Sooo, Who's Excited for Star Trek Online?

NeoMatriX724

Limp Gawd
Mostly curious myself. I've been waiting for a solid Star Trek IP game for a while =). Hopefully we're in for a treat!

Notably interested in what features are most appealing, which ones arent. Anyone planning to check it out, etc.

Go forth! Discuss!:cool:

I got a beta invite with my champions online subscription, so i'm definately checking it out :D

I'll play, if they have Ferengi as playable race :) Living by Rules of Acquisition FTW :)

Looks like more of the same in terms of how MMOs have been lately but I'll probably try it for a few days. Can't be any worse than Aion was for me. Talk about boring... :eek:

I've been in the beta, it's been pretty awesome so far...Definitely needs some work, but Cryptics been pretty good about listening to our feedback.

I've heard a few things about the game. If it isn't breaking an NDA, could you answer some questions?

1. I've read that basically a "guild" can eventually crew a starship, true or not?
2. Is there any solo gameplay?
3. What kind of things are there to do?
4. Crafting, yes or no?

Color me interested, but i'd need to have a whole lot more info before i bit. Been burned too many times in the past by MMO's.

For me it's going to depend on whether or not they have a free 7 or 14day trial(or however many days). Eve's combat system is so sublime, I'm really not sure I can play a space game that doesn't do it at least similarly. The only thing Eve really got wrong were the distances(they should be a hell of a lot larger).

The trailers have been a disappointment, I hope the game turns out better because its been a long since a decent star trek game.

Regrettably I can't really answer many questions.

for 2 and 3, I can say "most definitely yes" and "plenty", I know that really doesn't help, but the NDA lifts on January 12th, so not much longer to wait =).

The trailers have been a disappointment, I hope the game turns out better because its been a long since a decent star trek game.

I too wish the trailers were better. I've had a lot of fun wit hit so far. Trailer's don't quite do it justice.

I'm not sure what I can say here because of the NDA, but in truth, don't worry. Lots of the things you guys want to see are coming true, or already are implemented. You CAN reconfublar the shield away and invert impulse power to the jefferies tubes to reverse the polarity of the phasers if you want.

I'm somewhat worried about the lack of chatter for the klingon faction. Hopefully it's as fully fleshed out as the federation side, not that I have anything against the federation :D

This whole "because of NDA" talk is bullshit btw, because if you were to actually read the NDA you would know that you aren't even allowed to mention on a public forum that you are under the NDA.

Having said that, the game looks meh at best. It will go the way most other recent MMOs have gone:
1. Excitement pre-launch.
2. First week: OMG this is so cool.
3. Second week: Well, there are some issues.
4. Third week: I wish they would have done [insert feature here] differently.
5. Fourth week: Anyone still play this?
6. Fifth week: Ah screw it, I am going back to [insert long standing successful MMO here].

This whole "because of NDA" talk is bullshit btw, because if you were to actually read the NDA you would know that you aren't even allowed to mention on a public forum that you are under the NDA.

Having said that, the game looks meh at best. It will go the way most other recent MMOs have gone:
6. Fifth week: Ah screw it, I am going back to [insert long standing successful MMO here].

I don't expect this game to be any different. It'll build up a loyal fanbase sure but for comparisons sake, how many Aion threads do we see lately? Boy did I fall for the MMO hype train this year. Age of Conan, Champions Online, Warhammer Online and Aion. Waste of $200 +. :(

I still do subscribe to Fallen Earth although I haven't logged in for quite a while.

Actually, the NDA does not specify that you cannot mention the NDA. We are barred from discussing confidential and notably specific information about game mechanics, specific content, etc. General statements like "the game is coming along well" "Devs are listening to feedback" "some aspects need work" are fair game. So while people have heard or seen interviews, I can technically say that some stuff mentioned was not accurate, but I would not be allowed to say what was inaccurate or why...which defeats the purpose of responding.

