Soul by Ludacris SL150 & SL300 Headphones Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Soul by Ludacris SL150 & SL300 Headphones Review - Rapper Ludacris is the latest celebrity to endorse a line of trendy headphones and ear buds. Will his name and manufacturer Signeo's product design come to signify quality audio products with cutting edge looks or are these just two more pairs of glossy plastic headphones with exaggerated bass beats?

I should think Ludacris did all the testing and product discussions...by telephone.

"Yeah yeah...I like that...how much do I get for my name?...Oh thats sweet!"

I stay away from any headphone that do not give specs for the drivers. Are they trying to hide a cheap ass 30 or 40mm driver?

I've got to wonder about the point of wasting time and resources reviewing garbage. I mean there are so many other reasonably priced headphones that would be worth spending time and money on. Like the Koss KSC-75's or some of the Fischer Audio range of headphones.

I've got to wonder about the point of wasting time and resources reviewing garbage. I mean there are so many other reasonably priced headphones that would be worth spending time and money on. Like the Koss KSC-75's or some of the Fischer Audio range of headphones.

I usually keep hush about [H] reviews but I agree with this. Sometimes the most random things are reviewed that everyone on this site knows it garbage. If it has and artists name on it it's going to be marked up without the hardware to back up the price. I enjoyed the article about the new Audio-Technica line, let's see more like that.

edit - I do understand the need to review items for the general population and Googlers as well to get clicks as well, oh well.

Kyle, can you test out the counterfeit headphones to see how they sound to the really thing?

I usually keep hush about [H] reviews but I agree with this. Sometimes the most random things are reviewed that everyone on this site knows it garbage. If it has and artists name on it it's going to be marked up without the hardware to back up the price. I enjoyed the article about the new Audio-Technica line, let's see more like that.

edit - I do understand the need to review items for the general population and Googlers as well to get clicks as well, oh well.

Good points, and it is funny because we get this from both sides of the argument. Here is a reader wanting to know the opposite from last week's case review.

I like the reviewing process. I guess the only thing I am surprised in is that so many cases are getting gold ratings? Does not really help narrow down selection at all.

Here is what I had to say about cases specifically.

"It comes down to this, we would rather spend our time and money looking at cases we think are going to be "good" rather than bad. "Bad" reviews generally cost us more in terms of resources to produce as well because figuring out faults and why those are there are generally more time intensive reviews to complete. Also, we simply have not done a lot of case reviews and we started out with the ones we see our readers are interested in. Don't see you guys interested in shitty products too often, so we just have not had a lot of "bad" cases on our radar.

To your last point, if telling you what is good and explaining in-depth as to why we think so does not help you out, well so be it. Sorry to waste your time."

So for the most part, I agree with you. Why spend all this money, time, and effort on something that sucks? Well, there are a couple of reasons. If we did nothing but write "good reviews," we would loose all credibility inside the specific genre it covered. I have had PR people come back and whine when they get a "bad review" and I have always told them that without a bad review in the log pile somewhere it narrows the impact of a "good review" overall. And I still believe this. We have to prove to our readers that we do know the difference between something that sucks and something that rocks.

(Earl's writing descriptions have progressed so very much that I have little question left as to good/bad because what he can hear and discern and state specifically leave me feeling like I wore the cans myself.)

The reason we specifically took time to review the Soul cans is because these are a high profile item that has tons of marketing behind it. If these would have been called Ghost and not had a celebrity endorsement or any marketing we would have never spent them time reviewing these.

And bottom line is that we did not KNOW that they sucked before we started out because we had no personal experience with the products. We have to keep an open mind about that.

But yeah, we would rather spend our resources telling you what to buy instead of what not to buy. In all my years of experience though, I have found that there is always going to be a product that sucks sooner or later, no matter the manufacturer or marketing dollars spent. We have had plenty of companies cancel ad contracts and walk away from doing business with HardOCP over "bad reviews." Interestingly enough though, once the butt-hurt goes away, they come back and advertise. [H]'ers spend money, and a lot of it. A lot of hardware sites have guys that read, but few buy to the extent that you guys do.

Thanks for stating your position Kyle. I enjoyed the review, and generally enjoy this site very much, and have done for many years now.

