Sony Vita handheld, buy or pass on it?

Best Buy Black Friday ad is out. There is a Vita with Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified and 4GB card for $199.99.

Best Buy Black Friday ad is out. There is a Vita with Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified and 4GB card for $199.99.

Waiting for a Persona 4 bundle, or $169.99 with no game.
Even then, I still cant stomach paying $200+ to play one game, I've already played on PS2.

But honestly, this is gonna be an awful season for Vita. Theres just a flood of devices out, for example, I'm waiting for a certain Windows 8 tablet/hybrid. If I end up getting it, Vita is permanently off my radar till a big price drop. Don't forget Wii U is also releasing in one week. Getting that too, wont have much time left over....

Homebrew/emulators are moot, because my PSP already does that, and I haven't touched it since spring? It's honestly more enjoyable on the 40 inch on my PC, either way. It is exciting to see the progress on that front though, I followed the PSP for quite some time till I lost interest. I hope you guys follow the vita side of things and let us know any cool shit you find there. Even though I posted that, I don't have a vita, and only have a minor interest in it at the moment, but do kinda keep up with the scene.

Vita firmware 2.00 makes web browser faster, usable in-game

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/19/vita-firmware-2-00-makes-web-browser-faster-usable-in-game/

Today's Vita firmware update is giving the system's web browser a speed boost, as well as making it usable in-game. We knew the browser's due enhancements in the 2.00 update, but Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida shed further light on Twitter today.

The browser becomes a "small app," said Yoshida, meaning it can be used without quitting a game. That's vital for when you're stuck and need a walkthrough, not that we ever have of course, cough splutter. Yoshida also noted browsing is faster in 2.00 firmware.

The biggest deal with 2.00 is the introduction of PlayStation Plus for Vita. The first batch of Instant Game Collection freebies arrives tomorrow, with six Vita games added including the likes of Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Jet Set Radio, Wipeout 2048, and Gravity Rush.

With the vita selling for $170-200, they should just make it the controller for PS4. A handheld vita controller for PS4 >>> Wii U

Humm 179.99 amazon gold box tommrow...

Pretty sick deal, minus the ass creed.
If I could choose the game (Persona 4), I would jump on this. Right now its just a bundle with a mediocre game and a memory card that should have always been included. Oh well...

Woa.... youre quite right...

Except for a home console, those thumbsticks...... meh.
And get ready for sync and delay issues, probably working radius as well. In the end, Vita doesn't have the tech to be a better controller than the WiiU gamepad. The streaming alone is an amazing feat that currently no one can replicate. Regular PS3 and Xbox controllers delay is around 45-50 ms, the WiiU gamepad is around 20ms. I rather they not half ass something like this, like they did with PSP.

Pretty sick deal, minus the ass creed.
If I could choose the game (Persona 4), I would jump on this. Right now its just a bundle with a mediocre game and a memory card that should have always been included. Oh well...

Actually the Assassin's Creed bundle looks pretty legit, the game seemed fun to me, got to try it at a buddy's the other day. I'd buy it, personally, if I didn't already have one. Plus a white Vita is great looking. Sure wish they'd increase memory sizes in these bundles though y'know.

I'll grab Persona 4 after I'm done with Hitman..Assassin's Creed 3....ZombieU....ffs.

Jumped on the Amazon deal. Couldn't resist, especially with the $50 gift card for signing up for their credit card. I hear really good things about Persona 4, although I've never played any of the series. That will be first on my list after AC3.

I bought it from yesterday's Amazon deal ($180 for the Assasin's Creed version), mostly for Persona 4 Golden but I've got a list of a few other games I'd like to try that are out.

But man, the biggest let-down is that there are no games coming out for at least the next 3+ months. Earth Defense Force is coming out in February 2013 and that's it for the Vita's near future. We're stuck with the (tiny) library it currently has.

Truth be told I'll probably end up selling it (probably for break even pricing thanks to Amazon's great deal. Hope you all got on that the other day if you were thinking of getting one!) after just 2-3 months after I get my fill of Persona and a few other Gamefly'd games.

Did the PSP suffer this much? This graph shows continues growth for PSP in the 2 years following release. Yet with the Vita it has just been announced that it's experiencing the lowest Japanese sales since release. How were PSP games at launch? I seem to remember the scene was also very barren for the longest time.

298452347_ef1266b11b_o.png

I really wish that Vita didn't have the whole gyroscope, accelerometer and touch control junk. Hate those things, totally takes the fun out a game immediately, at least for me, and ruins the immersion if you do get immersed. Who actually thinks they're dusting off relics in Uncharted when they're just swiping their finger across the screen in uncharted? Just a silly game mechanic used because the tech is there

Last edited:
Its kinda cool in some games, depends on the implementation. In fifa 13 you can use the back touchpad as a target for shooting.

Its kinda cool in some games, depends on the implementation. In fifa 13 you can use the back touchpad as a target for shooting.

