Soundblaster Z and ZX

HaxEJxuK

Gawd
My G35 mic is broken so I started look for a new one. I came across Modmic and it looks to be a good option. However, I tried JVC HA-RX700 that I bought couple of years back and noticed static which I'm thinking same thing will happen with Modmic if I use onboard audio of my MSI Z87 G45 Gaming. So I've looked at Asus Xonar initially but Soundblaster Z looks to be better option(I play FPS mostly)

The question is, does ZX's ACM volume control work with audio out of card along with audio out of ACM or just what's plugged in ACM?

Also, does combination of HA-RX700, Soundblaster Z/ZX and Modmic look good combo?

Thanks

Also, I'm assuming mic included in Soundblaster Z/ZX doesn't have build in noise cancelling like Modmic? Sometimes my kids and wife makes noise around where I play game and would hate when their voice or noise get picked up.

Well the "Z" basic model comes with a stand alone "beam forming mic." My guess would probably be somewhere around the Zalman clip on mic performance. Which is a very decent mic for the price. Still use mine, time to time.

The "Zx" model is a bit better and a step up. Which we all know that anyway. Only drawback to that is the volume knob will only control the headphones and not the speakers. I've heard mixed reviews on the ACM. Some complain and some praise it. But that is the internet for you. But both seem to use the same standard software to clean up the mic noise, etc. One you just get a plain mic and the other the control pod.

Sound Blaster Beamforming Microphone

When used with CrystalVoice Focus, the bundled beamforming microphone creates an acoustic zone and suppresses noise outside it, enabling you to be heard with amazing clarity.

Though you get the same ACM with the "ZxR" as the "Z" sound card. So you would assume if it is on the flagship card it should be a decent mic. Which uses the:

Crystal clear communication

In gaming, if you're not communicating, you're not winning. Experience crystal clear communication with your teammates with the CrystalVoice™ suite of technologies that removes echoes, ambient noises and picks up your voice from within a zone (Voice Focus). It also maintains your voice level even if you are near or further away from the microphone.

Sorry I can't be much more of any help. But seems they are the same mic, just one looks fancier than the other really. I put my ZxR up for sale in here. Since I sold off my rig. Or I would do a test for you to help you out. Only use a laptop now.

Thanks for info. One thing I don't think you touched up on was(Maybe I missed it) if volume control(I only use headset or headphone) only adjusts ones that are plugged in to ACM only or also adjusts headset/headphone that are plugged in to card itself on back of your PC?

Thanks

I noted about it but maybe wasn't clear enough about it. The control knob only controls what is plugged into it. So it will only control the headphones. Even if you remove the headphones, it will not control the speakers if they are plugged into the back of the sound card. That was really a miss with me. As it was the whole point of having a control knob from volume.

Only drawback to that is the volume knob will only control the headphones and not the speakers.

Great! Thanks for the info. I was affraid that was the case. I like G35 volume control on it but with headphone and Modmic, I won't have that option. I was hoping that ZX ACM controlled headphone volume no matter if you plug it in to ACM or back of the card. I would like mic(If I go that route) closer to me but wouldn't like headphone plugged in to it in front of me.

Best thing to do is to get the Z and a small headphone amp. I love the cmoy style amp you can get on ebay cheap. For the money, they do great for gaming. I use a stereo receiver for an amp to power both my headphones and speakers. Just run 1/8th to rca from the Z into the receiver and viola. My beam mic on top of my monitor sounds fine.

The z has a built in headphone amp but I'm not sure you can plug the ACM into that slot so you wouldn't be able to control it on the fly. You could also hotkey a couple of keys on your keyboard to control the volume. I use Page Up/Page Down as I don't have a keyboard that has volume controls.

To control the volume remotely, get a headphone amp. That acm thing sucks.

Just a note on this, The Z and the Zx are exactly the same. The only difference is the ACM that comes with the Zx.

I would just get the Z and forget about the ACM, I have read a lot of bad reports about it.

It may not be built in noise canceling, but the software and drivers combined with the creative z card has very good noise canceling and extremely good quality...best mic i have ever used and just checking the noise canceling in the control panel really does work....i have a lot of fans in my room that produce quite a bit of noise and trust me ....the software and mic some how cancels out the noise.

i tried it with the feature turned off and it was a lot of noise.....turned on its clear as a bell;)
Capture_zpsaaabc17c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And as others have stated the z card has a built in amp for headphones that really shines over one that don't....i had an older headset that before had zero bass but hooked to the z card was a huge improvement. the beam forming mic is well designed in my opinion as it mounts on top of your monitor.....i was very impressed as it doesn't take up desk space, you don't need a headphones with built in mic, and looks pretty decent as well.

creative has screwed up in the past but they did quite well with the z card and the drivers work and do there job even in newest win 8.1.....really cant complain...will they keep up the drivers in the next version of windows, who knows, but at least for now they got a very good product.

this is the model i bought on sale 54 dollars http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102048 and let me tell you it was worth every penny

Last edited:
Your modmic has static too? Has anyone told you that you sound muffled? I recently got one and it was horrible with my Fatal1ty Titanium sound card(The static was unbearable and compared to onboard sound my clan mates told me I sounded extremely muffled). Maybe the 4.0 just isn't as great as everyone makes it out to be or my old sound card just doesn't shield very well. If you do get the Z, please update us on the mic quality.

Back