Soundcard/Headphone amp

Firstly, while I know I have good hearing and I've wanted to get a better audio setup, I just haven't for various reasons. Anyway, I feel I've got the headset side covered with my Audio Technica ATH-AD700 set. Anyway, I'm currently running an X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium and it's worked well for the most part, though like all Creative products I've ever owned it has its fair share of driver issues. The issue isn't so much that I'm having sound issues as much as I know my setup as it stands isn't ideal. I currently have the headset plugged directly into the card, forcing me to keep it at around 10-15% volume in Windows otherwise it is painfully loud. Changing the audio console from 2.1 to headphones has no difference as far as I can tell either. Now, this is as it stands at my apartment. At home I have a (very old at this point) 5.1 speaker setup, and that works just fine with the card having volume control in the speakers and such.

I suppose, what I'm asking is would a headphone amp help in my situation to help regulate the sound better? Or, would a different card be better even? I've eyed the Xonar series since it has come out from Asus and only have my current card because I got it for a song, around $100 off. Keep in mind, I'm at best mildly familiar with the sound aspect of computers and have used Creative cards for, man, around 20 years I guess. I just would like to know if there is anything I should change in my setup that would give me better fidelity or control, in addition to less buggy drivers. And, if possible I'd like to keep it under $100, though I could do $150. I just can't help but feel my current setup isn't ideal given I pretty much use headphones exclusively at my apartment.

A headphone amp isn't really going to do anything beneficial for you because the AD700s are so easy to drive (your sound card is already driving them fine, in other words). If you want a better sound card, then the Xonar DX is probably the best bet if you plan to continue using the same headphones.

Alright, thanks. Yeah, mostly was wanting a better sound card but I wasn't sure if I needed an amp to do so, good to know. I had looked at the DX last time I was in Microcenter so I think I'll pick one up next time I'm in there. And, another question, aside from [H], any other sites that give good audio reviews? I see a lot and they just go, "Sounded good to me, man!" as their 'in-depth' analysis for sound cards and such.

Sound cards don't get a lot of cred with places equipped to do better audio gear reviews because they favor external USB DACs orrreceivers, plus it's not like a lot of new cards come out every year. ASUS' recent line update was the first in years. I think Bit-tech had some solid review of older cards, dunno if they've looked at recent ones. Earl hareviewed all of the recent ASUS cards here and I'm sure he'll be reviewing the Creative Z series.

Back