Sony Yet to Fully Secure its Networks

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
According to security expert John Bumgarner of the U.S. Cyber Consequences Unit, in the three weeks since the initial attack on Sony’s network, he still found numerous unpatched vulnerabilities. Sony failed to reply directly to the report, but had patched several of the flaws after being notified.

He found no evidence of breaches beyond the two Sony has disclosed. But he said he was able to find gateways to internal systems and locate data that would be useful to hackers by using simple techniques that he shared with Reuters.

Seriously. There is absolutely no excuse for having such a loose system these days.

I hope to high fuck and back this drives sony out of the console market

THE RETURN OF SEGA

Wow, I wont ever buy a sony product. this is just sad, its bad when its been over a month and still they have not fixed this. its just sad, they need to fire the ceo and the whole staff at sony. there is no excuse for this. none at all.

This will give sony a bad rep for a long time to come. but its there own fault nobody else's

Not happening, Sony will come out with PS4 and millions will buy it.

Actually I wouldn't doubt that they would come out with the PS3 Slim Secure Edition and charge an additional monthly fee to make sure all of your data is extra safe.

If they put half the effort into securing their networks as they do in locking customers out of their own products, they'd have the most secure network on the planet.

Regardless of this I'll happily buy a PS4 and i'm keeping my launch 60GB PS3 to. Not a game in the world or system id switch to, i'll stick with PlayStation tyvm. XBOX dies to much, has no games appealing to me that I would switch for.

M$ isn't invulnerable either so what's the point in being all against the hacking at Sony when M$'s own Internet top echelon got hacked to and they've been hacked quite a few to not just once.

Regardless of this I'll happily buy a PS4 and i'm keeping my launch 60GB PS3 to. Not a game in the world or system id switch to, i'll stick with PlayStation tyvm. XBOX dies to much, has no games appealing to me that I would switch for.

M$ isn't invulnerable either so what's the point in being all against the hacking at Sony when M$'s own Internet top echelon got hacked to and they've been hacked quite a few to not just once.

lol. I own a PS3, but seriously, don't be ignorant.

Never bought a PS3, don't plan on buying one, and won't buy any future Sony products. I'm tired of their shit.

Never bought a PS3, don't plan on buying one, and won't buy any future Sony products. I'm tired of their shit.

The removal of the OtherOS feature was basically criminal - people paid for that, how the hell can you take it away. I still can't get over that, and now this on top of it all. Karma :D

I hope to high fuck and back this drives sony out of the console market

THE RETURN OF SEGA

I don't think you want that... Imagine if sony went out of buisness, or out of the console market. Youd get the next xbox, but no way would they sell it for a loss. But with the only competition coming from the wii whatever, which is equal to current gen consoles youd be stuck with graphics like these in console games for the next 15 years. As we all know console graphics directly relates to PC graphics. Competition is a fundemental needed for any industry.
Its like the people who want AMD/nvidia to dissapear. It would just stall progress and raise prices (which is why AMDs less than favorable profit reports kind of worry me).

The removal of the OtherOS feature was basically criminal - people paid for that, how the hell can you take it away. I still can't get over that, and now this on top of it all. Karma :D

I still dont get why people are going on and on about an almost completely useless feature that was not worth bothering with, seriously.

Microsoft removed the ability to embed webdvd.dll from powerpoint because of security concerns! Fuck they are evil! I paid money to insert that DLL in mypowerpoints! Fucking criminals I hope horses kick their faces off and they go out of buisness and die in the street! They deserve to have the digital stream service broken into and everyone thats downloaded windows have their credit card info stolen and used to buy more horses to kick them in the face. :mad::p

I still dont get why people are going on and on about an almost completely useless feature that was not worth bothering with, seriously.

Microsoft removed the ability to embed webdvd.dll from powerpoint because of security concerns! Fuck they are evil! I paid money to insert that DLL in mypowerpoints! Fucking criminals I hope horses kick their faces off and they go out of buisness and die in the street! They deserve to have the digital stream service broken into and everyone thats downloaded windows have their credit card info stolen and used to buy more horses to kick them in the face. :mad::p

OtherOS was advertised as a selling point for the PS3. This nonsense you are bringing up was not. Apples meet oranges.

OtherOS was advertised as a selling point for the PS3. This nonsense you are bringing up was not. Apples meet oranges.

Are you saying it was a feature noone cared about, didn't really use and was next to useless? :p

I don't think you want that... Imagine if sony went out of buisness, or out of the console market. Youd get the next xbox, but no way would they sell it for a loss. But with the only competition coming from the wii whatever, which is equal to current gen consoles youd be stuck with graphics like these in console games for the next 15 years. As we all know console graphics directly relates to PC graphics. Competition is a fundemental needed for any industry.
Its like the people who want AMD/nvidia to dissapear. It would just stall progress and raise prices (which is why AMDs less than favorable profit reports kind of worry me).

