Sony X720E/X800E -- Calibration Settings -- Issues with Blurry Text/dots flicker ?

vincentsixtysix

Weaksauce
Hi
I have connected this TV as a PC monitor to my EVGA 980ti @ 4 K and 60 htz , This card should be powerful enough since i connected to several other monitors and worked fine. I am using a new HDMI wire.

I followed the instructions and set the picture mode to "GRAPHIC".

UPdated the NVIDIA graphics card drivers, I ran the windows Clear Text Settings. display resolution set as well.

However, The Text appears Slightly blurry, as if its slightly ltheres a double vision-ed effect going on and sometimes appears with a blueish tint to it. I left everything to the default settings for this picture mode. I am assuming there are probably some settings needed in the input ? I updated the SONY software in the TV as well.

Reality Creation : OFF
Sharpness: 30 %
Color Mode: Expert 1
Color : 40 %
Color Type: Adobe RGB
HUE: 50%
Constrast: 90%
Brightness: 40%
Gamma: 0 ( should be Min ? )
Input: HDMI ( TYPE : AUTO MODE)
Motion : Manual
Input Speed: Auto
Live Color: OFF
Graphic Picture Mode
All other settings are set to "OFF" ( e.g. black levels, auto contrast..)

And the other issue is that i see this "noise" occasionally meaning i see white dots flickering here and there , not huge but noticeable on a non black background image. Or around the edges of program windows , i see white dots flickering.

I mean I guess I could check to to see if I could get a better quality HDMI wire or connect to a different port or I could goto the store and replace the monitor... but not sure if its a hardware or software isssue or my card driver is not output correctly?

Any help appreciated, I really would like to use this as a monitor since its IPS + PWM free + has excellent reviews . And I mainly use this for office work like text, excel, web pages. Apprecate your advice !

Thanks !

Last edited:
I just got the X720 this week as well. No problems with any noise or other issues.

Did you go into settings and make sure you changed the HDMI settings to enhanced, and are using either HDMI 2 or 3?

Home -> Settings -> Preferences -> Setup -> AV settings -> HDMI Signal Settings -> Set HDMI 2 and 3 to "enhanced"

That enables 4:4:4 settings. Otherwise I would think it might be your cable, or a bad TV.

I think that it was it !

thanks , that , apparently HDMI port 1, was getting some interference not sure why. ended up buying a high quality fusion HDMI wire and then switching to the connectors on teh side of the TV and that seemed to reduce the static noise not sure if it was bc it was too close to my computer or something .

Once I switched to to HDMI 2 aka the change above, and reset the settings back to factory, its actually usable now !

I noticed the VESA mounts holes in the back was thinking of sticking against the wall , which is a nice feature of this TV.

I think the x800 has the triluminous display vs the x720, which i think makes things a bit more colorful but . again thanks !!

Last edited:
Btw,

Did you make any changes the "default" settings of Graphic Mode besides the settings change above ?

and

i am assuming you need to use a specific HDMI 2.0 wire only

Last edited:
Btw,

Did you make any changes the "default" settings of Graphic Mode besides the settings change above ?

and

i am assuming you need to use a specific HDMI 2.0 wire only

I'm actually using the Gaming Scene Mode, not graphics. I adjusted brightness and contrast, but haven't really payed around with a lot of the other settings yet.

And I'm actually using the generic HDMI cable that came with the LG 43UD monitor that I was trying as well. I have to order my own HDMI cable before I can return the LG.

the more i keep using this monitor, the text still appear double visioned, although the blurry ness is less gone and its sharper now.

I am guess it could be the "wire" , i ordered the highest quality wire , which is the fusion 4k i could find and a displayport to hdmi wire as well.

---

I can't possibly be the only person experience this issue as there are so many of you using this tv as a monitor ?

and you are not seeing this weirdness with the text ? or uniformity or color , or double vision effect / color lacking uniformity of the text?

----

kinda disappointed in Sony Quality recently

Last edited:
take a clear pic with your cell phone close up and post it.

you should turn your sharpness down as low as it will go when using as pc. Sharpness will fuck with text.
Some TVs require 0 sharpness, some 50 sharpness. There may be an optimal sharpness for sony with pc usage.

also make sure your cleartype is set correctly.

According to Rtings, the subpixels are upside down in BGR order.

Look at this picture....Line 3 is rgb, line 4 is bgr. Which line is clearer ?

h2z2n6c.png

subpixel BGR looks better to me. ...

here are the pictures attached, as you see in the first pic its blue, purple, black, and then the sizes of the texts are different as well..
one is close up , one is farther way .

