Sorry, but I could really use some cell phone advice...

Lazarey

Gawd
I know this is probably asked a lot, but I could really use some cell phone advice.
I've been researching this for awhile and I'm about to lose it :eek:

I need two phones for my grandparents who have never owned cell phones before or even a computer. So ease of use of critical here.

I need a phone for my mother who doesn't care too much about features, she just wants good reception. She has used cell phones before.

And I need a phone for myself. I can probably take care of this one on my own. I'm currently trying to decide if I want to shell out the cash for a N82 or N95 or just get something cheaper like a Blackjack, walkman, or Razr. Also considering the iPhone, but I don't know if that will work since I won't be getting the mobile internet or whatever it's called.

The carrier we will be using is AT&T. We will not be getting the mobile internet.

If anyone can offer any advice, I would really appreciate it. I'm also looking for a good cell phone review site. I'm currently using pcmag.com and cnet.

Thanks! :)

Sorry, I didn't realize that there was a mobile phone area before I posted this. Sad, since I've been on here for 2 years.

Just wondered if a mod could move this thread for me. Thanks.

Sorry, I didn't realize that there was a mobile phone area before I posted this. Sad, since I've been on here for 2 years.

Just wondered if a mod could move this thread for me. Thanks.

Don't worry it's a recent addition. :cool:

Just reported it needed a move for you :)

I recommend Nokia 6085/6086's :) They have tons of features (They don't need em but oh well ) and are free. The 6086 has wifi and supports unlimited calling via local wifi if you want that hahah

If you're not going to be using it as a mobile Internet device or business email device then there is absolutely zero point in spending the money on a smartphone in any form. Just grab the free phones, they'll do everything you want and then some. Also, just of note AT&T forces data plans of some sort on smartphones.

I'm leaning towards a Nokia N82 or a Sony Ericsson K850i for their cameras, not their smart phone capabilities.

I leaning towards a Nokia N82 or a Sony Ericsson K850i for their cameras, not their smart phone capabilities.

So good cameras are a want? The k850i DEFINITELY fits the bill. Dunno what ATT charges for it, but the xenon flash definitely makes it worth it. Would KILL for a camphone with an optical zoom though :(

If you're not going to be using it as a mobile Internet device or business email device then there is absolutely zero point in spending the money on a smartphone in any form. Just grab the free phones, they'll do everything you want and then some. Also, just of note AT&T forces data plans of some sort on smartphones.

He only said not buying a data plan, that wont stop him from using Wifi ;D. I use the wifi at work, home, and peoples houses (who doesnt have a wireless router these days?). Only time I can't use it is driving or going "out". Either of which would get me killed by traffic or killed by my wife.

Yes, I do plan on using WiFi. Probably not often, but I do want the ability.

Back