEO, don't try to attempt to rewrite history by saying that they only appeared after it.

I am not trying to rewrite history. What I am saying is you will always be chasing the carrot of new upgraded systems. Systems with new power, new features, new controllers.

I am not trying to rewrite history. What I am saying is you will always be chasing the carrot of new upgraded systems. Systems with new power, new features, new controllers.

And that is different from history how?

Xbox 360. Xbox 360 Elite. Xbox 360 Slim.

PS3, PS3 Slim.

Sixaxis controller. DualShock 3.

That's just the last generation. This is just the first time it actually improves the overall game play experience.

What I am saying is you will always be chasing the carrot of new upgraded systems.
umm isn't that what we do now on pc?! every years there is better hardware to chase. now the consolers/consolites can have a little hardware envy too!

It seemed at the time that console architecture becoming more like PCs would be best, cut down on development time/learning-curve, and help cross platform compatibility... there's no real downside to that, is there? tech advancing at a rapid pace leaving consoles to be viewed as outdated would be a problem either way, right?

If anything, the more PC-like architecture has helped make releasing this style of upgrade possible, only downside is that some people feel jipped, but that's the case in all technology sectors and is kinda unavoidable?

It seemed at the time that console architecture becoming more like PCs would be best, cut down on development time/learning-curve, and help cross platform compatibility... there's no real downside to that, is there? tech advancing at a rapid pace leaving consoles to be viewed as outdated would be a problem either way, right?

If anything, the more PC-like architecture has helped make releasing this style of upgrade possible, only downside is that some people feel jipped, but that's the case in all technology sectors and is kinda unavoidable?

I am not saying that Sony OR MS had a choice but to go the x86 route. Things move way too fast to restrict the hardware to one soon to be overshadowed custom chipset.
It was sadly, inevitable.

They are changing the Console "game" and the rules are different, and frankly I think it will harm the consumer and the industry. The Cellphone hardware incrementalism will not apply to gaming devices.

But I seriously don't care, I am just here for the popcorn.

Reactions: Youn
like this
I disagree. Options are good. I also don't care that much though either. I'm here for the lulz. :p

I may pick one of these up though, just because. There are enough rooms and TVs in my house to have a few toys attached to, so why not?

That's how everything in the consumer industry work. I could wait a year more to get a better car, or a year more to get a better phone, or a year more to get a better graphics card ... Eventually you have to buy.

I'm all for a upgraded Xbox one. I'd love to see smoother frame rates and better visuals. I'm sure GameStop or best buy would have some sort of trade in program to lessen the blow to our wallets.

I sold my ps4 and kept my Xbox one due to my friends being on Xbox, but I've been eyeballing uncharted 4 pretty hard and I miss playing the last of us.

I'll wait and see what digital foundry has to say about the upgraded systems before I spend any cash on them.

Playing as masterpiece like Uncharted 4 at a blur-filled 30fps has me wanting a new PS4 more and more...at least assuming increased framerate is one of the goals for the new system. Otherwise, I couldn't care less.

That's how everything in the consumer industry work. I could wait a year more to get a better car, or a year more to get a better phone, or a year more to get a better graphics card ... Eventually you have to buy.

Exactly! And at least with the PS4/PS4.5 you get guaranteed compatibility. (can't say that about everything else in the industry)

Playing as masterpiece like Uncharted 4 at a blur-filled 30fps has me wanting a new PS4 more and more...at least assuming increased framerate is one of the goals for the new system. Otherwise, I couldn't care less.

Yeah, I'd definitely be more interested in frame rates than resolution. (though both would be nice)

Considering they were originally attempting to get 60 FPS from UC4 single player, I wouldn't doubt if they already are planning a Neo patch.

Yeah, I think MS's hand was more or less forced on this one, unless they tried something more radical than I think they'd be willing at the current time. (cloud based, all Windows, etc. etc.)

Yeah, I think MS's hand was more or less forced on this one, unless they tried something more radical than I think they'd be willing at the current time. (cloud based, all Windows, etc. etc.)

More radical? Always online, no used games market, mediocre specs, focus on a media center (sorry but I have an A/V receiver) and on top of that forcing you to get Kinect while wanting $100 more than the PS4. I don't see anything radical there.

More radical? Always online, no used games market, mediocre specs, focus on a media center (sorry but I have an A/V receiver) and on top of that forcing you to get Kinect while wanting $100 more than the PS4. I don't see anything radical there.

You mistook my comments to mean that those were good things. I absolutely will not buy into fully cloud based gaming (meaning streaming not always online by the way). I meant radical CHANGES to the typical console structure. Not like "those would be totally radical dude..." :p You know, the proper definition of radical.

The new consoles are a good thing for PC gamers because it will raise the console fidelity bar a little higher. I expect we were get bet games on PC as a result. I think with GTX1080 and new graphics cards out they are also afraid that PC will become the platform of choice for VR and this is a direct response to prospective competition from PC.

