Sony X900F 49" 4K TV as display

After a lot of usage over the weekend I did encounter a slight glitch. Every so often the screen will randomly do a HDMI handshake. The screen doesn't blink but the resolution information pops up like it does when you would change resolution.

This seems to only really happen when in 4K. I've tried swapping out the HDMI cable (HDMI 2.0), but it didn't make any difference. Will have to investigate further to work out what might be causing it.
I haven't noticed this yet but I don't have a lot of time behind the screen so far, I do love it though. What have you done calibration-wise? I haven't done anything other than turn off the auto-dimming and setting it to game mode. I'm using HDMI input 2 and downloaded a 4:4:4 chroma image and everything is readable. Running it at 3840x2160 @ 60hz.

I haven't noticed this yet but I don't have a lot of time behind the screen so far, I do love it though. What have you done calibration-wise? I haven't done anything other than turn off the auto-dimming and setting it to game mode. I'm using HDMI input 2 and downloaded a 4:4:4 chroma image and everything is readable. Running it at 3840x2160 @ 60hz.

The issue hasn't come back since turning off the info banner thankfully.

I haven't done any significant colour calibration as I don't have the correct tools for this. I'm impressed with the pre-calibrated colour settings of this TV. To my eye, the factory calibration feels very natural. Here's the default settings I use for general desktop usage (notes on other settings for certain usage)

External inputs > HDMI signal format > Enhanced

Game mode:
  • Brightness > 20
  • Contrast > Max
  • Gamma > 0
  • Black level > 50
  • Black adjust > Off (Turning on can be useful for some media playback / games)
  • Adv. contrast enhancer > Off (Turning on can be useful for some media playback / games)
  • Auto local dimming > Off (Medium for video media. Can be used for games too but blooming may be an issue)
  • X-tended Dynamic Range > High
  • Colour > 65
  • Hue > 0
  • Colour temperature > Expert 1 (default)
  • Adv. colour temperature > Default
  • Live Colour > Off
  • Sharpness > 50
  • Reality Creation > Off
  • Smooth gradation > High (love this feature)
  • Motionflow > Off
  • HDR mode > Auto
  • HDMI video range > Full
  • Colour space > Auto
For me, these settings are the sweet spot I've found for majority of uses, but occasionally might tweak some settings depending on media.

nVidia colour settings:

HDR 10/12bit media playback
  • Desktop color depth > 32bit
  • Output color depth > 12 bpc
  • Output color format > YCbCr422
  • Output dynamic range > Limited
Desktop usage
  • Desktop color depth > 32bit
  • Output color depth > 8 bpc
  • Output color format > YCbCr444
  • Output dynamic range > Limited

Yeah, I'm in love, I wish I had done this a while ago. Ripped through some Doom earlier and was blown away I'll try to get some pics of the setup later. Thanks again to all for the input!

Yeah, I'm in love, I wish I had done this a while ago. Ripped through some Doom earlier and was blown away I'll try to get some pics of the setup later. Thanks again to all for the input!

Nice! Glad to hear there was no trouble after the delivery incident :D I've made a few tweaks to the settings since that last post and am enjoying the color reproduction and black levels a lot more.
  • Gamma > -2
  • Black level > 35
  • Colour > 60
  • Colour temperature > Neutral (default)
Also I've noticed depending on the content you're viewing, the "smooth gradation" feature can result in some detail loss (mostly on videos with poor compression).

Welcome to the X900F / X9000F club :)

Forgot to come back and upload a pic, here's the setup, still in love. I don't know if I have any pics but I had a 26" center screen with (2) 21"rs, one on either side. It's so nice to have one display and just switch inputs if I want to go to another computer.

IMG_2974.JPG

I had to return mine. The blooming was too much when watching even a few degrees off-angle. The black levels shoot to the moon when even a little off angle. The local dimming settings (high, medium, low) have almost no difference since Sony is obsessed with maintaining bright highlights at all costs. I tried playing Stalker Clear sky and the UI induced blooming in the dark was too much distraction. The European versions of Sony TVs (XF9005) and other TV manufacturers are inferior with less FALD zones and contrast ratios than American TVs. Anyway my budget 40uh630v with horizontal dimming has much better blacks. Honestly horizontal dimming feels better than FALD with 25?? dimming zones.

