Sound Blaster Z

topslop1

2[H]4U
Updated my motherboards bios, installed new chipset drivers, and got my ram up to an OK 3066 speed (up from 1866 that it was running as default).

Sound now seems to be kicking in and out on the Sound Blaster Z card - sounds underwater and doesn't push through clearly.

I can't imagine that it's just started to die at the same time I've done all of these changes.

Can instable memory speeds be attributed to this? I'm going to be testing with Prime95 tonight for stability...

It's easy enough to test if your overclock is the reason. Drop it back to stock to see. First rule of troubleshooting: get rid of the overclock

Other possible reasons for underwater sound are: Incorrect surround settings, incorrect wiring of your speakers.

y ram up to an OK 3066 speed (up from 1866 that it was running as default).

Sound now seems to be kicking in and out on the Sound Blaster Z card - sounds underwater and doesn't push through clearly.

It's easy enough to test if your overclock is the reason. Drop it back to stock to see. First rule of troubleshooting: get rid of the overclock

Other possible reasons for underwater sound are: Incorrect surround settings, incorrect wiring of your speakers.

ram was trying to get it up to advertised speed, not necessarily an oc, but I do understand what you're saying here. I'll have to plug it back in and play with it soon.

I've had a similar problem with my SoundBlaster Z after setting my RAM to 3200. I found this solution buried deep on some creative forum. Copy the following lines in a text file and rename it as a .reg (for example: fix.reg). Than double click it which should prompt your to add that information to your registry. Once done, reboot and it should hopefuly fix the issue.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\cthda\HDB\11020023]
"HW_CTL_MX_BSIZE"=dword:00000010

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\cthda\HDB\11020024]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\cthda\HDB\11020025]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\cthda\HDB\11020026]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\cthda\HDB\11020027]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\cthda\HDB\11020033]

Last edited:
Ended up plugging in a Xonar DGX for $35. Should've gone with Asus a long time ago and stayed with them. SB is just garbage riding out a name brand nowadays.

Back