Sound card for recording

G String

n00b
I'm looking for some opinions or advice concerning a sound card for audio recording. I'm not looking to spend a whole lot, hopefully keeping the cost below ~$200. I've looked around the net, and how are M-audio? E-MU?

One thing to note, is that I don't care about MIDI. All I will be doing is recording using an XLR mic, using it to record vocals and guitar. A 1/4" input jack would be nice, but I don't even think that would be necessary. From what I can see, it looks as if this would fit my needs, 'cause I see XLR jacks. However, it has all that extra junk I'd never use. :( Is there something similar to that card at a lesser price? I'm admittedly a newbie in this area and am looking for even another forum where I can read up on recording and such.

The card you linked to is a great choice. My girlfriend is using one if you want to know the feedback for decent consumer recording capabilities.

You could also look at TerraTec, not sure if they have the stuff you need.

i use an m-audio fast track pro. it'll run you about 200-250 and it has exactly what you're lookin for in terms of features.

great sound quality with xlr or 1/4" inputs and no latency. :)

Does it have to be a sound card? If you already have, say, an X-fi, you can keep it and save your PCI slot from having nasty blue PCB and get something like this. :)

the noise gates within the e-mu program and interface are absolutly terrible feeds back like hell, you pay for what u get, id say to spend the money maybe check out ebay for an older version of pro tools with a multi-midi i/o with a higher grade noise gate if all else fails go talk to one of the guitarcenter noobs that dont really know anything, worked at guitarcenter in pro audio with a guy that would sell stuff like "yeah im looking for a mic, can you help me?" he would reply with something like "we have these ones (normaily points to 2, one expensive one inexpensive)" "well why is that better?" and the greatest responce in the world "well this one costs more." generally the people that work at guitar center are just looking to make money off the sale so they will generally steer you in the wrong direction, because they generaly know nothing but are just trained to know how to sell something to the average joe.
but anyway, ill finish this post up tomorrow or something when im not so tired, its like 7am.......
but before i go, it mostly it depends on what you are doing be sure to get a studio mic with a built in condenser like an abx or an onyx. the i/o card that u linked is good if your running it directly through a mixer with all the jacks you will ever need. a quarter inch jack is rather a must more than an option, you do not under any means want to mic your amp with any recording, it will sound like butt... heh, unless your amp has a midi out your going to need an i/o box with a 1/4" jack.
anyway like i said im too tired to finish writing this im going to sleep, hope that helps a little

the noise gates within the e-mu program and interface are absolutly terrible feeds back like hell, you pay for what u get
E-MU program? Does that only come with their cards? How is that firewire box thingey that buffbiff21 listed? It fits my budget perfectly and has XLR input.

it mostly it depends on what you are doing be sure to get a studio mic with a built in condenser like an abx or an onyx. the i/o card that u linked is good if your running it directly through a mixer with all the jacks you will ever need. a quarter inch jack is rather a must more than an option, you do not under any means want to mic your amp with any recording, it will sound like butt... heh, unless your amp has a midi out your going to need an i/o box with a 1/4" jack.

I have a Sennheiser E835 and two SM57s. And... Mic-ing your amp sounds like butt.. right... That's why every single guitarist in the history of rock have mic'd their amps for recording.

Thanks everyone, btw

Back