Sony Vaio Z

Veilrap

Limp Gawd
Hey all, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this line of laptops? I've been looking pretty hard for a new portable and I'm having a rough time finding one that matches what I'm looking for.

Mostly I'll be using it for productivity and medium gaming. On the gaming side it'd be used only for LAN games like SC2, War3, Civilization, etc. I don't care too much about games like Crysis, if it works cool if not thats fine too. Other than gaming requirements I prefer a screen with the highest resolution possible. I'd like the size to be ~14-15in anything bigger than 15.6 would be too large and 13.1 is probably the lower limit. Many laptops I've had in the past have had shabby battery lives ~2 hours, so I'd really like to get a bit more from the new machine.

The Vaio Z seems to have it all, I especially like the 1080p screen and the light weight, and the fact that SSDs are standard. However, the price seems a bit high, I was hoping to be in the $1000-$1500 price range. Anyone have advice on this one?

I've also been considering the new Envy 14 but it has a bit lower resolution and I've been waiting to hear some more hands on reviews.

Any recommendations and advice would be greatly appreciated.

MSI GX660? 15 inch, 1080p, HD5870m <-- power!

EDIT: i7 mobile QUAD, too!

Sony Z, I love it. I wish I had one, I only got to see a co-worker using one for a week (before I went back to our USA office...)

well just realize the Z's SSD's are actually single sided boards embeded. They aren't traditional SSD's that you can take out and replace

it's a very good machine nonetheless

The MSI looks promising, but it seems a bit bulky and with an advertised battery life of 3 hours I don't expect to be able to stray to far from an outlet... But wow that graphics card is beastly. If only it was switchable I imagine the battery life would be significantly improved..

It seems everyone has positive things to say about the Z, but I have a hard time determining if its really worth the extra expense...

well just realize the Z's SSD's are actually single sided boards embeded. They aren't traditional SSD's that you can take out and replace

This is important to remember. Mainly because to upgrade to 256gb (the middle option) is $300. It's not a laptop designed so that you can swap your own hard drive in later (a tradeoff for the light weight/compact size). Once you tack that on and any other options, you're going to be waaay above your ideal $1000-1500 price range.

The only real cons to the laptop are:
- PRICE (obviously)
- inability to upgrade hard drives (except through Sony)
- screen can touch keyboard (found this out before using a cloth... this is my biggest irritation)
- AWFUL speakers (truly terrible, they are unbelievably quiet and still clip; you have to use headphones or external speakers unless you are in a completely quiet room)

Benefits obviously are great battery life (especially given the performance), the performance, incredibly light, the screen (I have been using a 1920x1200 24" since the Dell 2405FPW was first released years ago and my other full-size laptop has a 15" 1920x1200 screen); and the keyboard.

Thanks for the detailed analysis.

Interestingly the 256gb setup is on sale for the next few days for 150 rather than 300. Witch makes it a bit more manageable. Interesting to hear about the sound, I hadn't heard that complaint yet.

Have you had to deal with Sony's support/service? I've heard that it is far from the best.

I have been planning a Z series purchase soon but did not know about the harddrives not being end-user serviceable. Damn, I really had my heart set on one. Might end up buying a second F series.

If you don't mind not being able to swap out the HDD then the Z would be the only lappy in the small-ish range that I would consider.

Thanks for the detailed analysis.

Interestingly the 256gb setup is on sale for the next few days for 150 rather than 300. Witch makes it a bit more manageable. Interesting to hear about the sound, I hadn't heard that complaint yet.

Have you had to deal with Sony's support/service? I've heard that it is far from the best.

$150 definitely makes it a bit more palatable.

I went back to look for reviews re the speakers after purchasing it because I couldn't believe it was supposed to be that quiet... but indeed it is an oft-noted gripe which I had apparently glossed over. I don't care that much because I think all music sounds like shit through any laptop's speakers, but can be annoying when trying to just sit and watch Hulu (or youtube or whatever) with someone else without headphones.

I'll also note that I don't hear nearly as well as I used to and so for someone with normal hearing it will be quiet but perhaps not as crippling :p

I haven't had to deal with support/service at all outside of the initial purchase (and a question about my order). They actually gave me a wrong answer, though at least they were nice about it... :rolleyes: On a positive note, my reading seems to be that they treat Z owners a bit better re parts replacements, etc.

it's a very good machine nonetheless

ORLY... very good to know.. i was thinking of buying a Sony Z tomorrow at Frys..

Microcenter sometimes has good deals on the entry level model for around $1500, it doesn't look like they have any that low right now though, something to keep in mind if you have one nearby.

I had the previous gen model for a couple of weeks, but I kind of freaked out after realizing that I spent $2300 on a laptop and ended up taking it back. Still the nicest computer I've ever touched, and I want another one bad.

