Soundmax and Logitech Z-640

KillRoy X

Gawd
Well, I've had my new computer for about a month now and I just noticed that my Center channel does not work on 5.1 games. I have everything set up through the soundmax control panel, and all my connections are correct.

Does anyone know or has had this problem before.

Also, when playing music, it just doesn't sound that great, even when I'm using Winamp. Does onboard sound really sound this bad?

My motherboard is the K8V SE which claims to have the 5.1 onboard. As of now, it's not working. :(

I've run that setup.

The answer is that the audio quality isn't ideal.

But you probably have the centre and the sub are reversed. So it probably sounds funny. In the soundmax utility with the sound marker that rotates around the speakers see if the base comes and goes as the dot moves. If so, your centre channel/sub polarity on the plug is reversed.

Go into the windows mixer and hit the advanced button. There will be a switch centre/LFE option. Click it and see if that works.

By default, in games and music your centre isn't going to work. Just stereo. I don't think I found an upmix feature in my soundmax software. Is there one?

Anyways you'll be able to hear sound from your centre in the soundmax surround test and DVDs with a proper player.

If you want something like that (upmixing software, DSP effects that don't load the processor, more tweakability over your sound) you'll have to get a real sound card. I recommend the Audigy 2 OEM card or the Chaintech AV-710. If you have lots of money grab a Revo 7.1.

The soundmax is just an OK solution. But if you want the flexiblity and quality that I think you are looking for you need a real card.

Thanks! I'll try that. Well that's suprising because I thought the sound was a true 5.1? So if I'm playing UT2004 in 5.1 it won't work with my soundcard?

Wow. Well, I don't have much money to spend, but I'll look into something.

Unless the game is specificly designed for positional audio, or you are running upmixing /mirroring software, you won't hear sound out of all of your speakers.

The Chaintech is super cheap. You can also pick up an Audigy LS or ES for a lot less than a 2 or 2 ZS. All of them have at least 5.1 and far better than onboard quality.

Yeah, I'm probably going to get the LS this week. Hopefully this will solve my problem

Back