Soundbar Cuts Out Randomly (Everytime With Cooker Turned On)

deadman_uk

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Samsung KS8000 4K TV with Samsung K650 Soundbar connected together with an HDMI cable in ARC mode. Everytime I press the gas ignite button on my cooker, my TV's sound would cut out. Here is a video to show you. It will do this also randomly, a few times an hour. It doesn't do this with the TV speakers set to on, it also doesn't do this if I use the soundbar in wi-fi mode, it only happens in HDMI-ARC ... any ideas?

are the sound/tv setup and the stove on the same electrical circuit? if they are it could be the sudden Amp draw of the igniter causing a small did in the power circuit that causes the soundbar to freak out. putting it on a different circuit via extension cord will tell if that's the issue.

it sounds like the soundbar is going bad. probably bad capacitors. when you start the igniter you are stealing power and the soundbar doesn't have enough to stay on since the caps arent working properly. sounds like it anyway.

edit.. you should also check your grounds

I had a 2nd RCD installed in the house. I am not sure if the cooker and soundbar are still on the same circuit or not. I am not knowledgeable in electricity or wiring. I will try and plug it into another socket in the house if I can get a long enough extension cable.

infinity9 if the soundbar is going bad, why does it not cut out on wi-fi mode?

I don't think those igniters use much power, I'd say it's an EMI problem. Igniters emit all sorts of radio noise when they spark, and your soundbar's or TV's HDMI audio circuitry is probably sensitive to it.

As Ryan said, it sounds like RF interference that is strong enough to penetrate at the connection points or solder joints/circuits inside the devices.
Maybe the cable isnt well made resulting in some signal reflection back along the wire (which becomes extra interference) and a loss of signal strength.
Try another cable.
Perhaps wrap foil around the connection points.

If you cant solve it, fit a metal plate or foil in the kitchen directly between the cooker and your soundbar connections at both ends.
This will block most of the directly transmitted spark signal.
Some signal can be retransmitted when it hits other nearby small metal objects so if there are many around that area, like knives, it may help to remove them.

As Ryan said, it sounds like RF interference that is strong enough to penetrate at the connection points or solder joints/circuits inside the devices.
Maybe the cable isnt well made resulting in some signal reflection back along the wire (which becomes extra interference) and a loss of signal strength.
Try another cable.
Perhaps wrap foil around the connection points.

If you cant solve it, fit a metal plate or foil in the kitchen directly between the cooker and your soundbar connections at both ends.
This will block most of the directly transmitted spark signal.
Some signal can be retransmitted when it hits other nearby small metal objects so if there are many around that area, like knives, it may help to remove them.

Um no. It would still be happening in WiFi mode since the same chips are in use and seems very unlikely unless they were on top of each other.

Is the HDMI cable plugged in when you are in WiFI mode? (also do you mean bluetooth?) Try leaving the cable connected and using wifi mode and see if it happens.

Um no. It would still be happening in WiFi mode since the same chips are in use and seems very unlikely unless they were on top of each other.
As you pointed out there are fringe cases where it is possible.
Because this is not something that regularly pops up as a problem, fringe cases become more likely.
There are also cumulative effects and he may just have a crap lead.
A bad shield, a badly connected shield or unshielded cable could be the cause too.
So its not um no, its worth a try.

I will try another cable and yes, the HDMI cable is still plugged in when I try it on wi-fi mode. Not bluetooth, but wi-fi.

Probably ground interference if it's a specific igniter that's causing it.

Usually "odd things" with A/V equipment are ground &/or EMI/RF related.

A good filtered power strip, UPS, or power conditioner would solve it if it's ground-related. Putting it on a separate circuit probably will, depending on how your breaker box is wired up and how beefy that igniter is.

If it's EMI/RF related, moving it into another room or something and testing it in a different area would help see if that's the case. If that's the problem, time to break out the tinfoil hat.

Back