How well does the game play on lower end hardware? I'm mainly curious if I'll be able to play it on my laptop (Atom N330 dual core, 4gb ram, ION chipset)

disclaimer im not playing star trek online beta.........however i seriously doubt an atom pc will play any mmo very well. especially if its one server "sand box" and 100k plus users on or more.

The correct equation is WoW - Azeroth + Space + Spaceships + Other Things = STO.

Not every MMO is a derivative of WoW...

I thought WoW - Azeroth + Space + Spaceships + Other Things = The Burning Crusade. :p

I was excited about STO until I played Champions Online, hated it, and realized STO is made by Cryptic also. Now I'm skeptical at best.

I think I'm going to be disappointed by the race choices. The only saving grace is that you can make your own. If they are sticking anywhere close to canon, there would be few Bajorans and even less Ferengi in Starfleet. They might as well make Klingon's a playable Fed race. I wonder if there will be some telepaths running around (excluding Vulcans).

I'll admit that even though I'm a fan of the series, I haven't been keeping up with this title. It could either be really good, or really bad.

Im not sure about this game. Star Trek for me means big battles but not based around class. Yes there are support ships but they dont boost damage, or heal nearby ships. They have a massive diversity of ships and races, as seen in Starfleet command tabletop and Videogame. And yet just choosing a Dozen or so ships seems a bit rubbish. I wanted to go from the smallest ship up and have a choice of lots of different variations. Ill still give it a go, just not expecting a lot really.

I can only imagine the overwhelmingly complex gameplay dynamics that this race would create.

You should! If memory serves me right the Tribbles just multiplied. Can you imagine what that would cause in game? 1 Tribble becomes 2, 2 becomes 4, etc...exponentially.

Well, I just downloaded a leaked beta video for Star Trek Online and umm... I'm honestly not surprised at all by it. The ground combat looks pretty bad and it truly does look like "more of the same". The space ship battles actually look decent but they seemed to lack any sense of excitement. Granted, this is beta footage but I'm not impressed at all.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/61662

Star Trek Online's Klingon faction content will be almost exclusively PvP-based when the PC MMORPG launches on February 2, Cryptic has revealed--unlike their Federation foes.

Klingons "must advance through PvP, as they will not have access to robust player-vs.-environment content at launch," a press release states while reassuring that "PvP... is something we designed from the ground up to be a viable advancement path."

"We are trying to get some PvE in (there's already a tad bit). And, if the players demand it, we'll add more content (like episodes)," said chief creative officer Jack Emmert in a forum post. "I want us to be agile as a company and respond to what the customers want."

Players are unable to create Klingon characters off the bat, instead they must first "unlock the first sector block of Federation content, about five hours into the game" to receive a Klingon of rank roughly equivalent to the Federation character who unlocked the option.

Star Trek Online boasts a variety of PvP modes, with duel 'Challenges,' team vs. team 'Arenas,' objective-based 'Scenarios' and open PvP 'War Zones.' New and more advanced ships will become available to Klingons as they rank up.

In unrelated recent news, Cryptic Studios also announced that Zachary Quinto--Spock in the latest Star Trek movie--will voice an Emergency Medical Hologram serving as the MMO's tutorial. Have a gander at the EMH and Quinto in action in this new trailer.

Thats kind of annoying really

While I am excited for this game my lack of time to play it will make it low on the totem pole so to speak..
If the Borg and Species 8472 are end game content that will be a disappointment.

I am very curious to see how they will make this game fun, especially to limited time to game, gamer.

I mean to make a MMORPG focus on just space exploration/combat would be huge but this will also focus on ground base exploration/combat, how?
I just having a hard time realizing how Star Trek will be fun as a MMORPG,
StarWars failed HARD, what makes this any better? Plus what happens if you absolutely love space aspect but hate the ground aspect, what then? Can you level and only do one thing or are you forced to do both?

Haha....You stole my fire on that one Thuleman. Was just about to mention something along those lines, but, since you already have...I think I'll go log into a game thats been around for nearly 7 years :)

Back