Any help appreciated, Guy thanks !

I am going to try different wires tomorrow if not then i will just have to return it.
Screenshot_20171211-233400.png
Screenshot_20171211-233400.png

Update

So i replaced my cable with the
Monster Black Platinum HDMI Cable & Fusion 4k hdmi 2.0 wires - both cost like 50$

, and i noticed a slight improvement 4-10 % with the Fusion4K wire but I see mutli colored text lol.

I wish there was some software that tells you if you are actually in 4;4;4, or NVIDIA software to test if your card is pumping out correcting ?

is there a minimum brightness that you need to keep on these monitors ?

at this point i am starting to think i just got a bad panel , i tried all the other HDMI ports and the same effect happens. and this is after i ran the clear text....

KDawg, How do I set the BRG settings in windows ?

my brightness is 5
my sharpness is 25

------------

and now i did

did it again with brightness = 0 ,sharpness = 0 and color = 25
i went into the nvidia control panel = set the scaling to happen on the GPU not DISPLAY and set the hertz to 60

------------

Bad Sony Bad

Last edited:
I don't think the panel is bad.

What happens when you set sharpness to 0 ?

In Windows 10, you search Clear Type in the settings, and it will let you adjust text so that they look sharp. Clear Type is what allows Windows to run clean on BGR panels.

https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+clear+type

I'm looking at your picture, and is the black text showing in 3 different colors?

Post your close up pics of this running at 100% scale.

UTWkRnL.png

20171212_210953.jpg
20171212_210957.jpg
the last two lines and first lines seem pretty unreadable,

this is taken with a samsung s8 plus . Brightness = 8, Gamma = min , constrast = Max , and sharpness = 50

yes 3 colors. when i set the sharpness to 3 , all the texts turns very thin -> at 50 % it looks normal

when you take a close up pic, just take a partial picture, like this.

oeUinau.jpg

The red and blue lines should be sharp and pixel perfect.

Judging by your pics, it doesn't look like you're in chroma 4:4:4 mode. You must have missed a setting.

You'll need to look in the tv settings menu for hdmi 2.0, pc mode, etc etc. Every TV I've played with needs the hdmi port to be "renamed" to PC to do 4k 60hz 444. Otherwise text looks fucked up.

I don't think it's your cable.

Also, set your pc to 4k 30hz to see if you can get chroma 444 with sharp text.

Ok , I changed the settings in the nvidia panel mostly

I went to into the Nvidia Panel and "adjusted Resolution " it was set to 60 htz --> i set it to 30 Htz.

Then there is a color settings right under that i set that to use Nvidia color settings and set that to YrCr4444.

other settings were already done HDMI enhanced Format & the HDMI 2.0 cables were upgraded yesterday.

I renamed the HDMI4 to PC anyway but not sure it did anything..

So i am officially ableto see clear text whoo woo :) :) , the last two lines look alot sharper than the first image
20171213_075240.jpg

I can even make the web page very small and I can still that image clearly without it getting blurrly lol.

.thanks for your help Kdawg !

Question: Why do we set it to 30 Hertz when the Tv can take 60 Hertz 4:4:4 ?

Last edited:
It looks like your TV can display text correctly, but you're not done yet.

I told you to set 30hz only to test chroma 444.
Now you need to get back to 4k 60hz 444.

Change YrCr4444 back to RGB. and stop messing with the nvidia control panel.
The only settings you need in nvidia control panel are refresh 60hz, RGB color format, and full output dynamic range.
Don't touch anything else.

Now you need to use your Sony remote control and go through the TV built-in settings.

Accoring to Rtings, these are the settings to get proper 4k 60 444....

The TV supports most common resolutions. 4k @ 60 Hz @ 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 color is only supported on HDMI inputs 2 and 3, and only when 'HDMI Signal Format' is set to 'Enhanced'. 4:4:4 color is only displayed properly in the 'Game' and 'Graphics' modes in 'Scene Select'. 'Graphics' mode is recommended for PC monitor use as the TV's CE dimming is completely disabled. HDR content is only displayed properly in the 'HDR' 'Scene Select', which unfortunately does not display 4:4:4 color properly.

I followed the settings from the rtings, so the tv is set to HDMI signal Enhanced format. however, i only see the sharp text when I set that refresh rate to 30 in the Nvidia panel. see the attached image with the black arrow. Otherwise, I get the blurry image if i set it back to 60 hertz. So, is the issue with the card then, does these settings look correct to you ?