The new consoles are a good thing for PC gamers because it will raise the console fidelity bar a little higher. I expect we were get bet games on PC as a result. I think with GTX1080 and new graphics cards out they are also afraid that PC will become the platform of choice for VR and this is a direct response to prospective competition from PC.
Well we know Scorpio won't be releasing until Christmas next year, and by that time we could have the next generation of PC graphics available already (Volta and Navi). Which would once again make the consoles obsolete before they're even released. Regardless, I do agree with you. The FLOP/s number they quote for Scorpio is about the equivalent of a 980 Ti/1070. By the time it's released, though, that would be like getting a GTX 970 in the current consoles today instead of an R7 260X, putting the console in a better market position versus a high-end PC.

Well we know Scorpio won't be releasing until Christmas next year, and by that time we could have the next generation of PC graphics available already (Volta and Navi). Which would once again make the consoles obsolete before they're even released. Regardless, I do agree with you. The FLOP/s number they quote for Scorpio is about the equivalent of a 980 Ti/1070. By the time it's released, though, that would be like getting a GTX 970 in the current consoles today instead of an R7 260X, putting the console in a better market position versus a high-end PC.

Assuming amd can get their crap working by then.

Assuming amd is right on the performance as well.

Sony Hopes PS4 Neo Can Keep Gamers From Going Back to High-End PCs
Sony Hopes New PS4 Neo Keeps You From High End PCs

We’ve traditionally seen that some of the core audience tends to gravitate back to high-end PCs at some point because these are the people who want the finest graphical performance. So here’s a great opportunity to have them stay within our ecosystem.

If you are a person who’s just purchased a 4K television, maybe there’s not that much content around right now, so there’s something interesting about games being able to fill that gap and offer that experience. Those are the fundamentals of Neo

This might change, but it doesn't sound like Scorpio is going to be as great as I thought. They're pitching it as a 4K-only machine and that if you only have a 1080p television you should stick to the Xbox One. There are no plans to allow it to run Xbox One games at a higher framerate than before.
So much for playing 1080p/60, which is 1000x more exciting to me.
If NEO can give me that, I couldn't care less if it can do 4K.
I have a 4K television right now and my PC can push it on quite a few games...and it's not that huge of a deal. IMO, the jump from 720p to 1080p is much greater and the jump from 30fps to 60 (or higher) is even more so.

The nerd-grapevine seems to be saying that the PS4.5 will be out this year. That would be something indeed. However, if that happens and Sony gets it out way before Scorpio then they will be ready to refresh again in late 2017 I bet.

I think Microsoft has a big problem on their hands. I actually don't think that the PS4 success is 100% attributable to the slight performance advantage. I think gamers were alienated at the XB1 launch and will not come back. Even if MS gets the performance crown people will just wait for Sony to beat it.

With PSVR getting decent previews I think Sony is poised to dominate for the foreseeable future.

The nerd-grapevine seems to be saying that the PS4.5 will be out this year. That would be something indeed. However, if that happens and Sony gets it out way before Scorpio then they will be ready to refresh again in late 2017 I bet.

I think Microsoft has a big problem on their hands. I actually don't think that the PS4 success is 100% attributable to the slight performance advantage. I think gamers were alienated at the XB1 launch and will not come back. Even if MS gets the performance crown people will just wait for Sony to beat it.

With PSVR getting decent previews I think Sony is poised to dominate for the foreseeable future.

I highly doubt there will be another system coming out of Sony, at least not for another 2-3 years after Neo. I think Scorpio will be Microsoft's last console too and then they'll just focus on W10 and their version of "Steamboxes".

Sony how about adding good fans to your consoles and backward cap too. It would not hurt sales people will still upgrade.

1080p, 60fps, HDR supporting. That is the sweet spot for me. 4k is a distant 4th on the list. But is it up to consoles to to support HDR, or strictly the display?

HDR will require support from the entire chain - content (game, video, stream, etc.), source (console, player, PC, etc.), output (display, VR headset, etc).

I didn't realize this but a few months back Seagate released a 32GB NAND SSHD. Their 8GB models were improvements but reviewers felt 8GB of NAND wasn't enough for PS4 textures. I'd like to see some 32GB version reviews. I will probably grab one when I buy my NEO.

With the PS4 slim being a definite (pictures are everywhere), I'm now seeing a TON of commercials for Playstation Vue. Seems like that's going to be a pretty big push. We also now have Dualshock support on the PC. The dongles ship on the 19th. The Slims have a new version of the Duashock pad, too. Makes me wonder if the Neo will as well. Should be a pretty interesting few weeks.

EDIT: Looks like the PC Dualshock dongles will now ship on 9/6 instead of 9/19. I went ahead and ordered one as I'm curious about using one for fighting games like Street Fighter and especially Tekken.

Last edited:
Now that PS4 Pro (Neo) has been announced, any guesses on the specific hardware? We know the GPU is Polaris-based pushing 4.2 GFLOPs, 8GB DDR5, and a "higher-clocked" CPU...

Back