Sony Vita handheld, buy or pass on it?

plunger

Gawd
I was waiting until after E3 to see if there were anything good for the Vita. I didn't see much. It's going for $200 now on Amazon after $50 store gift card.

Is there any hope for this thing? Hardware looks good. Just don't know if developers are committed.

I have one and really like Uncharted Golden Abyss. I used it a lot the first week but other than Uncharted there are no other games I want to play for now. Netflix works well and looks great so if you would use it as a video/mp3 player you might get more use out of it. Hardware is great but needs more games.

I was waiting until after E3 to see if there were anything good for the Vita. I didn't see much. It's going for $200 now on Amazon after $50 store gift card.

Is there any hope for this thing? Hardware looks good. Just don't know if developers are committed.

honestly mine collects dust and it sucks. I havent sold it cause my fiance wants to play littlebigplanet together (she has her own). I think if you travel a lot or you have more free time the vita is dope. Personally I work a lot and when I get home I'd rather be on my computer...

however there are a lot of titles that might redeem the vita and soon like metal gear solid HD; final fantasy X HD ; ps one titles ( coming this summer ); littlebigplanet; sound shapes

there are a few .. none of them are available.

really the best game for it right now in my opinion is Lumines which is FANTASTIC and very addicting.. we played it constantly when we first got our vitas.

I think being an early adopter is something Ive never experienced and its left me a little bitter

when the games I have mentioned above come out I will definitely be loving it Im sure...

I would wait for it to drop in price and also let it grow a larger library of games. I think in quality of games the 3DS is smoking it now. The Vita is more powerful and has much more potential thanks to that added power but there are maybe 2-3 games truly worth owning for it.

Wait til the Holiday season when both platforms have larger pools of games to choose from and decide then.

Last edited:
I would wait for it to drop in price and grow a larger library of games. I think in quality of games the 3DS is smoking it now. The Vita is more powerful and has much more potential thanks to that added power but there are made 2-3 games truly worth owning for it.

Wait til the Holiday season when both platforms have larger pools of games to choose from and decide then.

3DS has such good games; I feel bad being this way but I cant play it cause the graphics hahaha. Not after I've seen Crysis 2 and BF3 on Ultra ;P

Gravity Rush is one of the best Vita titles IMO. Escape Plan is a lot of fun also. Rayman Origins works pretty well on the go too.

Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified confirmed for release. I don't care personally but I'm sure it will help move the system.

I'm waiting for Final Fantasy X HD, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD and Zone of the Enders to come out.

Gravity Rush is one of the best Vita titles IMO. Escape Plan is a lot of fun also. Rayman Origins works pretty well on the go too.

Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified confirmed for release. I don't care personally but I'm sure it will help move the system.

I'm waiting for Final Fantasy X HD, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD and Zone of the Enders to come out.

Gravity rush isnt out yet ;O

Gravity rush isnt out yet ;O

Sorry, meant the demo mostly. Reviews have been great so far. I haven't played the full game of course but I loved what I've played so far. Guess I'll know better when it comes out tomorrow.

I've played one a little bit in a store, it seemed pretty cool, but handheld gaming has never been that "great" to me. I'd much rather play on a console connected to a television or something.

The only handheld I ever really wanted was a Nintendo handheld, and that's because they kept releasing old rpg's on them haha

I love Wipeout so much that I may end up getting it at some point -- like when it drops to $100-120 used with a memory card -- just for a portable version of Wipeout HD and the PS1 back catalog (I have a PSP and play them on that sometimes, but the "analog nub" on the PSP is terrible).

Uncharted is pretty amazing, and if you've never played Ninja Gaiden, that's probably the single best version of it to date. Unit 13's pretty cool, although gets old quickly.
The launch games were good, but nothing has really caught my interest since. Hopefully we'll see some more titles soon.

I'd say stick with or buy a PSP for now. Let the Vita library grow for about 6 more months to a year.

The PSP with CFW all the way. Just bought 32gb setup for $18 bucks (coming from 16gb now). w00t!

