SOP: network diagram w/ VMs??

J-Will

[H]ard|Gawd
My apologies if the Virtualization section is a better fit...

In order for my lab to be accredited I have to provide several documents, one of which is a network diagram. That is fine, and I know how to do that, however the big question I have is what the standard for showing VMs on a diagram is.

What makes this even easier is I only need to show one physical machine, connected to a router to the internet. Off that host machine is several VMs, with static IPs. I just need an example as to what the VMs should look like in a diagram.

I always show the physical host, then in a thought bubble show the VM's running on the host.

I always show the physical host, then in a thought bubble show the VM's running on the host.

This + I will usually add a page to my visio diagram for each VM host showing each individual server including VLAN, NIC assignment, and IP info on it.

"this thread is useless without pics!"

ok enough juvenile thread banter. in all seriousness, i'm a visual person. a screen cap or even link to a "scrubbed" version of some examples would be great. i'm in the process of updating my home network and visually separating my lab and "production" home network is getting semi confusing. the SAN, my 4 VMware ESX boxes, the managed cisco gear....arrrrggh *tears hair out*

Here is one i made, (names changed)

Temp.jpg

Not the greatest thing in the world, but functioned for what I was doing with it

VisioESX.png

If you're using VMware go get Veeam Reporter eval. Let it diagram them for you the first time.

Back