Hence

"THE RETURN OF SEGA"

Read people, read

Are you saying it was a feature noone cared about, didn't really use and was next to useless? :p

Actually quite a few people including researchers in major universities used PS3s in clusters, which they for all practical purposes disabled when they released 3.21. Now, it didn't "void" clusters, it just made it so they couldn't be further upgraded.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_cluster

Actually quite a few people including researchers in major universities used PS3s in clusters, which they for all practical purposes disabled when they released 3.21. Now, it didn't "void" clusters, it just made it so they couldn't be further upgraded.

The feature they "missed out" on was PSN (meaningless, given the application of the systems) and whatever extra service that might require it.

The feature they "missed out" on was PSN (meaningless, given the application of the systems) and whatever extra service that might require it.

True, however the fact that is it created a dead-end system. Plus for plenty of folders would have used PSN on their PS3s :D

True, however the fact that is it created a dead-end system. Plus for plenty of folders would have used PSN on their PS3s :D

Wow...one Cuba Libre and I sound like a friggin' retard :D

"True, however the fact is, it created a dead-end system. Plus plenty of folders would have used PSN on their PS3s :D" is what it should have said.

Hence

"THE RETURN OF SEGA"

Read people, read

Links to last sucessful majorly SEGA console. Oh wait it was in the last millenium. :p
If there is no sony the bets would be on nintendo making something without stupid peripherals or the phantom console...or maybe 3do...

The junky other OS still works with all old PS3s with otherOS, as long as you don't upgrade the firmware. None of the updates of the console have effected performance, and only a few firmwares have bug fixes (the last minor bug fix being 3.15, with the last one before being 2.41) it's just mostly feature adding stuff like the 3d or upgrading blu ray firmware, netflicks etc. So the updates are probably not something they have bothered with anyway TBH. I still don't get why they bought a load of PS3s rather than a few teslas...:confused:

The folding@home still works, but is probably a bad use of power for the points compared to running a proper client (a single work unit takes about 5/6 hours from what I remember @ 200w). But is probably the simplest way of running the client.

Links to last sucessful majorly SEGA console. Oh wait it was in the last millenium. :p
If there is no sony the bets would be on nintendo making something without stupid peripherals or the phantom console...or maybe 3do...

The dreamcast was the best console ever made

The dreamcast 2 would shit all over EVERYTHING

It was also one of the first consoles to allow for online play.. and guess what.. no outage!

The dreamcast was the best console ever made

The dreamcast 2 would shit all over EVERYTHING

It was also one of the first consoles to allow for online play.. and guess what.. no outage!

They helped screw up 3dfx and most the servers have been offline since 2002 apart from those manned by some crazy fan. But anyway, if the dreamcast was so amazing, why was it discontinued a short while after it was released :p Even with its modem based online play features it waswas the first to dissapear and sold less than its closest competitor, which offered more popular features such as DVD playback. Being in debt and probably losing money, they stopped the console buisness and switched to stuff that would make them money (arcades/software).
The "dreamcast 2" rumours say it will have motion controls...:p

THEY DID NOT REMOVE IT, YOU HAD TO INSTALL THE PATCH WHICH HAD A WARNING ABOUT IT. If PSN means so fucking much to you go buy another PS3 and have that one connected.:rolleyes:

THEY DID NOT REMOVE IT, YOU HAD TO INSTALL THE PATCH WHICH HAD A WARNING ABOUT IT. If PSN means so fucking much to you go buy another PS3 and have that one connected.:rolleyes:

Then why are you so mad about Sony removing a feature (PSN being down), if network play means so fucking much to you, just go buy a Xbox 360.

Then why are you so mad about Sony removing a feature (PSN being down), if network play means so fucking much to you, just go buy a Xbox 360.

What? Seriously? I am mad about PSN being down?:confused: Do you even understand what you said?

I think Sony needs to create a security division. They clearly had none so far.

Forgot to mention,to back you up, last sentence in the article.
"Sony also said it had appointed an acting chief information officer to oversee security on its networks." What a joke of a company. After this anyone who gives sony their info is just plain nuts.

Just seen an article that they are going to start turning everything back on slowly here shortly. one article said a few hours, another said sunday. but i don't know what timezome they are refering to so it could be both. maybe sometime just after midnight sunday morning here.

You had to install the patch in order for your gaming to be as functional as it was when you bought it. If you did not, you lost multiplayer and game patches. How thick skulled can you be? I'm going to assume that argument is purely a troll and not worth another second of rebuttal.

I rarely use my PS3 as it is, the fact that I have to spend 30 minutes installing a new firmware update every damn time I want to play a game is ridiculous. Why people would ever argue for Sony is beyond me - obviously just trying to act like a hardass.

Link to said advertisement(s)?

Put this into google and look it up yourself.
"SCE network system development manager Izumi Kawanishi, the console will ship with a built-in Linux OS, complete with compilers and other tools."

Back