Sony vs. Mitsubishi DLP

Shmuckety

[H]ard|Gawd
I want to get a DLP because they are cheaper for the 55"+ sizes. Which is better the Mitsubishi WD57734 or the SONY KDS55A3000? I am using this as my main tv obviously, but it will have an htpc connected to it. The sony has vga, but its not a dvi connection. Would it be better to get a dvi to HDMI adapter anyway?

Neither

Theres a reason more people have Samsung DLP's

Also, DVI = HDMI, they are the same thing, the only difference is that HDMI carries audio. Not many sets come with a DVI port since they already have HDMI

Also if you need cables dont forget about www.monoprice.com

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
sony doesn't use DLP...

i'm guessing KDS series is probably LCD projection

nevermind SXRD, i'd get the sony IMO

Personally I would not recommend any DLP, I think the picture just looks terrible...simply because its projection. At any sort of angle you get the washed out look or hazy look.

Buy an LCD you will not be disappointed, or if you want to go a little cheaper...you can pick up a 50" Samsung Plasma for around $1500, I have even seen this tv on some of the Black Friday ads for about $1299. Great looking set, I would take it over any 1080p DLP.

the pro reviews I've seen have the saMsung winning. Angles aren't an issue at any angle you should be sitting.

Samsung DLP = ftw

Shit.. even my old Samsung HLP4663W 720p DLP produces a better picture (blacks/colors/contrast) than nearly any LCD I've used to date. For the money you pay, the screen size and image quality is far more worth it than a similar size/price LCD. The new Samsung LCD DLP units are even better. No motion blur, no rainbow effect thanks to individual LED light engines, better contrast, better colors, etc.

I'd go for the either the Sony or JVC LCOS tv's over a DLP.

dlp not so hot right now... lcos/lcd proj. much better...

might change with darkchip4... but right now the new generation lcd panels are insane... can't wait to get some units put in with those, everybody i've talked to said they look incredible

Best Buy has a deal right now for a 56" Samsung DLP + a XBox 360 Pro for $1499, I don't regret it so far (although it has only been a day)

Of course almost anything is better than the old 52" analog projection TV my roommate and I had in it's place

I dont care for Sony's DLP's personally, I bought Mitsu 52" for myself, and got my in laws to buy a Samsung 50" Both Mitsu and Samsung make great TV's. For Sony though you are better off getting an LCD which I do like from them.

I use mine a lot with my HTPC and other stuff, right now its hooked up via DVI and provides a great picture, viewing angle is good and no image issues. No complaints from the inlaws so I assume theirs is working great for them.

dude, I bought this from amazon and it fucking kicks ass.

Samsung HLT5087SAX 50" Slim LED Engine 1080p DLP HDTV
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HLT5087S-Slim-Engine-1080p/dp/B000N50RLO

I bought it for $1,424 two weeks ago. The shipping was extremely fast and free. the guy even helped me take it out of the box and watched me set it up to make sure everything worked great at no charge.

dsc02257uk1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i vote neither as well. jvc for lcos or samsung for dlp.

lcos is doing quite well right now but after i went through the avia dvd my hl-t5087s looks beautiful and i paid $1,500 shipped at vanns.

i have yet to see an affordable lcd tv uniformly back lit. lcos now has very little light leak so darks are rich and the led light engine seems to work great as far as i can tell and i never have to change a lamp.

viewing angle on my dlp is perfect horizontal but vertical its about 70. in my room everyone sits on the couch so it makes no difference. i assume the defuser is designed better as the color does not wash out it just gets a slight grey shift.

sammy.jpg

this is my old rca... image was nice but terrible next to the sammy.
P1190030.jpg

Back