I'm tearing it up in Midnight Club LA Remix now :D

If there are a lot of psp games on the psn you like then go for it. The upscaling for psp games is pretty dam good. The psp games are real cheap as well. I dont think theres anything on the same level as the Vita for game experience. Just got the little big planet beta as well and thats got the best use of touch controls, it really is an amazing game. I have stopped playing games on the tablet/phone/pc/ps3. Got 40 games on the. Vita and loving it!

If there are a lot of psp games on the psn you like then go for it. The upscaling for psp games is pretty dam good. The psp games are real cheap as well. I dont think theres anything on the same level as the Vita for game experience. Just got the little big planet beta as well and thats got the best use of touch controls, it really is an amazing game. I have stopped playing games on the tablet/phone/pc/ps3. Got 40 games on the. Vita and loving it!

Glad you're loving it, but you're like the only one, man...

I pick up a Vita and I like it. I am waiting for the ps1 games to be available.

I have a vita, nintendo 3ds and a dsi xl with various different games for each. That said, I primarily play my vita - Unit 13 has taken up a lot of time and I definitely recommend the game. I also picked up Metal Gear solid HD collection and yeah - what can I say - its Metal Gear and its awesome but the killer part for me was that it includes the original Metal Gear that I played on the NES eons ago. Vita is totally underrated.

When Persona 4 comes out.

and...
Ninja Gaiden, that's probably the single best version of it to date.

Absolute nonsense! Ninja Gaiden Black on the original Xbox is, and will always be the definitive version of Ninja Gaiden. Sigma(all versions) in general is inferior. Any game by Hayashi is inferior. He destroyed the franchise.

I won't buy one because I do not support Sony's "bigger and better (at a price)" philosophy. I think the Vita is going to be an end of an era.

Black Fridayish time period will be a great time to buy. It's an excellent li'l piece of hardware and that's when there will be bundles and some compelling titles to make a move on.

I'm always playing pinball on mine. They've been releasing new tables for it.

The Vita is a solid handheld, and I mean that both literally and figuratively... It's built like a tank and playing games on it is very satisfying. One of the best aspects is how you can just power it off and immediately pick up where you left off in your game when you turn it on. Why this wasn't a feature of other handhelds is beyond me.

I bought the dock for mine and have it sitting on my desk, always charged and ready to go. I'll pick it up a lot while I'm sitting there and play a couple games of pinball or do a mission in Gravity Rush.

It does need more games though to really show it off.

Any homebrew options for the Vita? Or is it locked down in typical Sony fashion?

The homebrew community for the Vita is barely anything right now. I don't think I could recommend the Vita to anyone in its current state.

Over priced , not enough games , not enough games that take full advantage of it , battery life sucks are just a few.

I would wait until Winter when there should be a healthy amount of releases but right now the 3DS smokes the Vita in game quality.

The homebrew community for the Vita is barely anything right now. I don't think I could recommend the Vita to anyone in its current state.

Over priced , not enough games , not enough games that take full advantage of it , battery life sucks are just a few.

I would wait until Winter when there should be a healthy amount of releases but right now the 3DS smokes the Vita in game quality.

Sadly I agree. I'm gonna sell mine on eBay. Thing is gathering dust. Lack of games and no support from Sony with PSN is really ticking me off. I mean why can't they put even PSP games on sale? Why not!? I want to play some of those and get them cheap....PSP is long dead yet PSP PSN games are still around $25-$40 a game. They all should be $5 per game, Jesus.

So at this point would it be better to just pick up an older, hacked PSP? Or are the games/hardware on the Vita that much better?

Love my Vita still. Play it a ton. I have a 4 year old i gotta take to swimming/ballet/ etc/etc so its extremely handy to hop on anyones wifi and play some Mortal Kombat mp, resistance Mp wherever.

Sadly I agree. I'm gonna sell mine on eBay. Thing is gathering dust. Lack of games and no support from Sony with PSN is really ticking me off. I mean why can't they put even PSP games on sale? Why not!? I want to play some of those and get them cheap....PSP is long dead yet PSP PSN games are still around $25-$40 a game. They all should be $5 per game, Jesus.