But one thing I'm just dying to say is that "it would be Ludacris to buy these!".

To be honest, apart from 14 to 19 year old boys, this kind of "celebrity" endorsed product does not really translate here in Europe. But I'm not saying that kids don't buy this stuff, but I laugh my ass off when I see that music producer guy doing Beats product placement on Pop Idol. It really makes me realize that this is why music is so badly recorded these days.

I'm also pretty sure that Ludacris would have no idea about sound quality, and audio in general. Just give him bags of bass and shit loads of trebble and I'm sure he will love it.

I'm off to enjoy the rest of your site, and kicking back with my HD650's, and NOT listening to Ludacris!

PS,
I hope you guys are going to have a look at the new Creative cards that just came out. I'm not expecting much from them, but I look forward to reading your take on it.

People ask me nearly everyday which type of headphones are what brand of gaming headset to buy.

I give people a few choices and I tell them several models I would personally recommend. As soon as I say Beyer-Dynamic, Audio-Technica, or Sennheiser, many of the people that I have spoken to say, "Who?" "No, no no, I mean I hear Beats by Dre are good, which ones should I get? My son and daughter want a pair."

So, in a strange twist to the whole review, Beats and the Soul Headphones are actually the two best "rapper-branded" headphones that I have heard, but they are still absolutely terrible overall.

A friend of mine overseas called me from a hotel in London where he was watching TV in a lobby. The show he was watching was like G5TV and they were talking of the Beats headphones and they mentioned our review on-air as one of the few that "was not pleased with the trendy high profile product." They even highlighted where we pointed out unpainted, thin flimsy plastic.

I am glad we did these. If these had been a real gem, at least those that pick a "name brand" would have had one with some semblance of quality. Too bad it was another example of why rapper-branded headphones are poor.

Last edited:
I'll show my Shrine of Electronica to guests sometimes. They'll often notice the AD700s. They stand out, especially in a room of black, white, and silver-grey. 'Oh, those are interesting headphones. Are they as good as Beats by Dre' 'Beats suck balls by comparison' 'Oh, how much do they cost' 'About $90'. Then they usually listen to them and find out that they bought a name, and nothing else. Most of them craigslist/ebay their Beats eventually.

I had about a 30 argument with my brother over something just like this. I spent the entire time telling him the Beats by Dr. Dre are just a marketing gimmick and the quality is terrible for the price. But he can be the most uninformed and ignorant person I know because every word coming out my mouth would just go in and out his.Articles, reviews, testimonials, none of it has an affect on him.

It was like a cartographer trying to reason with a flat earther.

Additionally, when I tried to get him to test out my own DT 770's he wouldn't even listen to it. I sometimes wonder how we're in the same gene pool at times. He's the same gullible fool who buys all the Monster Cable products and has zero understanding at how much of a waste they are. He's one of the few people on this earth who can get under my skin in 10 words or less, but I love the son of a bitch. I just don't know what to do to convince anymore.

I just got some well regarded AKG K-240 cans ($85), but I have no idea how they stack up against the competition personally (my first "real" headphones). There are a lot of headphones to choose from. Whoa I just noticed the Ludacris prices, holy crap haha.

Sounds like you went into this review with a closed mind. I could tell in the 1st paragraph you were already going to rip it. If that's the case then why even review it in the 1st place?

Sounds like you went into this review with a closed mind. I could tell in the 1st paragraph you were already going to rip it. If that's the case then why even review it in the 1st place?

You must be a mind reader. All it said in the first paragraph of the review that i read is that the soul headphones where a new addition to the celebrity endorsed headphones.

If you read some of the comments you can see why he reviewed it.

You must be a mind reader. All it said in the first paragraph of the review that i read is that the soul headphones where a new addition to the celebrity endorsed headphones.

If you read some of the comments you can see why he reviewed it.

You do of course realize that all the research and review process are completed when we start writing? Does this impact the writing style? Of course it does. It should. We are drawing you down the path of our findings. If that bothers you, I would suggest you read the spec sheet (of which there was not one) and go to the conclusion page.

