Sorry, 3060nvidia in x58 computer. Bios vs uhfi?

UltraTaco

Limp Gawd
Hi hi! I have a question. I know this may be easy to understand, but nt to me. I entered newg shuffle nd I think I'm going to win a 3060 today.

If I do win, will it work with my computer? It is not very modern, circa 2008 X58 platform. I've heard rumours that bios and UHFI may not be compatible with each other, because bios is old version with very small memory.

Some people said computer may only run with Maxwell series, but certain people said they successfully ran 1060 which is Pascal and even 2080ti witch is turning.

My motherboard is asus p6t deluxe with xenon 6core processor
It has 8gb dual channel ram. And I use wi dows10 unregistered version. It says to register in transparent corner.

Do you think I wasted time entering because if I win I won't be able to use the card?

Thank uou!

My RTX 30x0 series cards work on my x58 boards just fine, I don't think you should have an issue.

My general rule here is if it fits in the slot you should be able to get it to work.

Also the best part about running a modern GPU in an older rig is you have the joy of upgrading the rest of it later and unlock the full power of your gpu!

My general rule here is if it fits in the slot you should be able to get it to work.

Not true - motherboards that don't support UEFI have a chance of encountering a video card with a buggy traditional BIOS.

I have also heard of one and only one cards that had a buggy UEFI (and forced the users to switch to compatibility mode).

Buggy legacy BIOS on video cards are a lot more likely than buggy UEFIs. Neither is very likely

Turing (and presumably Ampere) and Vega (and presumably Navi) cards definitely require UEFI motherboard to work properly. The BIOS/UEFI compatibility layers (CSM/GoP) are a whole mess when it comes to GPUs and using a UEFI card on a non-UEFI board will result in anything from the system not POSTing at all to hanging on post with artifacts to the OS successfully loading but showing artifacts and crashing when the GPU drivers are loaded to it actually working if luck really comes thru.

The only way to be totally sure in this situation short of trying it yourself is to find a first-hand account of someone succeeding with the same model of card (ideally with the same revision of VBIOS) on the same motherboard with the same BIOS version and same OS and driver. Too much chaos factor with BIOS/UEFI interactions to make generalizations about edge compatibility when GPUs are involved.

Not true - motherboards that don't support UEFI have a chance of encountering a video card with a buggy traditional BIOS.

I have also heard of one and only one cards that had a buggy UEFI (and forced the users to switch to compatibility mode).

Buggy legacy BIOS on video cards are a lot more likely than buggy UEFIs. Neither is very likely

I said you "should" be able to make it work. If it doesn't then this is lame and I won't accept any excuses lol. But yeah wasn't aware of these new changes.

I'm curious if D-EJ915 x58 board has UEFI bios options?

There are certain MBs that have UEFI, notably msi. Also I think intels have uefi support.
Tacos asus only has bios.

Either way, taco isn't pursuing rtx 3060. Picked up asus strix 960 2gb for 65dollars free shipping. That will werk, right?

I'm currently using one of those for my htpc - I could maybe try booting in compatibility mode later tonight

all my systems are uef, but I think they officially supported legacy bios through pascal

I also upgraded from a GTX 460 to this 960, and it's been pretty damn impressive. Even overclcoked to 800 mhz, my 460 is 60% slower

not the 2x upgrade my 1060 got me ,but can still play games like horizon zero dawn at 1080p mid/high.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I selected Legacy only, and although the os did not boot, the video card continued to display

I think you will be fine!

Also, just realized I reinstalled Windows with IDE mode on last week. Guess I've got work to do!

edit: this worked perfectly! So much easier than the hack job that was win 7 ahci switching!

https://support.thinkcritical.com/kb/articles/switch-windows-10-from-raid-ide-to-ahci
that way does work but its easier to do this: hold shift and select restart to get advanced start options, select safe mode and restart and enter the bios, change sata mode save and let it boot to safe mode, then reboot. thats it, no command lines needed.

Hi hi! I have a question. I know this may be easy to understand, but nt to me. I entered newg shuffle nd I think I'm going to win a 3060 today.

If I do win, will it work with my computer? It is not very modern, circa 2008 X58 platform. I've heard rumours that bios and UHFI may not be compatible with each other, because bios is old version with very small memory.