I ended up picking up a Z yesterday. Got my local Frys to take $150 off the asking price on the very last one they had in stock. ($2099 down to $1949)

i7-640M (2.8ghz - 3.4ghz)
4GB
128GB SSD
GeForce GT 330M
13.3" 1600x900

Its incredible. The ultralight weight is the best part, when combined with the power it has. Keyboard is very very good, I have never a missed key. The design has bigger than average spaces between each key for better accuracy. Have an 8GB ram kit on the way to replace the 4GB ram it has now. The display is really amazing at 1600x900, so crisp, yet no too small for the eyes. Best colors I think I have ever seen on a laptop, maybe even better than my PC monitor. (HP 22"). I played some online games today and it was like playing for the first time, the colors were so much more accurate. The hybrid graphics are nice, you set it for speed or stamina. Speed utilizes the GeForce 330M, and stamina uses the basic Intel graphics. You also have an auto setting in the switch, and it changes as needed to conserve battery power. Fingerprint reader works better than my IBM Thinkpad onen did, more success when doing a quick scan.

WEI
CPU 6.9
Ram 5.9
Desktop Graphics 6.3
Gaming Graphics 6.3
Disk 7.3

The 128GB disk space limitation is a concern, which is actually only 107GB space available. The solution to that will be to add a 32GB or 64GB SD card later down the line when prices come down a tad. The SD slot is in the front for easy access, same with the headhone jack.

The 128GB disk space limitation is a concern, which is actually only 107GB space available. The solution to that will be to add a 32GB or 64GB SD card later down the line when prices come down a tad. The SD slot is in the front for easy access, same with the headhone jack.

If you can do without the disc drive, then there is a cheap (~$40?) hard drive caddy that you can use to replace the disc drive with a hard drive. I'm debating pulling mine and throwing in maybe a 1 TB SATA drive to store media (I have the 256gb SSD so not an immediate concern, but would be nice for movies/music while traveling).

If you can do without the disc drive, then there is a cheap (~$40?) hard drive caddy that you can use to replace the disc drive with a hard drive. I'm debating pulling mine and throwing in maybe a 1 TB SATA drive to store media (I have the 256gb SSD so not an immediate concern, but would be nice for movies/music while traveling).

ill think about it, but i still have 2/3 of my disk space free for now. i kind of like having a cd rom, and wouldnt mind checking into that BluRay upgrade at some point also.

Wish i had never sold this Z.... best laptop i ever owned..

I ended up picking up a Z yesterday. Got my local Frys to take $150 off the asking price on the very last one they had in stock. ($2099 down to $1949)

i7-640M (2.8ghz - 3.4ghz)
4GB
128GB SSD
GeForce GT 330M
13.3" 1600x900

Its incredible. The ultralight weight is the best part, when combined with the power it has. Keyboard is very very good, I have never a missed key. The design has bigger than average spaces between each key for better accuracy. Have an 8GB ram kit on the way to replace the 4GB ram it has now. The display is really amazing at 1600x900, so crisp, yet no too small for the eyes. Best colors I think I have ever seen on a laptop, maybe even better than my PC monitor. (HP 22"). I played some online games today and it was like playing for the first time, the colors were so much more accurate. The hybrid graphics are nice, you set it for speed or stamina. Speed utilizes the GeForce 330M, and stamina uses the basic Intel graphics. You also have an auto setting in the switch, and it changes as needed to conserve battery power. Fingerprint reader works better than my IBM Thinkpad onen did, more success when doing a quick scan.

WEI
CPU 6.9
Ram 5.9
Desktop Graphics 6.3
Gaming Graphics 6.3
Disk 7.3

True. Right now, pretty much everything, including the new Z2, sucks compared to it. Called up Sony today, asked when they would be able to deliver some good stuff (everything unavailable over here you can't even order the SA, or a customized SB for that matter) and they told me their lineup won't change until well beyond Christmas. Z2 is disappointing if you ask me, especially for the price. I wish I'd gotten a Z1 back in the day...

i cant stand that Z2 dock design crap either... retarded price of $2999 also..

I have a first gen VGN-Z590 and it sucks. Its incredibly fragile, the palm wrest marks the screen unless you put a cloth in every time you close it. The LCD panel has broken and been replaced three times, likely due to tab contact failure. Also, the most annoying part is that the HDMI output is only supported when using the intel graphics, god knows why, (this is fixed in the new model which only has intel graphics).

Price for the stock 128GB SSD, 1600x900 display, and the DVD/HD6650m PMD is 2000usd... and cheaper at some locations (microcenter online)...

I agree 100%. But it is more than just pricing and the dock. There seem to be many issues with the drivers for the dedicated GPU, including the proprietary switching mechanism. For a non-compromise machine that the Z is supposed to be (and that the Z13 was!), the Z2 forces you to an aweful lot of compromise.

All of that plus Sony's complete failure to build up a steady supplyline over here in central Europe (yeah, I think here in Switzerland and the countries around would be a few people who'd be interested in buying a machine like this...) made it impossible for me to actally buy anything from them.

Instead I was forced to go to Apple last night, right after my good old VAIO SR19 broke down (running again after full wipe). Damn you Sony, HP and Lenovo for not delivering the products and the quality I need. In 2011, you all failed me the hard way.

Back