1234.png
4567.png

set 60hz, and
put the bullet at #3 Use nvidia color settings.

did you use hdmi port 2 or 3 and follow all of the Rtings instructions? scene select graphics mode on the tv ?

if you followed Rtings instructions EXACTLY, and you still get garbled text on that 'quick brown fox' image above, then maybe and very unlikely, the TV doesn't like your graphics card, and it's defaulting to chroma 422 at 60hz.

what length is your hdmi cable ?

I had an issue with samsung 4k tvs which didn't like my laptop gtx1060 hdmi-out. It would provide a stable image at 4k 60hz 444 on other 4k TVs, but the samsung would always flicker unless I lowered to 30hz. I then used a usb-c hdmi 2.0 dongle, with the same hdmi cable, and it provided a flicker-free image.

My X720E is setup using HDMI2 on enhanced. Game Scene, settings are:

Brightness 30
Contrast 70
Black Level 50
Color 55
Hue 0
Color Temp: Neutral
Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Manual
Resolution: Min

Running @ 60Hz, with everything crystal clear and sharp. Never played with any Nvidia settings. Did run cleartype, but everything looks fine, even the 4:4:4 color test pic above.

My X720E is setup using HDMI2 on enhanced. Game Scene, settings are:

Brightness 30
Contrast 70
Black Level 50
Color 55
Hue 0
Color Temp: Neutral
Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Manual
Resolution: Min

Running @ 60Hz, with everything crystal clear and sharp. Never played with any Nvidia settings. Did run cleartype, but everything looks fine, even the 4:4:4 color test pic above.

What graphics card and wire/length are you running ?

set 60hz, and
put the bullet at #3 Use nvidia color settings.

did you use hdmi port 2 or 3 and follow all of the Rtings instructions? scene select graphics mode on the tv ?

if you followed Rtings instructions EXACTLY, and you still get garbled text on that 'quick brown fox' image above, then maybe and very unlikely, the TV doesn't like your graphics card, and it's defaulting to chroma 422 at 60hz.

what length is your hdmi cable ?

I had an issue with samsung 4k tvs which didn't like my laptop gtx1060 hdmi-out. It would provide a stable image at 4k 60hz 444 on other 4k TVs, but the samsung would always flicker unless I lowered to 30hz. I then used a usb-c hdmi 2.0 dongle, with the same hdmi cable, and it provided a flicker-free image.

I attempted to use Ports 2 & 3 ,but the computer would start loading and right after the "gigabyte" screen appears it goes blank. I did set the Enhanced Mode from Ratings.com link.

Only port 4 works to get the full signal. I set the control panel settings back to : Nvidia color settings to RGB & Full Dynamic Range, but every time i set the refresh rate to 60 hz....., the picture above goes blurry.

When i set it to 30, the picture comes into focus.

I am running a GTX 980 which should be hdmi 2.0 compliant

the wire i am using is 6 FT and says HDMI 2.0 complaint....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NQ9OQU2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but I also bought two other ones one 5 FT and one 3 FT to see if that does anthing:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KJ0M26A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So i m basically shit out of luck at this point ....

So, since I am able to view the image above when i put the refresh rate at 30, this means that I am in 4:4:4 chroma However, I wouldn't really be able to play the 60 fps games and do fast moving things on my screen, which I guess I will have to live with for now.
I am pretty Sure at this point, now either this Monitor or graphics card or wire is a Dud so I am now leaning towards just returning TV and getting an x720e / x 900e since the ports 2, 3 only partially see the hdmi signal from the computer.

After digging some more..... Its starting to Appear ( since 980 is a good card )

That X800E Does not SUpport 4:4:4 @ 60hz 4K.

Only the X720E does or the x800e firmware is messed up.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I attempted to use Ports 2 & 3 ,but the computer would start loading and right after the "gigabyte" screen appears it goes blank. I did set the Enhanced Mode from Ratings.com link.

Only port 4 works to get the full signal. I set the control panel settings back to : Nvidia color settings to RGB & Full Dynamic Range, but every time i set the refresh rate to 60 hz....., the picture above goes blurry.

When i set it to 30, the picture comes into focus.

I am running a GTX 980 which should be hdmi 2.0 compliant

the wire i am using is 6 FT and says HDMI 2.0 complaint....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NQ9OQU2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but I also bought two other ones one 5 FT and one 3 FT to see if that does anthing:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KJ0M26A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So i m basically shit out of luck at this point ....