Some people said computer may only run with Maxwell series, but certain people said they successfully ran 1060 which is Pascal and even 2080ti witch is turning.

My motherboard is asus p6t deluxe with xenon 6core processor
It has 8gb dual channel ram. And I use wi dows10 unregistered version. It says to register in transparent corner.

Do you think I wasted time entering because if I win I won't be able to use the card?

Thank uou!

You wasted time entering because no one ever wins...

In all seriousness, did you link the Asus Strix card you bought anywhere? It sounds like a decent price for that card given the market.

nice and yeah, that thing has seen better days. looks like it was in someones spare parts box....

Guys guys!! Taco received a new card today nd I cried!! She looked a little beat up, looked liek someone plaid basketball with it!! But she werked!

I ddued out old drivers in save mode nd removed gtx460 nd then popped new card in the 960. Everything started, but no signal, bloody hell, wtf!! Ahha, dint plug in display port. Okay she disaplays now!!!

Okay, so everything seemed fine, taco ran unigine heaven benchmark nd fans screamed nd she was 89c!!! Noo!! I cried!

Anyways, I decided to remove her nd take apart, but no baking this time. Turns out the surface on the cooler was nt flat!! It had a ridge in the centre! WHYY!!!!!!

taco took scraper blade nd scratched off centre ridge nd grabbed some sanding paper from my brothers toolbox nd scratched it dwn well!!

It looked now a little more scratchy, but flatter! I cView attachment 355461leaned everything up, applied mx4 attic paste nd reassembled her!! No backplate this time. Then power on, but no display, OH NOO!!!

again didnt plug in cable. Now tan benchmark nd she was 200 points higher nd never went above 66c. Fans dint evn scream!!

Yaay!!!View attachment 355464

m never buying used video cards.

Yeah, that's exactly the temperature you're supposed to see new from the card.

It's a tiny efficient cooler, that just need a little re-greasing; used sucks, but it's better than nothing!

Now you need to check out console games newer than Skyrim at glorious 1080p HIGH! Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Fallen Order, and every Borderlands game besides the third are easy!

Last edited:
Mates!! She was boosting to 1380mhz at 1.025v is it good or bad? I have no idea, my gtx460 didn't have any of this boost clocks or whatever, just ran on stock speeds. Temps were max at 64. Taco had hwinfo64 running in background d.
looks like its boosting higher than asus says. you cleaned it, its running cooler, so maybe it boost better.

1620788679224.png

O cool! Thank you! Do you think it is worth to increase a fan curve to make her tun a little cooler by shaving a couple degrees? I dont know, do they have a fan curve than cn be modified? Taco nt even sure what to use, only received bare card in the mail. Thank you, pendragon1 ! Your awesome!
install afterburner and set a custom fan curve, if you want. its temp is fine. so if you do increase the fan, try increasing the speed a bit too. dont forget to bump the ram...
edit:
tom's topped out their card at 1461/1863. you could start with just increasing the power limit to max.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-geforce-gtx-960-strix-oc-edition,4151-7.html

Last edited:
Hi! Taco downloaded msi afterburner last night and just finished the test. My methology was this:

Test with everything default. Boost 1380
Test with everything default, fan 100%. Boost 1380, but temperatures a little lower. you cn see second part where fan ramped to 100%...

View attachment 355780

Thn I installed afterburner nd set full power limit to 115%. Nd same 100% fan. Boost 1380. Taco guess it's what this particular chip is binned for somehow? Nt sure...hmm.
Many midrange GPUs from older generations don't end up power-limited even at stock because of how the voltage/frequency curve is set. The good news is that unlike newer NV GPUs, Maxwell doesn't have the voltage locked across the board however some individual GPU models allow upward adjustment and some don't. You seem to have thermal headroom so if overvolt away if Afterburner supports it on your card.

Well, I wasn't going to overclock her, but now my curiosity tingles me in ways taco cnt resist. I am afraid though, this is my active gpu nd I just got her.

Voltage is greyed out in afterburner, but nSpector I have it available all the way to 1.162v.
View attachment 355798
i wouldnt worry about the voltage yet, the max power limit might hit it anyways. i'd try upping the clocks 25mhz at a time, testing in-between.

Back