Had we closed minds, we would not have spent the money to review the product. Reviews do not happen for free. And as spelled out above, if you read it, were our reasons for reviewing the product, which unless you think we are liars, certainly explains our motivations. Lastly, to be specific to your point, we have not reviewed a pair of headphones from this manufacturer and were hoping to find a good product here.

I am glad we did these. If these had been a real gem, at least those that pick a "name brand" would have had one with some semblance of quality. Too bad it was another example of why rapper-branded headphones are poor.

This is exactly the reason I read this review. I had really low expectations, but somewhere deep inside I was wanting these to be actually worth the asking price. But not today. Oh well... Maybe someday.

but somewhere deep inside I was wanting these to be actually worth the asking price.

For some reason, most audio equipment is not really worth the asking price. Depreciation is usually very severe as a result. The best way is to shop opportunistically ... searching for a specific audio product often results in rack rates.

Thanks for the review Kyle, certainly helps me to keep to what I know instead of venturing out for the "name". I'll stick with my Senn's thank you. :)

He used an open mind, the summary was written after he reviewed them. Honestly he could have skipped it, well if it wasn't for the fact that he wrote it mainly to give you the idea of his review and for all the sites looking for a synopsis to give before the subsequent linkage. But I suppose I'm wrong and he wrote that before he even opened the boxes.

Hey Kyle, I just ordered a pair of Audeze LCD2 planar headphones, I was attracted to how good the frequency response is from the 10-1Khz range and given my love of MFPS games, it might be the best I can get for positional audio in addition to regular tunes. Still, I don't have as much experience with headphones as you guys do, if you find it interesting as well could you see if Audeze is willing to part with one for a review?

Appreciate the review. But I avoid artist branded products for the simple fact, the main focus is never on the product where it should be but rather on cost and paying the artist his / her licensing fees.

It's actually in most cases cheaper to purchase a name brand product. It's cheaper and the performance and quality is there.

Guys, I know testing equipment is expensive. However, your personal opinions about how a set of headphones sound is the most unprofessional thing I have seen come from the [H]. It really is totally irrelevant.

If you can't be bothered to purchase the proper equipment to actually test the headphones, then why bother?

See:
http://www.cjs-labs.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/HeadphoneMeasurements.pdf

Yes, it's a hard thing to do. Yes, it will cost money. Yes, it is the difference between a review that is essentially useless and one that provides at least some qualitative measurement for your readers edification.

These headphones sound good. [VS] These headphones exhibit "X" frequency response when measured with "Y" equipment.

Personally, the function of a device maters to me more than form. These continue to be half of a product review. You might as well not even put these on your head for all of the information that your opinion gives about the characteristic sound of any pair of headphones.

Furthermore, there is no incentive for any of these manufactures to do any better under public scrutiny.

Good review. Well written. Honest.

Testing? Why? In my rather experienced opinion, testing for stats results in absolutely nothing more than fodder for silly ass arguments about numbers.

Listen with the equipment the majority of people will use and say if it sounds good or bad and why you feel that way. Who the fuck is going to care what the freq measurements are with good equipment when it sounds like ass out of an iphone?

We know what these type of headphones are and who they are marketed towards. Not gamers. Not unless you like getting knifed repeatedly. Which ironically might happen in real life if you walk down the wrong street with a pair these booming farts in your ears.

Chill. The guys got it right with these. This isn't headroom or headfi. Different parameters. Peace

Also, different headphones will probably be preferred for different content .... music, studio, tv, gaming, digital instrument, audio books, etc ... an EQ can only do so much (for instance, closed vs open-back headphones).

... Or many Senn's, AT's, Ultra's, Grado's, etc...

This is my personal thought, not Kyle's.

If we measure a set of headphones professionally, and you see a literal hump in the lower frequency range, you will most likely think, "bloated bass, poor frequency response."

In our time with Audio-Technica's A900 headphones, we found that those had a bass heavy signature, but we could still game with the best of them while wearing the headphones.

Some might see a bare graph and just shy away from them and not give them a chance. Measurements are something that we leave to the other guys and we give you an idea of how they sound during real world usage and testing. We have tested some great headphones that you might not think would be good for gaming but they were. Others with a 20-20 frequency response rating still sound like absolute crap, no matter how neutral they label themselves to be.

