Source code for Grand Theft Auto III and Vice City has been reverse engineered

Armenius

Extremely [H]
You can find it here. According to the project page it has been successfully ported and compiled on Switch, Vita, and Wii U so far thanks to the active home brew communities. They are interested in trying to get it built for PlayStation 2 and original Xbox. Not only have they ported to source to other platforms, but they have fixed numerous gameplay, UI and rendering bugs left over. They have even added more features an options. Grab it before it is taken down!

https://github.com/GTAmodding/re3

Liberty City is being worked on next.

You can find it here. According to the project page it has been successfully ported and compiled on Switch, Vita, and Wii U so far thanks to the active home brew communities. They are interested in trying to get it built for PlayStation 2 and original Xbox. Not only have they ported to source to other platforms, but they have fixed numerous gameplay, UI and rendering bugs left over. They have even added more features an options. Grab it before it is taken down!

https://github.com/GTAmodding/re3

Liberty City is being worked on next.
If it really has been reverse engineered, and there is no game data in the repo, then they have no legal obligation to take it down. Unless they can prove that some code was copied or used as inspiration for this RE'd code, it's here to stay.

Vice City is the best GTA game. Setting, music and story was 10/10. Give it modern graphics and gameplay mechanics, and you’ll likely have one of the best games in history.
fixed :)

I remember going to gamestop (I think it was gamestop, unless it was still funcoland?) with my mom to get this game when I was like 12 or 13. And the girl at the counter, who must of been about 18, straight up told my mom not to get it for me, that there were violence, drugs, and prostitutes in it. I still don't know how I managed to go home with that game.

If it really has been reverse engineered, and there is no game data in the repo, then they have no legal obligation to take it down. Unless they can prove that some code was copied or used as inspiration for this RE'd code, it's here to stay.
True. It first popped up on Github about 4 months ago. I guess since it survived this long it should be good.

I still remember the first time I saw GTA 3, was at a friends house and they were playing it on a PS2. I tried it and loved the game and ran to Best Buy to buy me a copy for my PS2.

Personally I'd put Vice City it as a close second behind San Andreas because SA was bigger, had more going on, a better sound track, and more refined gameplay.

What VC did have over SA was a more cohesive story that wasn't quite so over the top and it really did do a good job of capturing that Miami Vice/Scarface type 80's Miami vibe. As a side note I think the Scarface game actually did an even better job capturing the feel of the Miami area and had a better soundtrack as well, it's too bad the rest of the game wasn't that good.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
For me:
Vice City had the best story that was quite engaging and interesting. SA was a fun world and the story was neat outside of the horrible gang crap.
But GTA Online while full of griefers and cheaters keeps me engaged with the best sandbox world of the series thus far. I've only played enough of the story to get to online mode. It is certainly flawed but just gives me the most options to do what I want without limitations. Even more so once you get some stable business set up you really dont need to worry about money.

Personally I'd put Vice City it as a close second behind San Andreas because SA was bigger, had more going on, a better sound track, and more refined gameplay.

What VC did have over SA was a more cohesive story that wasn't quite so over the top and it really did do a good job of capturing that Miami Vice/Scarface type 80's Miami vibe. As a side note I think the Scarface game actually did an even better job capturing the feel of the Miami area and had a better soundtrack as well, it's too bad the rest of the game wasn't that good.
San Andreas may have been the larger game, but I did not enjoy playing it as much as I did Vice City. In my opinion I think SA had too much going on, and I will quickly lose interest in a game if I cannot focus on one goal or task while being distracted by other things. It's a curse of mine that comes with being a completionist.

I hope they can do SA too and finally find a way to properly remove the 25 fps cap.

San Andreas may have been the larger game, but I did not enjoy playing it as much as I did Vice City. In my opinion I think SA had too much going on, and I will quickly lose interest in a game if I cannot focus on one goal or task while being distracted by other things. It's a curse of mine that comes with being a completionist.
That's a fair take, not one I agree with but I can understand it.

I should add it's not just a big game world but one with several distinct, well done areas and it doesn't just have more vehicles it has interesting vehicles like the hovercraft and a monster truck as well as useful vehicles like the jet pack. There are some games I've played that are big but end up feeling empty or sterile but I don't think SA falls into that trap. Two Worlds is a good example of a game that was huge and had a lot of stuff but just felt sterile and shallow like a cheap movie set.

I do think I've gotten 100% on VC before and doubt I've done so on SA but I know the first time I tried to get 100% on VC there was a bug that prevented me from doing so and I wasted a bunch of time before I figured out what happened. In that sense and knowing how buggy Rockstar games can be(especially on pc) it might be a good thing that I haven't been tempted to 100% any of the newer GTA games.

Gta died fir me after VC. Could never get into any of them after. They got to big and complex with too many dumb things to do

Gta died fir me after VC. Could never get into any of them after. They got to big and complex with too many dumb things to do
GTA IV was pretty good. SA and V are the only two I have not been able to complete yet.

fixed :)

I remember going to gamestop (I think it was gamestop, unless it was still funcoland?) with my mom to get this game when I was like 12 or 13. And the girl at the counter, who must of been about 18, straight up told my mom not to get it for me, that there were violence, drugs, and prostitutes in it. I still don't know how I managed to go home with that game.
lol. I was 17 when I bought it. Crude as hell, but damn great game. Will never forget rolling aroudn on missions, the music, excellent. 11/10.

I'm a little surprised that T2 didn't follow through with some sort of legal action, torrentfreak makes it sound like T2 doesn't have much of a case but they have much better lawyers than a normal person can afford.

I'm a little surprised that T2 didn't follow through with some sort of legal action, torrentfreak makes it sound like T2 doesn't have much of a case but they have much better lawyers than a normal person can afford.
Unless there is actual code or other resources from the game in the repo, or someone who contributed code based their work on actual code from the game, they have no case whatsoever.

Unless there is actual code or other resources from the game in the repo, or someone who contributed code based their work on actual code from the game, they have no case whatsoever.
Yeah, that's what it sounds like the situation is but it still takes money that most people don't have to fight it. Of course the risk if they do file a lawsuit is that it could end up setting a precedent that they don't want if the person does fight it.

I seem to recall the readme mentioning cleaning up decompiled code, which isn't clean room code.

So they game, from my reading. isnt copyrighted?
If so, as open source it sounds like they can only ask not legally enforce it?

Take Two is suing the authors of the Re3 project, claiming that using a recompiler to create an approximation of their copyrighted work constitutes a violation of their intellectual property rights. Take Two also wants them to turn over all "repurposed code and assets." I hope they like getting a bunch of nothing since the Re3 project uses none of the original material from the game. They also try and throw around words like "pirate." Good luck with that, Take Two. There is always the worst case scenario that there would be a decision in favor of Take Two that would deal a huge blow to the reverse engineering hobby.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.384429/gov.uscourts.cand.384429.1.0.pdf

Back