Sony X-black (x-brite) = MIRROR

mentorxxx

Weaksauce
After one month of searching in forums and web sites for the best 19" gaming
LCD i figured out that Sony SDM-HS94PB is the best choise.
I knew that this monitor had a strange coating (x-black) that was more reflective
than others . So even if i was sure i'll get the monitor i went to a store to check
out how reflective is X-black (x-brite) before placing the order .....

And when i saw a panel i was 100% dissapointed !!!!! :( :mad:
It was like a mirror !!!! i could see better myself watching the monitor and
all the stuff that was behind me than the picture the monitor was displaying
at that moment !!!!! :(

side by side was the same monitor in the older version SDM-HS94 (not P ) and
it didn't have any problem . So this is 100% a problem of this x-black panel ....

other people say they don't mind about the reflectiveness ... but this was VERY
reflective ,instead of reducing eyestrain this monitor would definately INCREASE
eystrain .... :(

at this point i don't know what to do anymore ... viewsonic vp912b that is the only
19" LCD with 12ms uses the same panel ,so this will 100% have similar problems.
The only option remaining is samsung 193P ,but it's a 20ms panel ... and i prefer
remaing with my CRT than having even minimal ghosting etc ....

Is there any 12ms 19" LCD panel that is NOT reflective ?

I think the reflection thing is blown out of proportion. Yes, it does reflect, but you were in a store with a ton of ambient lighting I assume. Point being, it's not as bad once it's setup in your home. Also, there is no increased eye strain because of it.

- D.

datamage said:
I think the reflection thing is blown out of proportion. Yes, it does reflect, but you were in a store with a ton of ambient lighting I assume. Point being, it's not as bad once it's setup in your home. Also, there is no increased eye strain because of it.

- D.

Reflectiveness is a major eyestrain factor. Yes the store of course had ambient
lighting ,but no other monitor was like a mirror . That simply means that x-black
has a major reflectiveness problem that all other LCDs don't have.

the review of the viewsonic vp912b from gamepc said that it did in fact have glare, but the enhanced picture quality that the coating delivered was worth the slight glare. they said that it would be an issue for some but that most people and most lighting conditions would go along fine with it. perhaps your exagerating?

mentorxxx said:

Go buy yourself a BenQ FP937s. I bought two yesterday and am EXTREMLY pleased with them. Not reflective at all and I don't notice ghosting / blur / screen door. Colors are not perfect but they are great.
:D

firey-eyez said:
the review of the viewsonic vp912b from gamepc said that it did in fact have glare, but the enhanced picture quality that the coating delivered was worth the slight glare. they said that it would be an issue for some but that most people and most lighting conditions would go along fine with it. perhaps your exagerating?

i wasn't alone ,my friend who was with me told me the same thing .
even the salesman agreed the monitor is like a mirror .

well the viewsonic is different than the sony so they most likely arent the same and your original post was regarding the sony.

steal said:
I had this monitor. It's no more reflective than any CRT.

CRTs are not all the same . Now i use a Philips Brilliance Professional monitor CRT
that is NOT reflective at all .Even when it's switch off . The sony is like a mirror .

I have the Sony HS94 LCD and I still have my 21" CRT and they both are just as reflective to me.

kreidel said:
I have the Sony HS94 LCD and I still have my 21" CRT and they both are just as reflective to me.

you have the hs94 or hs94p ?

only "p" version has x-black (x-brite) . All other versions are not like mirrors ,BUT they
don't have 12ms response time ....

I guess this is a personal opinion to a lot of people, the same it seems with ghosting.

I have owned a Sony CRT, and a Viewsonic LCD. This new Sony LCD is not too reflective at all, of course this is just my opinion. Yes, of course, if you have ANY type of coating like the one on the new Sony, there will be some reflection, just like any CRT will have SOME reflection under different lighting conditions. The point is the reflection of this new Sony under "normal" lighting conditions is minimal so say the least. Anyone equating it to a mirror has a very warped sense of either "reflection" or the word "mirror" Of course, just an opinion. I'd rate this lcd as one of the best 19in. lcds out at the moment.

I have this LCD at my home. Its not that bad when I sit down to use it. I only have one light in this room and its behind my desk thus for me it was never a problem. Its a pretty dam nice LCD....

mentorxxx said:
you have the hs94 or hs94p ?

only "p" version has x-black (x-brite) . All other versions are not like mirrors ,BUT they
don't have 12ms response time ....