I guess I can say things like, "good for blues, jazz, and classical, but poor for rock, rap, house and techno." Or I could quote you a song you could buy at a moment's notice and play it for yourself and you will have a nearly identical experience to my own.

I have not built a model head and measured the headphones with a pair of microphones. I use my ears as obvious as that may sound and give you my impressions.

We have had great experiences with Audio-Technica's open headphones, but I meet people regularly that say they just sound "too plain."

Guys, I know testing equipment is expensive. However, your personal opinions about how a set of headphones sound is the most unprofessional thing I have seen come from the [H]. It really is totally irrelevant.

If you can't be bothered to purchase the proper equipment to actually test the headphones, then why bother?

See:
http://www.cjs-labs.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/HeadphoneMeasurements.pdf

Yes, it's a hard thing to do. Yes, it will cost money. Yes, it is the difference between a review that is essentially useless and one that provides at least some qualitative measurement for your readers edification.

These headphones sound good. [VS] These headphones exhibit "X" frequency response when measured with "Y" equipment.

Personally, the function of a device maters to me more than form. These continue to be half of a product review. You might as well not even put these on your head for all of the information that your opinion gives about the characteristic sound of any pair of headphones.

Furthermore, there is no incentive for any of these manufactures to do any better under public scrutiny.

All of those points are well and true. Is it not your responsibility to educate your reader as to why a perfectly flat frequency response may not be what they are looking for? That is what EQ is for. It's so people can add their favorite amount/frequency of noise to the signal to suit their personal preference.

Your ears are not the same as mine. Nothing about the statements you make can be taken as truth even if they do sound that way to you.

Really what you are saying is you can't be bothered.

One could easily make the same statement about the Power Supply reviews that you guys do.

Does it pass the stress test? Is it within the standard set forth. You think half the people who buy computer power supplies are concerned with the minutia covered in those reviews? I think not. However, there is a certain subset of the population that is concerned.

The same is true for basically every consumer product that one could imagine.

I would expect a sound engineer to know that the impressions made about the way the phones sound based on personal opinion are so filled with error that they can't possibly be accurate. So why even make the statements?

I guess I don't understand why some effort can't be made to improve this aspect of the review process for headphones. What you are doing is effectively being an ally to companies that would offer sub-par overpriced merchandise to their customers by not revealing the full extent of their failed design.

I feel that if you wish to be considered a legitimate reviewer of headphones then you should take the steps necessary to do so. I have a hard enough time believing actual measurements based on the various factors involved with the equipment used for the collection of the data. That is still far better than the opinion of a human based on his/her 100% unique impression.

You are attempting to add the perception of value to your review with statements about the sound of these headphones. That is all it is. It is the perception of value. It is, in fact, meaningless.

All of those points are well and true. Is it not your responsibility to educate your reader as to why a perfectly flat frequency response may not be what they are looking for? That is what EQ is for. It's so people can add their favorite amount/frequency of noise to the signal to suit their personal preference.

You are attempting to add the perception of value to your review with statements about the sound of these headphones. That is all it is. It is the perception of value. It is, in fact, meaningless.
I would agree with you if this were a site dedicated to sound system reviews.
It's not.
Do you go to audiophile sites and complain that their headphone reviews don't give the reader any idea of how well a pair of Grado PS1000's handle the sound imaging in BF3?

As Kyle and Earl have repeatedly stated, not only in these comments, but throughout Earl's tenure at the [H], they aren't trying to do in-depth review of headphones from an audiophile's perspective, but from a gamer's perspective.

If I'm buying a set of mid-upper tier headphones for my audio system, I'm not coming here to look for reviews.
If I'm looking for a low-mid priced set of headphones that will be used primarily for gaming, however, those sites aren't going to be helpful.

Most people do more that just game with their "gaming" headphones, so if someone has established a reputation as a fair-minded reviewer with experience and knowledge in the field, then that person's opinion on how well a set of headphones fulfills those primary and secondary purposes has a lot of value.

There are plenty of sites out there devoted to the audiophile's perspective.
If that's what you're looking for in headphone reviews, you're simply at the wrong site.