So, since I am able to view the image above when i put the refresh rate at 30, this means that I am in 4:4:4 chroma However, I wouldn't really be able to play the 60 fps games and do fast moving things on my screen, which I guess I will have to live with for now.
I am pretty Sure at this point, now either this Monitor or graphics card or wire is a Dud so I am now leaning towards just returning TV and getting an x720e / x 900e since the ports 2, 3 only partially see the hdmi signal from the computer.

After digging some more..... Its starting to Appear ( since 980 is a good card )

That X800E Does not SUpport 4:4:4 @ 60hz 4K.

Only the X720E does or the x800e firmware is messed up.

no way. x800e supports 444 4k 60. Don't return it yet. x720e would be a downgrade.

it doesn't sound like a cable issue. 6ft is one of the shortest you can get, and 28awg is pretty standard gauge. it should be able to push the signal.

So you're saying you've never been able to get hdmi port 2 or 3 to work? and you've been using port 4 this whole time?

Port 4 will definitely give you a blurry picture because according to rtings, #4 doesn't support 4k60 444. so you're getting something less than 444 or 422.

4k 30hz is nothing special. All ports will run 4k30-444

You need to try to get ports 2/3 to work.

Try to run 30hz, while plugged into port #2 or #3. boot up and see if you still get blank screen.
If it boots into Windows, then change it to 60hz while inside windows. and see what happens.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
so it looks like the reason why my port 2 , 3 never worked is bc "enhanced Format" was turned on.
i turned it off, with nvidia settings set to 30 hz, and the rest as before. i attempted to goto 60 hz and then i turned it back on , but everytime i turn it back up , irregardless of the nvidia setting, it would
make the make the screen blank. only if i -> put it under standard , and changed to 30 hertz it worked.
so appararently,... the TV might actually be working correctly, but thinks the signal thru this wire....isn't a valid 60Htz 4:4:4 4k signal..... which does make sense because i was only able to see the non blurry chroma picture at 30Hz 4444 .

every time i set it to 60 hz, it would kill the a) nvidia color settings and b) picture would be getting blurry. ..so my card isn't work correctly do you think ?

SO i guess i will have to wait until those other wires come in .

so

after finding this post from this other forum: https://www.avforums.com/threads/hdmi-deep-colour-on-or-off.1376483/#post-24692939

"Yes as 4k UHD (3840x2160) @ 60hz with uncompressed 32-bit RGB color (8-bit per component [R,G, and B] ) requires 17.82Gbps of the 18Gbps that HDMI 2.0 provides.

What is frustrating is that they don't tell you that audio may be troublesome when using this feature as there wouldn't be enough remaining bandwidth for the audio portion. What I had to do with my gtx 980 is directly use the HDMI 2.0 port to my LG UHD TV and a separate DVI-HDMI connector to my AV receiver for sound.

This way the HDMI port only needed to worry about video and wouldn't flicker/drop audio. If you rely on your TV speakers for audio, then the solution is to get separate speakers or wait for HDMI 2.1 displays (revision announced at the beginning of January). FYI, I had to disable the audio on the HDMI port of the graphics card to make it stop flickering."

i turned off the digital sound in nvidia panel since i have a dedicated sound card for that..but still no luck

yeah maybe it's still a cable issue. though I'm surprised the overpriced monster cable didn't work either.

What happens if you use port 2/3, at 30hz, AND enable enhanced format ? will it display anything?

i checked the evga forums, and someone suggested making sure windows hdr is off, if you've updated to the latest windows build.
dude also tried a bunch of hdmi cables and finally got it to work.

2kjmolM.png

hi ,

I didn't try the monster cable yet, but that sounds the most promising since it says 27 GbPS and all others i have been using only say 18 GBPS. i guess i will know in a few days.

Do you think upgrading my card to a 1080 ti , ( currently have the evga 980 ti)
will have any effect ?

Thanks A bunch for your help KDawg , i think i would have returned the panel a long time ago and wouldn't have at least gotten this far. i think a m still close, with this new cable or new graphics card i ordered the 1080ti this morning as well just as test.

Last edited:
1080ti most likely will work, but that's an expensive test and probably unnecessary. Hope the return policy is generous.
It's not the gpu that is the issue, but the accessory chips on the graphics card. There's a separate chip that controls hdmi output.

maybe the monstercable will solve it.
but it might not, depending how picky the TV is.
I tried an overpriced monster cable 4k certified with my samsung 4k and laptop gtx1060, and it still flickered, so I concluded the TV just didn't like the hdmi controller chip on my motherboard. Probably handshake issue.

Back