I have the SDM HS-94P

Jbirney said:
I have this LCD at my home. Its not that bad when I sit down to use it. I only have one light in this room and its behind my desk thus for me it was never a problem. Its a pretty dam nice LCD....

if the only light in the room is behind the monitor and there are no other light
sources arround there is no reflection . BUT in the store where i saw it of course they
didn't have only one light :D That is the problem , under normal lightning this
LCD becomes a mirror !!! you can see yourself staring at it while it's working !!!

way to drag this thread out.. you have a problem with the Xbrite surface on this Sony 19" LCD..

fine point taken...people have posted that its not that big a problem when you get the monitor home and use it in typical home scenarios

Yet you continue to post..

Its mirror like blah blah blah..

gotcha! move on.

TheGameguru said:
way to drag this thread out.. you have a problem with the Xbrite surface on this Sony 19" LCD..

fine point taken...people have posted that its not that big a problem when you get the monitor home and use it in typical home scenarios

Yet you continue to post..

Its mirror like blah blah blah..

gotcha! move on.

I went to the store to buy the monitor and changed my mind due to the x-black,
but i anyway want to buy an 19" 12ms monitor ... could you tell me which ?
sony doesn't sell any 12ms without xblack ,a similar thing has done also viesonic
and now i don't know which monitor to buy anymore .... :( :confused:
if you check my original message in the last line i explain the purpose of this
thread ....

Store won't allow you to take it home to try it out and bring it back?

EGGO said:
Store won't allow you to take it home to try it out and bring it back?

absolutely no way :D

they didn't even want to take it out of the box and turn it on !!! i went to many shops
until i found one that at least could take it out and switch it on for me so that i can
see it working before buying .... things in europe are not the same as in US ... there
it's easy to see what you are buying BEFORE you pay,here it's not :(

also if you buy it and it is not broken ,malfunctional etc and you just want your
money back because you just don't like it they will only lough and kick you out :(
there is no possibility to return stuff to the store unless ofcourse they are not
working ,but even then they will tell you to contact the manufacturer not them ...

went to the store to buy the monitor and changed my mind due to the x-black,

You keep stating your opinion on how it looked @ the store. Are you going to have the same lighting conditions @ home where the LCD is going to be at?

Anyhow, it seems that all of the new 19" 12ms panels are about the same,. so good luck.

- D.

mentorxxx said:

they didn't even want to take it out of the box and turn it on !!! i went to many shops
until i found one that at least could take it out and switch it on for me so that i can
see it working before buying .... things in europe are not the same as in US ... there

also if you buy it and it is not broken ,malfunctional etc and you just want your
money back because you just don't like it they will only lough and kick you out :(
there is no possibility to return stuff to the store unless ofcourse they are not
working ,but even then they will tell you to contact the manufacturer not them ...

Yeah I forgot to ask, "Where do you live?" since I know almost nothing is the same to America.

datamage said:
You keep stating your opinion on how it looked @ the store. Are you going to have the same lighting conditions @ home where the LCD is going to be at?

Anyhow, it seems that all of the new 19" 12ms panels are about the same,. so good luck.

- D.

that is EXACTLY my problem m8 :D
at this point or i get the mirror monitor or i don't get an LCD at all ,i'll have to keep
my CRT until something without glare comes out ... but i don't think something
like that will be in stores before christmas ... so the whole "new monitor" idea
i had will be postponed for at least six months (if not more) :(

the sad thing is that updated my pc (got +1GB of ram and 500$ for a new
X800 card ) just because i wanted to be able to play games at the native resolution
of my new LCD :(
and now there is no LCD .... :eek:

the only real solution would be to get the monitor and if glare realy bothers me sell it
in 6 months when new LCDs without glare will be out ....

mentorxxx said:

Where in Europe do you live?

datamage said:

- D.

That's what I said in another thread when someone brought up how reflective it was at a store. Does everybody have 50 or so high wattage flourescent lights on the ceiling in their home?

I sure don't..

This issue has already been posted on in many thread Numerous times. This Sony LCD has a coating. The coating is similiar to that of a CRT. In a Retail Store the lighting makes the screen a little reflective. This is not "normal" lighting. People who have bought this LCD and brought it home have said the reflectiveness is nothing more then a CRT. So unless your lighting at home is equal to the 200 ceiling lights at CircuitCity, you will not have a problem.

