Sound Blaster Z and Windows 10

My sliders aren't showing up properly in windows 10 (with the win10 drivers).

Apparently the card needs a few seconds to initialize during bios/ startup. It doesn't get the critical time it needs if you have a ssd or a fast boot method, and because creative can't admit to their design flaws they'll never fix it.
Would enabling the mobo's boot delay fix this?

Looks like the new anniversary update broke it again. Yey Microsoft-doesn't-work

Looks like the new anniversary update broke it again. Yey Microsoft-doesn't-work

Creative Labs apps and drivers have a tendency to break every time a new OS is out, even though they had months and years to prepare.

very strange the ZxR would have issues but the Z is and always has been fine thru ALL windows versions

Anniversary update did not break my ZXR. I think I'm using the carryover 8.1's but can't recall since I've not gone into the drivers to mess around in a long time. What I can say is before and after I get the same function - been replaying Inquisition and am quite confident I have good sound. Running 5.1 via optical to an Onkyo receiver, if my "method" makes any difference.

Anytime i ever had a glitch...which was only when i dual booted Linux and windows and simple reinstall of the drivers always fixed it. I wonder if some other software is conflicting some how?

I think I solved it. I had to manually disable the High Definition Audio Bus. I remember AMD software would turn it off but I guess when the windows update happened, it did something to the drivers and forced a generic HDMI audio driver to be installed.

Switched the output slider to headphone from the Sound Blaster menu and now we are up and running again.

I think I solved it. I had to manually disable the High Definition Audio Bus. I remember AMD software would turn it off but I guess when the windows update happened, it did something to the drivers and forced a generic HDMI audio driver to be installed.

Switched the output slider to headphone from the Sound Blaster menu and now we are up and running again.

You go to the audio chooser and disable and hide the sources you don't want and enable the one you do. You can choose whatever source from there. Disabling it in device manager is one option, just not very elegant way of doing it.

You go to the audio chooser and disable and hide the sources you don't want and enable the one you do. You can choose whatever source from there. Disabling it in device manager is one option, just not very elegant way of doing it.
yea i agree lol....but who would have thought stuff like this being difficult to begin with lol! Win 10 is broken!!!!!!:wacky:

Yeah I had to choose the Recon3Di from the chooser after my 1607 update. But it works just fine. I had to re-tweak every setting though, all default. That kind of pissed me off because I had it just the way I liked it. Oh well.

Yeah I had to choose the Recon3Di from the chooser after my 1607 update. But it works just fine. I had to re-tweak every setting though, all default. That kind of pissed me off because I had it just the way I liked it. Oh well.

If you switch outputs a lot like me, headphones uses soundcard vs speakers which uses an AVR, use this.

Audio Switcher

Thanks. the Recon3Di util has a headphone/speakers switch which works fine for my gaming rig. Since the 1607 update I only had to select the source I wanted once and I disabled the Nvidia audio in the device manager. But that's a handy util to have if needed. :)

The switcher applet lets you use hotkeys though and I'm betting that is a lot faster than digging into an control panel applet.

Back