Sound Blaster ZX $105

bman212121

[H]ard|Gawd
Best price I've seen on the ZX model so far. It's $10 cheaper than before.

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blas...d=1386007345&sr=8-1&keywords=sound+blaster+zx

Same price at Newegg if you get a better deal there.

The ZX is a step up from the Z if you want to have a place to plug your headset in above the desk and have an external volume control. After having front panel bays I don't think I could go without a separate control for the headset.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah, this is a decent step up in price from the Z but that external volume control is mad convenient for headphones. I hate switching from speakers to headphones, launching a game and then discovering that the headphones are WAY too loud. It would be sweet to have that volume control, plus I'm not the biggest fan of my headphone cables running all over everything on the way to the back of my PC case.

I need to do some more research on these. I thought that I wanted the ZXR, but if the only difference is the lack of the daughter card then I'd be fine with the ZX because I don't need those extra connections. I just want to know if the main card is the same. Edit: they are not the same card, FWIW. The ZXR has superior components. Most say it sounds the best but it's not worth it if you're just gaming.

Last edited:
You could always set up keyboard volume control with something like autohotkey.

Yeah, this is a decent step up in price from the Z but that external volume control is mad convenient for headphones. I hate switching from speakers to headphones, launching a game and then discovering that the headphones are WAY too loud. It would be sweet to have that volume control, plus I'm not the biggest fan of my headphone cables running all over everything on the way to the back of my PC case.

I need to do some more research on these. I thought that I wanted the ZXR, but if the only difference is the lack of the daughter card then I'd be fine with the ZX because I don't need those extra connections. I just want to know if the main card is the same.

I don't think the ZXR has the same main card because it has replaceable OP-AMPs and better capacitors on it than the Z and ZX. Pretty sure the DACs are different models as well.

@primetime: Actually yes my keyboard does have a volume control on it. I generally prefer the dedicated volume knob because you don't have to fidget with it as much. It only controls the volume for that port instead of changing the volume for all outputs. So if I'm using my headset I can have the volume set where I want it, and if I want to turn on external speakers I just turn them on and the volume for those are already at 100% output since I didn't change the output in Windows. The other main benefit is that if you are switching back and forth between headphones and external speakers is that you aren't going to accidentally blast yourself because you left the volume all the way up.

Does your keyboard not have a volume control?

I only use mechanicals and most of them do not. But your post made me look at my Ducky Shine and it looks like F1-F3 can be used for volume controls. I never noticed that before as it's not lit up by the backlighting. :eek:

Still, that volume control would be nice to have on my desk. I guess I'm just trying to justify the purchase, haha. But I don't see this being better than my STX in terms of SQ. The ZXR would be a closer match.

bman212121 said:
I don't think the ZXR has the same main card because it has replaceable OP-AMPs and better capacitors on it than the Z and ZX. Pretty sure the DACs are different models as well.

Yeah, I found that out too and edited my post to reflect. Thanks though. :)

@primetime: Actually yes my keyboard does have a volume control on it. I generally prefer the dedicated volume knob because you don't have to fidget with it as much. It only controls the volume for that port instead of changing the volume for all outputs. So if I'm using my headset I can have the volume set where I want it, and if I want to turn on external speakers I just turn them on and the volume for those are already at 100% output since I didn't change the output in Windows. The other main benefit is that if you are switching back and forth between headphones and external speakers is that you aren't going to accidentally blast yourself because you left the volume all the way up.

This. The volume control definitely makes things more convenient for several reasons. I prefer turning a dial to manipulating it via the alternate functions of my F keys, plus like you said you can have two different volume levels for speakers and headphones which is tremendous. Also some of my headphones have really short cables and though I can buy an extension, it would be nice to just run them to that volume pod rather than the rear of my PC.

My understanding would be that the Volume Control / ACM is nothing more than a pot and not a true volume knob. Most forums I frequent recommend not even using the ACM and simply plugging the Headphones directly into the sound card(s) that offer it.

Back