Sony Xperia 1 II

I've been eyeing this one for a while. At $1200, it ain't cheap, but the specs are pretty impressive. However, its screen is only 60hz. For that price, it should have at least 90hz, if not 120hz. I've never owned a Sony smart phone and doubt this will be my first.

https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_1_ii-review-2115.php

I wouldn't stress too much over the screen refresh rate myself, it'll still be pretty responsive given Sony's light-touch approach to customizing Android! Really, this seems more like a return to form for a company that's been lost for a while.

Specs have always been impressive on Sony flagship phones. But if you value VoLTE, it will probably be like its predecessors and not have VoLTE. I don't know why Sony and ASUS cannot play ball with North American carriers to have a working VoLTE on their flagships. Motorola/Lenova, OnePlus, Pixel, and Samsung for example have a VoLTE agreement with the carriers, yet Sony for whatever reason has not negotiated it.

Last edited:
Sony hardware has always looked nice to me but they are also always let down by (1) bad camera software resulting in poor image quality (2) not getting enough software updates

Since the XZ1 series isn't even going to get Android 10, they're out of my running for any consideration.

Specs have always been impressive on Sony flagship phones. But if you value VoLTE, it will probably be like its predecessors and not have VoLTE. I don't know why Sony and ASUS cannot play ball with North American carriers to have a working VoLTE on their flagships. Motorola/Lenova, OnePlus, Pixel, and Samsung for example have a VoLTE agreement with the carriers, yet Sony for whatever reason has not negotiated it.
You can get VoLTE working with a little bit of work (same with the finger print reader). I have it enabled on my XZ1 compact.

I wouldn't stress too much over the screen refresh rate myself, it'll still be pretty responsive given Sony's light-touch approach to customizing Android! Really, this seems more like a return to form for a company that's been lost for a while.
I was very encouraged to see Sony uses stock Android. As far as I know, the only other phone that offers stock Android is the Nexus/Pixel line. That's the main reason I've stuck with them since 2015. I ran the idea of work buying me this Xperia instead of an Phone 12 Pro, but doubt they'll budge.

Back