Sooo

FastAttack

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 1, 2001
Messages
169
I just upgraded from a Geforce Ti 4400 to a ATI radeon 9800 Pro

Now the question is.. x800 is out.. and i just got the 9800 Pro.. I got it for $260 ( with taxes) should I dump it and get the X800 pro instead?

I can get it for like about $330-$340 here locally.. I am just wondering if its worth it or not.

prob is if I return this card.. I am out of a vid card..

Best buy shows its on back order for about 2 weeks

should I take advantage and return it? ( I got 30 days)
 

NeoNemesis

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 10, 2004
Messages
2,464
I would say YES, thats just my personal opinion. I have a 9500pro and am saving my pennies for the x800xt. However, I'm still thinking that maybe I should wait and just upgrade everything so I can get PCI-Express.
 

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Joined
May 18, 1997
Messages
52,351
Hang tight on you money bro, I am still playing on a 9800Pro and am happy with it. The prices are going to shake out over the next couple of months and waiting will no doubt save you some cash.

(Sorry I did not read.....yeah, if you can get 200 back and then give up another 130 to get teh X800, I would do it.
 

FastAttack

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 1, 2001
Messages
169
actually its a Best Buy Card.. I got 30 days to return it..

the only reason why I dumped my nvidia card was because it died on me..

I've been on the nvidia bandwagon for a long time.. plus the game I am buying the card for is favoring ATI cards ( Tribes Vengeance)
 

djskankho

Gawd
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
923
I say return the 9800pro to BB and get a cheaper one somewhere else. It's good performance for the money I'd say.
 

bobmanfoo

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 14, 2004
Messages
437
FastAttack said:
actually its a Best Buy Card.. I got 30 days to return it..

the only reason why I dumped my nvidia card was because it died on me..

I've been on the nvidia bandwagon for a long time.. plus the game I am buying the card for is favoring ATI cards ( Tribes Vengeance)


eh? i thought it was 14 days? can you confirm the 30 days?
 
Joined
Jan 27, 2004
Messages
898
NeoNemesis said:
I would say YES, thats just my personal opinion. I have a 9500pro and am saving my pennies for the x800xt. However, I'm still thinking that maybe I should wait and just upgrade everything so I can get PCI-Express.

OffT:
Why, you can't compensate for all the new stuff that's coming out [new sockets from both green and blue, sata 300, DDR2, etc]. Even if you get a PCI-E supporting motherboard right now you're still going to have to get a new one sometime next year [especially if both AMD and Intel move to dual cpus]. Seems like a loose loose situation to me [well, it's win win for the corporate assshits :rolleyes:].

OnT: Dude, just get a X800 Pro, or if you can, wait see how the 6800GT fairs [it's supposed to be 16 pipes without...you know...taking a knife to it :p ].
 
Joined
Nov 20, 2003
Messages
666
these are hard times. the x800 looks just awesome, the 9800 is still a great card, and we are right on the edge of the release of pci express. i dont know what to tell you, but if i were you, id wait for pci express and for prices to die down also. still its complicated
 

ThreeDee

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Sep 5, 2001
Messages
11,286
I'd say go for the X800 pro ..then you wont have to jump on the pci x wagon for a bit cause you still be able to play newer games for awhile
 

FastAttack

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 1, 2001
Messages
169
well I am returning the card as of tomorrow then..

going to wait a few weeks before I get a new one..

for now I will use my trust old 300mhz machine hehe
 

jacuzz1

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 14, 2004
Messages
7,045
I sold my 9800xt while it was still worth good money and will wait out the x800xt delay. (popped an old nvidia card in )

The pci express is a non issue unless you want to drop a huge nut on "beta hardware" I will wait for the second round of pci express mobo's 18 months out. I hope to avoid buying the latest ASUS mobo only to replace it 2 months later with thier better version ;)
 

DaveX

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 2, 2003
Messages
1,774
I got a 9800XT for $260 a while back...I don't have enough money for a X800 Pro. But I say go for the X800 Pro. The X800XT PE is about twice as good as the 128MB 9800 Pro (generally speaking). And if you could successfully [H]ard mod it into a X800XT... :cool:
 

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
Joined
Feb 9, 2002
Messages
59,175
I've got an X800Pro and it's badass. It's not that much slower than a X800XT in all reality. Sure it doesn't 3D Mark as high. But if you look at actual game play settings and framerates theres often cases where the two score the same. Some rare instances of a 35% lead in favor of the X800XT. But bottom line for a third more cash you get twice the performance. You can't beat that at all.
 

FastAttack

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 1, 2001
Messages
169
Thanks guys for your input :)

worst comes to worst I will pop in an old PCI vid card while I wait until the x800 comes out of backorder hehe
 
Joined
Jun 17, 2003
Messages
699
$330 -$340 for a X800 Pro thats a darn good price..u must have good sources ;) go get it, the performance margin is worth it.
 

FastAttack

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 1, 2001
Messages
169
Well just came back from best buy.. its on long term back order now :(

actually the deal is floating around that you could get it at best buy @ cost.. but I think they shut down the webpage :(

anyhow I will have to wait a while to get it.. so for now , my main rig is down.
 
Top