Sony VAIO Flip14a

turb0

Gawd
Still on the [h]unt for a new ultrabook to replace an aging Dell Latitude E6500 for consult work and possibly light gaming.

Been searching online and reading through this forum at what most of you all are looking at. I finally got a chance to go to BestBuy and get a hands on feel for some ASUS and HP machines but then I came across this Sony machine:

Sony VAIO Flip14a

It was just about everything I was looking for in an Ultrabook:
14" screen
1920x1080 res
core i5 (minimum)
8GB RAM

Only thing I was slightly bummed about was the 5400 rpm HDD and the Intel® HD Graphics 4400. While these aren't complete deal breakers, it could serve it's purpose none the less.

Anyone have any experience with this laptop or anything similar?

As stated before, this will mainly be for basic work tasks and light gaming. Maybe try DOTA2, LoL, and SC2 or AoC if I can play these with medium settings at least.

Other contender was a Yoga 2 Pro, but that was at about $1250 and the Sony is $800... However the Yoga 2 did come with a 256GB SSD and a core i7.

Thoughts?

the lenovo y50 is absolutely beastly specs and its literally as thin as an ultrabook. not exaggerating at all on the thinness and dimensions but its not classified as an ulttabook because its slightly heavier ultrabook weight requirements to be called an ultrabook. they have em at most best buys you can chexk em out.

860m maxwell is amazing.

FYI, I picked up an open-box (scratch & dent) pair from Best Buy for $350 (i3 model). And there are a lot of open-box pairs for under $500, at least in my area.

I think it has to do with the fact that initially these laptops had a lot of problems with the touchpad and touchscreen and fan noise, and perhaps why they have now been discontinued. However, subsequent firmware updates and fixes have solved most problems. I absolutely love mine.

If you need a good portable solution, don't hesitate to buy open-box from Best Buy - it still comes with full manufacturer warranty.

Edit: It turns out this is a newer model than the one I got (not discontinued). The specs seems identical, though. I assume this just fixes some of those problems I mentioned.

Last edited:
Back