Sony working on subscription retro service

My advice would be to learn how to use emulators and not pay Sony for a subscription. What a rip off. You can find original Playstation, PS2 ect games really cheap now days.
Maybe but PS2 and PS3 emulation for large swaths of the library isn't there yet and requires some decently powerful equipment, depending on the pricing it may just not be feasible for lots of people. But yeah loving my Pi Zero W 2 in the GPI case and my N2+

but PS2 and PS3 emulation for large swaths of the library isn't there yet and requires some decently powerful equipment...

Kind of off the rails but.. I've been content with ps2 compatibility on pcsx2 for over a decade now.

https://pcsx2.net/compatibility-list.html

there are literally only 10-30 games that aren't playable from start to finish as far as I can tell.. most of the bugs are caused by hardware rendering / upscaling. The only issues I ever see in software mode are some minor interlacing issues. The vast majority of games also run perfectly fine on an overclocked Q6600 (about to celebrate it's 15th birthday), or on bone stock sandy bridge era cpus. So that said, any cheap computer works perfectly fine to emulate a ps2 IMHO.

PS3 is another story..

PS1 emulation has been perfect since most of today's gamers were in diapers, so this is just another attempt from Sony to cash in, rather than just give us the backwards compatibility we demand. Microsoft seems to at least have been TRYING to give us backwards compatibility with the xenon chip since the beginning of xbox one. If some programmers in their basement can get Cell and RSX emulation going, sony sure can do a better job...

Maybe but PS2 and PS3 emulation for large swaths of the library isn't there yet and requires some decently powerful equipment, depending on the pricing it may just not be feasible for lots of people. But yeah loving my Pi Zero W 2 in the GPI case and my N2+
PS2 is very much there with the proper hardware. I think they even have a mobile Andoid emulator out now. Last time I checked PCSX2 was able to play 97% of PS2 titles with no issues. I run it on my old 3570k/gtx 980 at 1080p/2k in some games with no issues. But you're right about PS3, it still needs ALOT of work.

PS1 has been solid for years. Even when running it under Linux. The Odroid N2+ is great, I have one too.

Trying to get in on some of that Steam Deck action.

Something tells me emulator support on that guy's going to be unchained.
Look into Batocera, its a great little front end & im sure it will be great on the Deck too. It uses Retroarch as its backend, like most if not all emulators do.

Trying to get in on some of that Steam Deck action.

Something tells me emulator support on that guy's going to be unchained.
That is about the only reason I can see to own one, very little of my PC game catalogue would I want to play on that. In the meantime I am keeping an eye on the Odroid Go Super, as I said I love my GPI case by the button layout is a little cramped for my old ass fat fingers.

I am happy to hear that PS2 is far further along than I remembered.

That is about the only reason I can see to own one, very little of my PC game catalogue would I want to play on that. In the meantime I am keeping an eye on the Odroid Go Super, as I said I love my GPI case by the button layout is a little cramped for my old ass fat fingers.

I am happy to hear that PS2 is far further along than I remembered.
Have you tried running PS1 or N64 on the Raspberry Zero w2? If so how is it? Thinking about getting one for a friend for Christmas for his Gameboy case.

Have you tried running PS1 or N64 on the Raspberry Zero w2? If so how is it? Thinking about getting one for a friend for Christmas for his Gameboy case.
The Zero W 2 can basically do anything the 3B+ can, so PS1 is doable, but N64 isn't playable really unless you OC it, and even then it's pretty sketchy.

PlayStation Now is streaming based isn't it?
You can both stream and download games, although you clearly can't do both for every title without native support for pre-PS4 games.

The thread subject is something of a misnomer: this is more of a parallel to Xbox Game Pass that happens to include older games.

XGP is definitely one of Microsoft's smarter moves in gaming, so I wouldn't be surprised that Sony would offer a rough equivalent.

Looks like somebody making good use of the MiSTer FPGA project, Nice!
Analogue seems to be entirely independent of MiSTer (and the Super NT and NT mini both released before MiSTer's initial commit in June 2017)

My advice would be to learn how to use emulators and not pay Sony for a subscription. What a rip off. You can find original Playstation, PS2 ect games really cheap now days.
Pretty much this, I been emulating GameCube and below on my Snapdragon 720G based phone. Want to get a SD 870 CPU to play Zelda, Twilight Princess since the game runs like ass when you use the lantern.
PS2 is very much there with the proper hardware. I think they even have a mobile Andoid emulator out now. Last time I checked PCSX2 was able to play 97% of PS2 titles with no issues. I run it on my old 3570k/gtx 980 at 1080p/2k in some games with no issues. But you're right about PS3, it still needs ALOT of work.

PS1 has been solid for years. Even when running it under Linux. The Odroid N2+ is great, I have one too.
Looks like another one is out and runs good on a SD 870 chip.

Just to drop my .02 in here, ps1 emulation can put you in one of two camps. Emulators that run the emulation fairly perfectly, but don't deliver any graphical improvements, which may not really be what people want when they dive back into a mid 90s console designed for crt displays, or emulators like epsxe that use pete's plugins that can improve visuals, but render visual artifact tradeoffs in most games.

pcsx2 is a better affair all around, as games had moved into a better 3d development space at that point.

Just to drop my .02 in here, ps1 emulation can put you in one of two camps. Emulators that run the emulation fairly perfectly, but don't deliver any graphical improvements, which may not really be what people want when they dive back into a mid 90s console designed for crt displays, or emulators like epsxe that use pete's plugins that can improve visuals, but render visual artifact tradeoffs in most games.

pcsx2 is a better affair all around, as games had moved into a better 3d development space at that point.
Or the third camp, Duckstation / PSX Beetle HW that can upscale to 4k and use CRT shaders with no artifacts, it really does make PS1 & 2 games look amazing.

Widescreen is nice on PS1 but I prefer 4:3 still with simulated bezles at 1080p uspcale, but widescreen with PS2 looks really good.

Back