I have a hard enough time believing actual measurements based on the various factors involved with the equipment used for the collection of the data. That is still far better than the opinion of a human based on his/her 100% unique impression.

So you have a hard time even believing the actual measurements yet insist that [H] take the time to make those measurements...right. Also, if the manufacturer didn't even send a spec sheet then what is the point? [H] isn't the go-to place for headphone reviews but they can throw their opinions out there if they think a product might appeal to their audience.

While audio quality is always going to be subjective in nature, you are wrong about perception and opinion being meaningless. The masses here at [H] are not audiophiles that are going to want to compare raw data and graphs when deciding on headphones, but they might be willing to listen to what Earl has to say because he's been a trusted reviewer here. The review gives the audience here an idea of what to expect and an opinion to consider, which is probably much more practical to the average [H] member than frequency graphs.

Reviews of this are of use if for no other reason than they can help persuade people not to buy shit like this. Sure if you know about audio (and marketing) you probably tend to automatically exclude anything with a rapper's name attached to it from your pool of potential items. However the reason companies do it is because for most people, it works the other way. They see a celebrity attached and say "Oh X endorses it so it must be good!"

So you have a hard time even believing the actual measurements yet insist that [H] take the time to make those measurements...right. Also, if the manufacturer didn't even send a spec sheet then what is the point? [H] isn't the go-to place for headphone reviews but they can throw their opinions out there if they think a product might appeal to their audience.

While audio quality is always going to be subjective in nature, you are wrong about perception and opinion being meaningless. The masses here at [H] are not audiophiles that are going to want to compare raw data and graphs when deciding on headphones, but they might be willing to listen to what Earl has to say because he's been a trusted reviewer here. The review gives the audience here an idea of what to expect and an opinion to consider, which is probably much more practical to the average [H] member than frequency graphs.

Also most people do not have the knowledge to interpret audio measurements. It is complex, there are a lot of factors that matter, but how much they matter depends on a number of things. To truly measure something like headphones you'd end up throwing about 30 pages of highly technical graphs at people and most people just wouldn't know what to make of it, even if they were interested.

Even seemingly simple things can get complex, particularly with headphones. For example you might think a frequency response graph would be worth it. I mean moar flat = moar better right? Well not necessarily. Your ears affect the sound incoming to them. So a perfectly flat response from a speaker is no longer perfectly flat once it has entered the ear canal. Thus if you had IEMs that were perfectly flat, they wouldn't sound right, they have to be equalized differently.

I wish I knew of a simple way to make a few measurements to get useful numbers to compare headphones/speakers but there just isn't. It is real complicated and if there's a way to make it simple, I haven't heard of it (and it is the sort of thing I am in to). Hence why you get a lot of simplistic BS-ified stats from companies. They know consumers can't handle all the data so they'll just do something like present frequency response numbers out of any context and call it good.

Really, for the average user, a subjective audio review is the most useful. It gives them the best idea of what they can expect their experience to be like. It's not perfect, but it is the most useful, more useful than a ton of Linear-X and Audio Precision graphs.

...your personal opinions about how a set of headphones sound is the most unprofessional thing I have seen come from the [H].

Man, you must not read much of our other content! :eek:

Seriously. HardOCP headphone reviews NOT FOR YOU. Noted. You should be able to tell to avoid the content next time from the title of the article so you are not exposed to such drivel.

Another good review, and another set of "big name" endorsed/designed headphones that are overpriced crap. I imagine the good side of this is the people that listen to Ludacris, etc, on a regular basis will waste their money on these things and ruin their hearing in private instead of spending it on annoyingly loud car speakers. Fools and their money... I guess these guys know their market.

I just got some well regarded AKG K-240 cans ($85), but I have no idea how they stack up against the competition personally (my first "real" headphones). There are a lot of headphones to choose from. Whoa I just noticed the Ludacris prices, holy crap haha.

