Sound card with front audio connection

jcg624

Limp Gawd
I need a good sound card that hasd a front audio connection so I can use the front headphone and mic ports on my Antec 900 case. The HD onboard sound just isn't cutting it.

I play games like WoW, CoH, and Two Worlds mostly. Is there a good alternative to the creative X-Fi series. I have always used creative cards.

I have an MSI K9AG Neo2-Digital mb. with a 9600 GT 512 sound card. 5000+ BE X2

Please help me choose a good sound card.

Are the X-Fi cards the best still for gaming

If you really want an X-Fi, the X-Fi "Extreme Gamer" card is $90 and has standard front panel audio connectors on it.

The Asus Xonar DX also has front panel audio connections and sells for about the same price.

I'd suggest checking out this article then making the decision:

http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/14500

Personally I'd go for the Xonar.

the extremegamer front panel connector shares power with the rear-so it cuts the power in half-whether headphones are connected or not! the xtrememusic with a front panel mod doesnt do this. the razer ac-1 also has a frt panel connector

if you play eax3, 4, or 5 games get an x-fi. dont care about 3d audio then get whatever sounds good to you

Anyone using this card. HT OMEGA STRIKER 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

I just purchased the HT Omega Claro Plus+ and I am actually listening to Sennheiser HD-595 headphones via the Front-Audio output of the Claro Plus right now! (no joke) I love my card, and the front audio has way more power than I need.

The HT Omega Claro also has the front panel connection. I'm using it in my Antec P182 case. I purchased the card for better 5.1 positional sound (DDLive) via optical to receiver when playing Crysis. I found, however, that music via the front panel headphone connection to my HD595 sounds as good as the headphone connection to the EMU0404 USB.

not to thread jack but does the HT Omega Claro front jack mute the rear speakers automaticaly when plugged in? I have a xonar and it does not. Thinking of getting the HT Omega Claro if it auto switches correctly.

I use the SPDIF output to my receiver for the speakers, and of course the analog output for my headphones. Therefore, it is necessary to make the output device selection in the Claro software control panel prior to using the chosen device. If you're using the analog out for your speakers, then I'm not sure but, my guess is that the sound signal would go to both your speakers and headphones if both are connected simultaniously. You would then have to turn one or the other device off. I'm not sure what your big deal is about that. My EMU0404 USB is like that, but I simply turn the speakers off (via the manual control on the amplifier) when using the headphones. I hope that I've answered your question.

Well it's not that big a deal BUT it is also VERY convienient to be able to just plug in headphones and have it switch automaticaly. The Xonar DX I have you have to manualy switch as well. I actualy went back to the Realtech onboard sound though cause on my klipsch 2.1 pro media I cannot tell the difference between the two. I don't use EAX so I just care about the sound quality and Realtech HD is great for that. So for me the HT Omega Claro is not worth it cause I have the Xonar DX and I don't even use that. I was just wondering if anything other than onboard audio had this feature. Thanks for the info though, saved me buying another card!

Yes, I agree that your making the right decision; until you decide to upgrade to something other than computer speakers. That's why you don't notice the difference. U'll have to upgrade your speakers to take advantage of the better DAC in the sound card; however, you should be able to notice the difference with good quality headphones as well.

Well it's not that big a deal BUT it is also VERY convienient to be able to just plug in headphones and have it switch automaticaly. The Xonar DX I have you have to manualy switch as well. I actualy went back to the Realtech onboard sound though cause on my klipsch 2.1 pro media I cannot tell the difference between the two. I don't use EAX so I just care about the sound quality and Realtech HD is great for that. So for me the HT Omega Claro is not worth it cause I have the Xonar DX and I don't even use that. I was just wondering if anything other than onboard audio had this feature. Thanks for the info though, saved me buying another card!

the x-fi xtremegamer does muting of the speakers when the headphones are connected. but it has the forementioned halving of the signal power. that might matter if you use decent headphones

If you really want an X-Fi, the X-Fi "Extreme Gamer" card is $90 and has standard front panel audio connectors on it.

Not correct. The following have the front panel:
Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series

The following do not have the front panel:
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Elite Pro Sound Card and HS-900 Headphone Bundle
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series

References:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...factory=1137&SubCategory=57&SpeTabStoreType=1
http://us.creative.com/products/welcome.asp?category=209&WT.cg_n=Campaigns&WT.mc_id=8858

Not correct. The following have the front panel:
Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series

The following do not have the front panel:
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Elite Pro Sound Card and HS-900 Headphone Bundle
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series

References:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...factory=1137&SubCategory=57&SpeTabStoreType=1
http://us.creative.com/products/welcome.asp?category=209&WT.cg_n=Campaigns&WT.mc_id=8858

Ummm, I can say with 100% certainty that the XtremeGamer DOES have a front panel audio connection. I have it, my front panel headphone and mic ports are plugged into it, I use it daily. If you're saying its not a REAL front panel connection because it shares power with the back ports, then I stand corrected.

