Sound Card Questions

I'm currently running an old Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS out to a Music Hall A-15.2 amp with a pair of Wharfedale 10.1 speakers. Is it time to upgrade the card and should I look into getting a decent DAC? If so, some suggestions would be great, I'm in the market to upgrade currently so any help would be much appreciated.

You want either a new sound card OR a new DAC. They both perform the same fuction so getting both would be pointless. An external DAC would be best, connected to the PC via USB or optical/SPDIF.

What are you doing with this setup (music, movies, gaming, etc) and what is your budget?

Red-Talon- I'll be mostly gaming, but there will be a good amount of listening to music and watching movies. Lets say my budget is $300 for now. I was looking at the O2 DAC/Amp combo, is that worth getting or are there better options for the money?

+1 on the HRT Streamer. It sounds great, no drivers to worry about.

Red-Talon- I'll be mostly gaming, but there will be a good amount of listening to music and watching movies. Lets say my budget is $300 for now. I was looking at the O2 DAC/Amp combo, is that worth getting or are there better options for the money?

For $300? Yes. That is a pretty great combo though. What headphones? You don't need the amp if you just use speakers.

Right now I'm using Audio-Technica AD-700's. I'm planning on getting a pair of AKG-701's. I've been reading that DAC's aren't the greatest for gaming, is that true and should I just get a higher end sound card? I'm getting an amp regardless.

Back