A little personal experience on this. I've been using AKG K-240 Studio headphones for several years now. To date, they're the best headphones I've ever used. I tested several pair of "studio" grade headphones before selecting these, including some by Sennheiser, and the AKG's had the best sound. By "best" I mean that the sound was clean at every frequency range and balanced. For studio work you want even levels across the board - not heavy or light on bass or treble or anything in between. That's what the mixing board is for. Musically I've put everything from Rachmaninoff and Mozart to Slayer and Metallica to 2 Live Crew and Sir Mix-A-Lot to Skrillex and DeadMau5 through these and - musical preference not being a factor here as I don't like everything I've run through these and I sure as hell don't like rap or dubstep - all of it sounds as I think it should with a flat equalizer. I've used them for movie playback extensively, and everything from whispers to loud explosions sound balanced, and direction is clearly present as to where the sound comes from. I use them for sound effects editing as well, and they're superb for finding the annoying little pops and skips that can show up with cutting and splicing waveforms. I game in them exclusively. They sound much better than my stereo speakers and I can pick up directional cues from them and hear much more subtle sounds with the headphones than with the speakers.

I can't say they're necessarily the "best" thing on the market, as that is subjective and depends on what features you're looking for, but they've performed well for me several years and they still sound as good as new. They're very comfortable. I've worn them for over 12 hours at a stretch without them getting heavy or feeling like I need to remove them. They breathe very well. They're also durable. It's very hard to break these things as much as I use them, and with that nice long cable you can move around a bit - something I'm very happy about. They're not without a few drawbacks though. They're not noise canceling, and they're not very portable. They are designed for studio work after all, not riding the bus. I think you've made a good choice on some quality headphones based on my experience. Others might have opinions on what is better, but I think they're every bit worth the money you paid for them.

Also, where did you get those for $85? Just about everywhere I see them they run $99.

Does it pass the stress test? Is it within the standard set forth. You think half the people who buy computer power supplies are concerned with the minutia covered in those reviews? I think not. However, there is a certain subset of the population that is concerned.
Uh... that's kind of the subset that the [H] is there for. It's there for the enthusiasts. The [H] does power supply reviews the way I would want them to be done, and I've been building my own computers and computers for close friends of mine since 1995. The machines I build typically become obsolete before anything in them fails, and are often still used second-hand for several years after. Why? I'm very selective about my component choices and I'm very meticulous in my build process. It's why my stuff does not break. I can't afford for it to fail, so I build it right the first time. What Kyle does with the power supply reviews makes it a lot easier for me to know that a power supply is made from quality parts and isn't going to fail. The review process the [H] undertakes is exactly why I trust their reviews more than other sites that are less intensive. Nobody was performing torture tests and component-level inspections for consumer-grade power units prior to the [H].

The same is true for basically every consumer product that one could imagine.
So... because there's a lot of things to sell in the world people shouldn't do in-depth reviews?

I would expect a sound engineer to know that the impressions made about the way the phones sound based on personal opinion are so filled with error that they can't possibly be accurate. So why even make the statements?
Do you even understand the purpose of a review? Here, I'll explain it for you. It's to provide an opinion so that others can make a more informed decision before making a purchase. How something sounds is going to be subjective. Explaining the test criteria provides context for subjective opinions. Hooking an oscilloscope to headphone A and headphone B and measuring waveforms isn't going to tell me how something sounds. It may tell me that this frequency has a higher amplitude on headphone A than on headphone B, but that's it. It's like measuring the lumens and response time on pixels on a TV. It gives me a lot of technical data that may be accurate, but is functionally useless. I have to see the whole picture in motion to know if I'm going to like it or not. As an example, there was a discussion a while back in which I participated in where a fellow was looking at the differences between plasma and LCD screens. Several of us on the forum did our best to educate him on the differences and which we preferred personally. I like plasma screens and CRT's and hate LCD's as a personal preference. This fellow ended up disliking plasmas and preferring LCD's. Which of us was right and which was wrong? It's a matter of preference. That's the whole reason there's more than one kind of product. Now as for what a sound engineer wound think... are YOU a sound engineer? If not, then you have no business speaking about what sound engineers would or would not say. If so, then please, enlighten us on how you think the [H] should be doing their reviews from a sound engineer's perspective.