Bango said:
This issue has already been posted on in many thread Numerous times. This Sony LCD has a coating. The coating is similiar to that of a CRT. In a Retail Store the lighting makes the screen a little reflective. This is not "normal" lighting. People who have bought this LCD and brought it home have said the reflectiveness is nothing more then a CRT. So unless your lighting at home is equal to the 200 ceiling lights at CircuitCity, you will not have a problem.

i'm looking into this ... there is a small Sony gallery in Rome and they told me that in
about 15-20 days they will have availability of this monitor and they can open it for me.
So i'll go there to check it out again ... hoping they have less lightning (or different kind)
so that i can see the monitor in a room-similar environment ...

i'll let you know ,thanks for the advice .

One day you say that the Sony is the best out there. And the other day you say almost its suck.

I did get my tft today, but the problem was that it was the wrong tft :(
---
I got the SDM-HS93/B instead. I will return the screen on friday.

This screen have "very" little reflective i think when the power is not on. Its less reflective than my Hitachi CM715 19"Crt monitor.

But the design and color is nice...

Thats all.

Camridge said:
One day you say that the Sony is the best out there. And the other day you say almost its suck.

I did get my tft today, but the problem was that it was the wrong tft :(
---
I got the SDM-HS93/B instead. I will return the screen on friday.

This screen have "very" little reflective i think when the power is not on. Its less reflective than my Hitachi CM715 19"Crt monitor.

But the design and color is nice...

Thats all.

the one you got by mistake is not reflecting ,but also has 25ms instead of 12 !!!

HS94P is the best 19" 12ms out at the moment . This x-black thing however spoils everything
because adds MUCH reflectivity ... and i realised that when i got to the shop to buy it.
However all guys here say it might be the specific shop lightning ... so i'll go to see
it in another shop .

mentorxxx said:
the one you got by mistake is not reflecting ,but also has 25ms instead of 12 !!!

HS94P is the best 19" 12ms out at the moment . This x-black thing however spoils everything
because adds MUCH reflectivity ... and i realised that when i got to the shop to buy it.
However all guys here say it might be the specific shop lightning ... so i'll go to see
it in another shop .

like i said, unless you've got extremely high wattach flourescent lights covering your 10000sq foot house with 40' ceilings then you've got absolutely nothing to worry about

mentorxxx

Thats true,, this tft that i`am returning is a horror in game. Ghosting like hell in 1,game i tested.

I want my screen.

mentorxxx said:
at this point i don't know what to do anymore ... viewsonic vp912b that is the only
19" LCD with 12ms uses the same panel ,so this will 100% have similar problems.
The only option remaining is samsung 193P ,but it's a 20ms panel ... and i prefer
remaing with my CRT than having even minimal ghosting etc ....

Someone has already answered this question twice in the thread but you have chose to ignore it, while you have replied to almost every other response.

Maybe I'm being too harsh but it makes it look like you just want to complain and don't really want a solution.

agentzero9 said:
Someone has already answered this question twice in the thread but you have chose to ignore it, while you have replied to almost every other response.

Maybe I'm being too harsh but it makes it look like you just want to complain and don't really want a solution.

??? which one ? are you talking about the viesonic ? or benq ?
i don't like benq products . If you are talking about the viewsonic i know it's
the only good 12ms alternative but :

1.They use the same panel ,so if sony is reflecting also viewsonic is reflecting.

2.(and most important) Viewsonic monitors are very-very hard to find in Italy,
NO store from those i went (and they were many) had viewsonic LCD products at all.
You can only order it from the web (at about 900$), but i anyway won't buy a monitor
that i can't see first.

got the monitor today ( SDM-HS94PB )and it's AWESOME ,great monitor, absolutely awesome .

Colors are great , no ghosting . I've seen ALL other 16 & 12 ms out at moment,
and there is no comparison with this one ,they all look like crap if you put them
close to this one.(the only one i didn't see was viewsonic vp912b because it's
very hard to find in europe).

However there are 2 little issues . Monitor is extremely bright ( but ofcourse you
can lower brightness as you like) . Also it's reflecting more than other LCDs ,but
this also is not a problem unless you use ultra-lightning at home . This monitor
looks like a mirror if you see it in a store ,however it's not like this if you put
it in your room with normal light (as many other people already said) ,with normal
lightning the "mirror effect" dissapears 100% .

i highly reccomend it . If you want a 19" 12ms LCD it's 100% the best out there at the moment.

Mmm... we should have a sticky FAQ posting common concerns like this...

Glad you like your monitor =)

I love this monitor as well.........0 reflection at home..........lol sometimes I wish i could get a reflection so I am reminded that "Hey I Am XBrite!!!" :)

I have one of these monitors and I cannot recommend it enough :)

The mirror effect is no worse than a CRT would be, and from what I've experinced, it's less.

Back