Love the front and back touch screens as well, really neat at times.

Anyone get Persona 4 yet? How is it? I'm waiting to get it since I still have 3 games to play before it.

My ViTA is gathering dust like it's grandpa the PSP does.

Has anything good happened with the vita since launch?

Love the front and back touch screens as well, really neat at times.

Anyone get Persona 4 yet? How is it? I'm waiting to get it since I still have 3 games to play before it.

Only ever played Persona 3 and I loved it, have spent about 2-3 hours (too much media/games, too little free time) on Persona 4 so far, so far so good.

Thought about buying then realized I was only interested in one or two games. Plus the directional pad is shitty just like the first gen PSP.

pass on a vita - this is the last time i get burned by sony on a handheld. Read a review of the black ops game for vita and you'll see what a joke this thing is.

pass on a vita - this is the last time i get burned by sony on a handheld. Read a review of the black ops game for vita and you'll see what a joke this thing is.

That's one game. There are plenty of good games on the Vita. It just depends on peoples tastes.

imho black ops sucks in general doesn't matter what console it is on. During the sale i had to choose black or white and between a game i might play and a game I did not want nor wish to even put in the vita. I bought the assassin creed bundle despite not wanting the white vita. Because i am probably going to play assassin's creed black ops i would have traded in at my local game store for store credit and then i would have likely picked up assassin's creed for the vita or gravity rush...

gravity rush is a great game.
assassin's creed liberation is a mobile assassin's creed if you like the series you will like this.
persona 4 awesome game big fan of the persona series very tempting to buy 1-3 on psn so i can have 1-4 on the vita. But i have them for psp and if i feel like playing them ill play on my psp... not going to pay 29.99 for 2 9.99 for 1 and 19.99 for 3 ill wait till all 3 are below 9.99

Now if only i could get a english version of tales of innocence R

Last edited:
That's one game. There are plenty of good games on the Vita. It just depends on peoples tastes.

While I haven't touched my Vita in a long time, I have to say that the REAL reason is that I just don't have time. I'm a weekend gamer at heart, and I only get about 2-3 hours in after work (7PM onwards) to relax, so I game on my PC. Hot Shots Golf, Rayman, Uncharted, I enjoyed the SHIT out of all of those on the vita, and I really enjoy using the Vita, it feels like a well built device. It'll take time for good games to come out...but I'm willing to wait.

That said, I still haven't picked up Persona, back-log is too big :(

I'm thinking by Xmas at least.

MY vita has been sitting since a few weeks after fathers day, and trust me my fiance is noticing lol! i played the shit out of mortal kombat, i couldnt get into Uncharted. only 2 games i own. I bought FFVII, but after my 7th play though and never beating it due to stupid reasons ( first time i was like 10 and play station broke, PSP then broke, sold the Ps3 before i finished, now this) im kinda tired of restlessly trying to get a gold freaking chocobo. Im super exicted for zone of enders HD, and FFX. Even though i beat both its more for nostalgia. I think im going to try to sell uncharted and get something else.

with the psn+ i just subscribed to , i kinda wish i had a ps vita.

Sony really needs a "mario" for their brand.

From my eyes owning both 3ds and Vita its the only thing I can think of that keeps the 3ds outselling the Vita.

even at a higher price point the vita is better in every single way and yet it continues to sell poorly.

Both are looking to be great RPG consoles though so I'm happier than baby Jesus on Christmas. Vita has Persona 4 & Phantasy Star online and 3ds will have the new castlevania & Etrian Odyssey.

I play my FFVI, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, and Mortal Kombat on it more than anything. I can't wait to move the psn+ games to it. I only have a 4 gig mem card so I am limited. I love the vita, I just need more time with it.

Currently using my vita on my jpn psn account so I can play Valkyria Chronicles 3 on it. :D

I usually like rhythm games like project diva and djmax tecknika tune.

Been playing Persona 4 Golden quite a lot lately. Really not sure how I missed these games, it's so much fun!

anybody been playing allstars?

my friends and i are loving it on ps3... considering it on vita cause i dont have a ps3 :(

anybody been playing allstars?

my friends and i are loving it on ps3... considering it on vita cause i dont have a ps3 :(

It's alright. They tried to reach Smash Bros and missed it. Now I'm not a big SSB fan but I understand how it works and all that. All-Stars can be fun but the characters are too much of a mish-mash and the art style's clash way too much. It's not a bad game but not super great. I got it free with my Vita and don't play it very much.

yo genius, look at the post i dont own a ps3

Yes but you could own one in the future and if you buy the vita version you would have to buy the ps3 copy if you ever were to get one. You could buy the ps3 version redeem the code for the vita version then sell the ps3 version or keep it.

Lmao. You playing anything on Vita as of late?

naw. it collects dust.

actually its not even out in the open its in a drawer in my desk. im ashamed of it. it just screams at me 400$ BRO 400$ BRO 400$ BRO

Back