I guess I don't understand why some effort can't be made to improve this aspect of the review process for headphones. What you are doing is effectively being an ally to companies that would offer sub-par overpriced merchandise to their customers by not revealing the full extent of their failed design.
Are you sure we read the same review? These headphones look like they're overpriced, overhyped, cheap crap to me, and that's from reading the review. I expected they'd be crap based on previous rapper-labeled headphones, and this supported what I expected. I won't be plunking down any money on these, nor will I be recommending them to anyone. Now, if the [H] had reached a different conclusion and said these kicked AKG's and Sennheiser's best headphones' asses with clear sound at all frequencies, exceptional durability, and that they even summoned unicorns and rainbows on demand then I might have decided to check into them.

I feel that if you wish to be considered a legitimate reviewer of headphones then you should take the steps necessary to do so.
Who determines who is a legitimate reviewer of something? What exactly are these steps? Hmm?

Perceptions are far from meaningless. The world of marketing is entirely based on it, and if you think marketing is not successful at making people do things based on perceptions you're living in complete ignorance. Beyond that, value is entirely based in perception. How much you value something is entirely subjective. I think $350 for a pair of headphones is outrageously high. Someone else might think that it's chump change and throw down over a grand for a pair. Someone thinks paying $100,000+ for a Fisker Karma is just fine. I think it's a waste of cash. It's up to the individual to assign value to what they buy.

Also, where did you get those for $85? Just about everywhere I see them they run $99.

Amazon. $85, $99 -- I would have bought them either way. They are indeed very comfortable (I use them with my digital piano for hours.) I just didn't want to buy $300 headphones for a $500 keyboard, that seems ... silly.

Perceptions are far from meaningless. The world of marketing is entirely based on it, and if you think marketing is not successful at making people do things based on perceptions you're living in complete ignorance. Beyond that, value is entirely based in perception. How much you value something is entirely subjective. I think $350 for a pair of headphones is outrageously high. Someone else might think that it's chump change and throw down over a grand for a pair. Someone thinks paying $100,000+ for a Fisker Karma is just fine. I think it's a waste of cash. It's up to the individual to assign value to what they buy.

FYI. I was speaking of the value of the review not the headphones. In this instance [H]ard reviews are a product that caries a value. The review of the craftsmanship and fit and finish of the physical device is the only part that caries value. The educated guess of the reviewer is the part that gives the perception of value. Seeing as the information is false, one must conclude it has no real value.

Turns out Tyll comes through for us again and has measured a set of these phones.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SoulbyLudacrisSL150.pdf

Strikes me as kind of ironic. These headphones actually are not that bad. At least compared to the Dr. Dre versions. Hey, you guys wouldn't know that though since you are just guessing. Still no where close to my Senns, but worlds better than the Dre branded items.

He has done a review of the more expensive noise cancelling version. Too rich for my blood. Though not completely terrible with the NC circuit engaged.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/soul-ludacris-sl300-noise-canceling-headphone

You guys can be upset with me all you like. The truth of the matter is, by mentioning how these phones sound without measuring them you are essentially misleading your readers.

From the graphs you think those headphones look decent. When you hear them it is a very different story.

I took them through every aspect of what they would be used for, your measurements can not do that. No other site reviews gaming headphones and headsets to the extent that we do. Some may say, "Sounded great in Dirt 3, okay in Deus, and amazing in BF3." I make sure I tell you where to go and what activity to perform and it will sound very close to what I have explained. Your charts will NEVER show that. The chart may show they are "okay," but they can not show readers what a small sound stage these headphones have. Period. If you know of a measurement that can show that, I would be happy to know what it is.
These headphones reproduce bass, but they do so poorly in every other bass heavy genre besides certain rap songs. Your graphs can not show that either.

Sorry you do not enjoy our reviews. There are plenty of other sites that might be more to your liking.

FYI. I was speaking of the value of the review not the headphones. In this instance [H]ard reviews are a product that caries a value. The review of the craftsmanship and fit and finish of the physical device is the only part that caries value. The educated guess of the reviewer is the part that gives the perception of value. Seeing as the information is false, one must conclude it has no real value.

Turns out Tyll comes through for us again and has measured a set of these phones.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SoulbyLudacrisSL150.pdf

Back