As someone else said, the XtremeGamer does have a feature that automatically mutes your speakers when you plug in your headphones. Technically, this is a feature of Intel's Azalia HD standard, you won't get this functionality if you use the regular AC'97 connection. So, technically, any card that has an Intel HD compatible front panel connector SHOULD have the same feature.

EDIT:

It occurs to me that you might be talking about the X-Fi I/O Drive (for the Fatal1ty Champion) and the I/O Bay for the Elite Pro. The Drive fits into a 5.25" slot and the Bay is a standalone external box.

Ummm, I can say with 100% certainty that the XtremeGamer DOES have a front panel audio connection. I have it, my front panel headphone and mic ports are plugged into it, I use it daily. If you're saying its not a REAL front panel connection because it shares power with the back ports, then I stand corrected.

As someone else said, the XtremeGamer does have a feature that automatically mutes your speakers when you plug in your headphones. Technically, this is a feature of Intel's Azalia HD standard, you won't get this functionality if you use the regular AC'97 connection. So, technically, any card that has an Intel HD compatible front panel connector SHOULD have the same feature.

EDIT:

It occurs to me that you might be talking about the X-Fi I/O Drive (for the Fatal1ty Champion) and the I/O Bay for the Elite Pro. The Drive fits into a 5.25" slot and the Bay is a standalone external box.

Yes, you are correct King of Heroes. Those were what I was addressing as being the front panels because their physical placement is in front of the computer.

Could you please do a favor for me and take a look at this photo of the X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound Card. Is this where one would insert their headphone plug for the X-Fi XtremeGamer ? If so, then isn't the access to this jack generally at the rear of one's computer? Thanks!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...ive+Sound+Blaster+X-Fi+XtremeGamer+Sound+Card

[/B]

Yes, you are correct King of Heroes. Those were what I was addressing as being the front panels because their physical placement is in front of the computer.

Could you please do a favor for me and take a look at this photo of the X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound Card. Is this where one would insert their headphone plug for the X-Fi XtremeGamer ? If so, then isn't the access to this jack generally at the rear of one's computer? Thanks!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...ive+Sound+Blaster+X-Fi+XtremeGamer+Sound+Card

Ah, no. The 'front panel connector' is a pinout near the back of the soundcard. Most cases have a front panel multimedia bay built into the front or top of the case. This bay usually has a headphone and mic port and probably a few USB ports. A cable for these ports can be connected various pinouts on the motherboard or add-on cards to get them working. In this case, the front panel connector for the headphone and mic ports is indicated on this image:

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/29-102-006-04.jpg

A cable for those ports (usually labeled with 'Intel HD' or 'AC'97') plugs into the indicated pins. Once you do that, you can plug your headphones into the port on the front panel, which is more convenient than having to reach around to the back of your computer.

Ah, no. The 'front panel connector' is a pinout near the back of the soundcard. Most cases have a front panel multimedia bay built into the front or top of the case. This bay usually has a headphone and mic port and probably a few USB ports. A cable for these ports can be connected various pinouts on the motherboard or add-on cards to get them working. In this case, the front panel connector for the headphone and mic ports is indicated on this image:

A cable for those ports (usually labeled with 'Intel HD' or 'AC'97') plugs into the indicated pins. Once you do that, you can plug your headphones into the port on the front panel, which is more convenient than having to reach around to the back of your computer.

Thank you for such a clear explanation, your image reinforces comprehension too!
My present computer does not have a media panel to plug a headphone into. When I had my computer built for me I opted for a Cooler Master: Wave Master case and had the builder fill in the media panel bay with a large fan. I instead plug my headphones into the amplifier for my PC speaker system (Sirroco Crossfire) http://www.firingsquad.com/media/article_image.asp/496/a

Never having installed a sound card and not having a "media panel" installed on my computer I have never had the opportunity to see what you have told me. Hopefully I have built up a sufficient case to justify my ignorance to not know that an X-Fi Xtreme Gamer indeed has a front panel audio connection. :p

Thanks again!
Supersnake

Hi... I recently got the XtremeGamer and I'd like to connect the front panel; I don't have the cable; I have a Dell XPS 420 and it had a sound card connected to the front panel but unfortunately I can't use the same cable; do you know where could I find the cable that connects my XtremeGamer to the front panel?

Back