Source issues:

hungryduck

[H]ard|Gawd
My source engine games keep crashing.......sometimes straight to desktop, and sometimes I get a windows error "Program needs to close" and it says the problem was with hl2.exe. Any ideas? System is as follows:
Athlon XP 3200+
Asus A7N8X-E
Nvidia 6600gt AGP
1 gig Corsair Value Ram
40 Gig maxtor HD

What could be the problem here....I'm running on full graphics, no AA at 1152x864....Im pretty sure nothing is overheating....but the game crashes after 5-6 minutes of game play consistently.

The infamous Hl2.exe error? I haven't recieved one of thoose for a while, I thought it was fixed. Visit steampowered.com and do a search in their forums for it.

I fixed the problem by deleting the steam.dll and let it redownload it. That fixed my problem. Don't know if it will help you or not.

Oop here we go, I was mainly having this problem with DOD:
Many of people are starting to report that they are experinecing a hl2.exe crash error:

AppName: hl2.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: datacache.dll
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00008a57

Sometimes it even crashes to desktop. Well, after lots and lots of messing around with settings, etc I have targeted the source of the problem. It only happens with servers running mani-mod.

I am not sure if there is a fix in the works or not, but I have found a solution even if its temporary until its fixed. Basically, what it does is refused to download any custom server content to your computer, and that includes the mani-mod plugin, or any plugin for that matter. That does mean that you won't get the fancy decals and sounds that come from the server, but at least you can play the game!

Anyway, heres my solution:

1. Load Day of Defeat: Source from your "Play Games" list
2. Press the console button (`) or (~) and type the following:

cl_downloadfilter none

3. Press enter.
4. Try to connect to the server that you were crashing on again. It should work.

Back