That sucks for you, over here in the uk, theres loads of cheap psp games on the psn

I'm going to waiting for the price to drop down to the sub $200 range. The console itself is very powerful and its very good value if you just look at the product from the specs. There's many promotion at where I live (Canada) but I just can't get over the fact that Sony forces you to buy a memory card in order to play most games, That basically ask all purchasers to shell off more money. $60 for a 32GB? This is crazy...

Omg if I wasn't selling my Vita, I'd buy all these $20 games. Sadly I'll play them for 1-2 hours and stop playing them. I wish I was really young again to play handhelds. Super deal on these games, hardware is still too much.

I am loving the Vita so far. I guess I differ from the majority opinion and think that there are enough good games, expecially considering the amount of time it has been out. I have these retail games so far: Wipeout 2048, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Ultimate MvC 3, Mortal Kombat, Hot Shots Golf, Metal Gear Sollid HD Collection, MLB The Show 12, and Gravity Rush. I have also downloaded Escape Plan and Super Stardust Delta.

I already beat Uncharted and am really into Gravity Rush. I also plan to get Rayman Origins, Unit 13, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma plus when I find a good price on them.

The system at this point doesn't have any RPG's I am interested in, but the huge PSP library available makes up for that. I do feel that the system needs a good FPS. I feel that Borderlands 2 would be a perfect fit if they had a way to transfer your save file from the PC/PS3/360. It seems to me that grinding for loot would be a great way to play in short bursts. At this point, I would also like a more realistic racing game (Gran Turismo) and a more realistic golf game (Tiger Woods).

Either way, as a 3DS owner I feel that the Vita has a better game selection than the 3DS did at this point in its life. It wasn't until Nov - Dec of last year that I even started using the 3DS. The longer I have the Vita, the less and less I use the 3DS, though Mario Kart still gets play time frequently.

Again, my love of WipEout means I will eventually own this system, just as I bought a PS3 for WipeOut HD... simply a matter of time and cost. Eventually I plan to own every system any WipEout game every came out for, though at this point HD for PS3 and 3 (Wip3out) for the PS1 are my favorites.

If anti-grav racing ever becomes a reality, I know what I'll be selling everything and doing a career change for.

Vita was designed under the previous Sony administration. The new people who have taken over I do not believe would of designed and released the Vita as it is now but since it was so close to being complete they had no choice. I don't expect Sony to release overpriced consoles any more due to the horrible starts by the PS3 and Vita.

Vita was designed under the previous Sony administration. The new people who have taken over I do not believe would of designed and released the Vita as it is now but since it was so close to being complete they had no choice. I don't expect Sony to release overpriced consoles any more due to the horrible starts by the PS3 and Vita.

all consoles start high though.. especially next gen.. the wii u will probably be like 500-600$
and it will still be hard to find in stores.

as for the vita the only reason i havent sold mine is because my fiance insists on waiting till LBP comes out so that we can play...i want to sell mine for a ps3 though

Exactly. Bundles. More games.

It's a heck of a handheld IMO.

It's a great system, but I bought mine on an impulse with Rayman, and never really played it. Did a couple levels, but ultimately did not get too into it. I always passed it off as the system being young and not having enough games to keep my interest. Will consider picking another one up when some RPG's start coming out.

It's a great system, but I bought mine on an impulse with Rayman, and never really played it. Did a couple levels, but ultimately did not get too into it. I always passed it off as the system being young and not having enough games to keep my interest. Will consider picking another one up when some RPG's start coming out.

Rayman Origins? Man I love that game. One of the best platformers I've played in a long while. Guess it's not for everyone.

Anyways, Persona 4: The Golden comes out in October. If you’re a RPG fan you should be drooling for this haha. Also with more PS1 games getting backwards compatibility, that opens up a lot in the RPG classics. Like Legend of Dragoon, FF 7-9, Chrono Trigger to name a few.

Rayman Origins? Man I love that game. One of the best platformers I've played in a long while. Guess it's not for everyone.

Anyways, Persona 4: The Golden comes out in October. If you’re a RPG fan you should be drooling for this haha. Also with more PS1 games getting backwards compatibility, that opens up a lot in the RPG classics. Like Legend of Dragoon, FF 7-9, Chrono Trigger to name a few.

if they ever release the damn classics... trying to play me some final fantasy

Back