Source Code vs. Actual program

Monkey34

Supreme [H]ardness
I was having a dicusssion about hackers/pirates/etc. with a friend, and the theft of the Half Life source code came up. My friend believed the source code meant the pirate had the game. I was arguing the source code was nothing you can "run" on your computer (meaning he couldnt play the game if he had it). Am I right? You could only "build" a game (including Half Life) with it right?

You have to complie source code to run it...

...it's not the same stuff that was stolen from Valve.

If you have the source code, you essentially have a game. Any monkey can compile source code usinga compiler. So you're wrong. :p

it's a matter of opinion. while true that having all the source code (as in complete source code) should make it trivial to compile a program, i don't know if it's any different with very large projects (read: games). i also don't know what language half life was written in though i would guess c or c++. then again, is it standard c++ that can be compiled with gcc, does it require any libraries that wouldn't be included with the main source code, are the textures/sound files included say, and so on. so unless it's as simple as 'configure', 'make', and 'make install', then you don't necessarily have the whole game just because you have the source code (read you as any individual, not any of you specifically)

Back