Sound Card conflict?

ashmelev75

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got some weird problem after upgrading my video card I've been trying to resolve for weeks.
Previous Config:
M/B P6T Deluxe V2
PCIEX4_1: Anker USB3.0 card
PCIEX16_1: Radeon 6950 2GB
PCI1 & PCI2: nothing
PCIEX16_2: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD
PCIEX16_3: Intel Gigabit CT card

Everything worked fine, until I replaced the video card with XFX 290 4GB.
After that I've been getting numerous BSODs with A000001 bugcheck in the video card driver playing games (Diablo3 and few others) or just watching movies with VLC.
When BSOD happens usually it was with some sound bit looping.

This morning my Win7 had an issue starting up - took more than 5 minutes to get to the login screen and after login it was all messed up with a bunch of failed services, including creative audio.
Tried to reboot multiple times, but no luck. Eventually I had to pull out the sound card out and after that Win7 booted normally.

What the heck is going on?

Last edited:
Just off the top of my head....

My guess would be the new video card is using all the PCIe lanes. Chipset and motherboard dependent of course but some boards run 16x/0x or 8x/8x in the first two x16 slots. Can you force the video card into x8 mode and see if that frees up some lanes for the second PCIx16 slot?

Can you list your motherboard and chipset and other system specs?

It wasn't the sound card in the end... I've tried all kinds of trouble-shooting, but ended up installing Win7 on another hard drive to start with a clean slate. I've been playing for two days without any crashes, but got one within minutes of booting the old windows install. Still have no idea what got messed up there.

I did a full uninstall and clean-up with DDU multiple times, so it was not the video driver.

I did a full uninstall and clean-up with DDU multiple times, so it was not the video driver.

That doesn't mean it wasn't the video driver. There could have still been something messed up with a setting in the registry.

Another thing it could have been is that the BIOS didn't redetect stuff properly when you swapped out cards.

I have gotten into the habit of clearing the BIOS when I swap out cards since sometimes things just don't work properly unless you do.

Not familiar with DDU, google comes up with delivery duty unpaid. I do not think that is what you meant.
Unless you cleaned out the registry there would still be entries left behind.

Not familiar with DDU, google comes up with delivery duty unpaid. I do not think that is what you meant.
Unless you cleaned out the registry there would still be entries left behind.

1st link in google - Device Driver Uninstaller

Display Driver Uninstaller is a driver removal utility that can help you completely uninstall AMD/NVIDIA graphics card drivers and packages from your system, without leaving leftovers behind (including registry keys, folders and files, driver store).

1st link in google - Device Driver Uninstaller

Display Driver Uninstaller is a driver removal utility that can help you completely uninstall AMD/NVIDIA graphics card drivers and packages from your system, without leaving leftovers behind (including registry keys, folders and files, driver store).

Depends how entered info in google, if you enter ddu yes it is the first listing. If you enter what is ddu you get a much different list.
Thanks for sharing i had not heard of that tool.

Back