I've heard it mentioned elsewhere that there is an option in the Sony service/professional menu that will allow the screen to both sleep and wake in the same fashion as a PC-specific monitor. However, I've looked and have been unable to locate the option with the 49" X900F.

FYI, you can enter this menu by first turning the TV off, and then sequentially entering the following on the remote: Display, 5, Volume Up, followed by turning the power back on.

Is this sort of option not available for the X900F or am I just not seeing it? Likewise, there doesn't seem to be a way to label an input as 'PC'. I've been using 'Game' since it feels like the input lag is a bit better.

Have to say, I'm very pleased with the flexibility of having both 4k/60 and 1080p/120 Hz for different types of games and content on one screen. This is replacing a 35" inch 120 Hz Ultrawide and a 27" 4K 60 Hz screen (mainly for PS4 Pro) and I was a bit concerned about the size, but it's not that bad from 3 feet away

I guess people using tvs as monitors don't care about having no sleep support or in 40"+ size no PBP support. Until tvs support those options, they are useless as monitors to me.

My Samsung TV turns off by itself after my computer sleeps. However, it takes a while, so I usually just turn it off manually.

My Samsung TV turns off by itself after my computer sleeps. However, it takes a while, so I usually just turn it off manually.
My Sony shuts down on it's own as well, after 15 min I think. The only "issues" I have is that I have to manually turn it back on.

This TV as a monitor + console gaming mixed use is amazing.
This really is the closest to my ideal large "monitor" available at this time - the nearest to a 43" size for a 4k display that still has really good local dimming (FALD), true HDR (and even dolby vision), 120hz support for sub 4K resolutions, proper pixel structure and support for RGB or 4:4:4 4K @ 60hz, working BFI that does not add lag, very low input lag at 120hz and decently low lag at 4k60. Things I like:
  • Proper monitor-like razor sharp text @60hz, with RGB or 4:4:4 modes that just work. Just slightly higher DPI than 4 x 24" 1920x1080p monitors, so it works at 100% scaling (i.e. looks almost exactly like a 24" 1920x1200 monitor, just 4 of them edge to edge with no bezels)
  • Contrast, black levels, viewing angles are great, with or without local dimming
  • 120hz gaming is fantastic on it - low input lag, no strangeness, no frame skipping, etc.
  • Response time is very good for a VA, particularly with BFI, motion looks great
  • When using it with consoles or streaming services, HDR is fantastic. Haven't had a chance to try PC HDR (I hear that's trickier)
  • Dolby Vision!
  • Color calibration is really good with the right modes and settings, plus it supports a full 10 point CMS adjustment
  • 2816x1584@120hz is really similar performance-wise to my other G-sync. I'm running locked at 120hz in most games with my 1080. I assume RTX cards and recent titans and the 1080ti would be even better
  • For games where 120hz doesnt work or matter, 4k60 is good too
  • Great price right now in the US and value for such a high quality display, IMHO. Makes a lot more sense than the $1800 27" 4K 144hz monitors at this time, for me
Downsides:
  • Just the tiniest bit larger than my ideal for large monitor use, but it works in my setup (~3.5 feet away). If I could get the exact same display in 43" I'd probably pick that, and move it 6" closer
  • 120hz modes are slightly more blurry than the same resolutions at 60hz. E.g. 1920x1080p at 60hz looks very sharp, 1080p120 is slightly less sharp, but in games it looks perfect. Only noticeable with text so I keep the desktop at 60hz for browsing, programming
  • No 4k@120 or 144. I will eventually replace my 27" Gsync 144hz with a new 27" or 32" 4k monitor eventually, but will keep this for the 2nd display
  • More expensive than the Vizio P series and TCL, but they don't have all the goods in this size (or at any size) yet. The 49" Vizio in particlar has a messed up pixel structure for text
For fun, I even ran some GPU-scaled "very wide screen" modes (2.35:1) that ran inside a higher resolution. Fun to check out to see if you could live with a ultra wide screen without actually committing to it- I can go back to 16:9 when I want to.

Back