Sony vs IOmega DVD drive.

The Chosen One

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys, i have two choices of DVD drives;

the Sony DWU180A10 Internal DVD+/-RW Drive - OEM, 8X Dual Format DVD Write, 12X Max DVD Read, 40X Max CD Read/Write, 24X ReWrite

and the

IOMEGA Internal IDE DVD+/-RW DVD+R/RW 4x/2.4x, DVD-R/RW 4x/2x, DVD-RAM 3x Max Write, 3x Max Read, CD-R/RW 24x/16x, DVD/CDROM 12x/32x.

They are both roughly the same price. Is it worth sacrificing 8x burning for DVD-RAM, and also, is Sony better for compatibility with media? I have a pos I/O Magic atm and am using Laser DVD-Rs, have burn 1 successful DVD out of about 20. Pissing me off soo much that im buying a new one.

Also, Which brand is better overall? Sony?

Thanks guys.

I would go with Sony since I don't like Iomega because of back in the day the crappy reliability of the Zip 100 drives.

If at anyway possible, I'd try and find the LiteOn 811S. But if for some odd reason you can only get those 2, get the Sony. Oh, and DVD-RAM is pretty much worthless.

Originally posted by Met-AL
I would go with Sony since I don't like Iomega because of back in the day the crappy reliability of the Zip 100 drives.
Exactly my thoughts. Click of death brought them down to their knees by their balls.

That and IOShmegma had to sue any company that released a product better than theirs. Like the 2Gig removable storage device by Castlewood.

And I can't fucking believe they made that Parallel interface ZIP100 drive, MY GOD, what a fucking peice of shit.

Originally posted by djnes
If at anyway possible, I'd try and find the LiteOn 811S. But if for some odd reason you can only get those 2, get the Sony. Oh, and DVD-RAM is pretty much worthless.

Heh, the Sony DWU18A is an OEM version of the Lite-On 812S, which is the successor to the 811S, and adds 8X -R burning capability. It is a good drive. The conversion from the U18A to the 812S is very easy too.

Oh.. and the 812S can be modded to burn DUAL-LAYER DISCS :D

Originally posted by TechHead
Heh, the Sony DWU18A is an OEM version of the Lite-On 812S, which is the successor to the 811S, and adds 8X -R burning capability. It is a good drive. The conversion from the U18A to the 812S is very easy too.

Oh.. and the 812S can be modded to burn DUAL-LAYER DISCS :D

oooh! OOOH! tell me more?!

Does that mean i can convert my U18A to a 812S and then mod it to burn Dual-Layer Discs?

Yes, you can.To update your DWU18A to an 812S, download the latest 812S firmware from the Lite-On website, and download Flashfix (google it..). Then apply Flashfix to the 812S firmware you've downloaded and apply it by double clicking on it, selecting the 812S and rebooting.
FOr the 812S->832S hack, check here :
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93249

Props to your fellow crazy Aussie,Zebra :D

ta mate, ill give that a go.

Just hope the flash doesnt fuck anything cos its working fine atm.

Have you done it? or know anyone who has?

As Zebra is still waiting for the 832s FW, is there any advantage in modding the Sony to the 812S right now? I can only see the sony->812s mod as a platform to the 832s mod, and as such will wait until there is a working 832s FW and mod etc.

Correct me if im wrong though. That is, if theres any benefit in the sony->812s benefit on its own.

Back