Sony v Sony

Eradan

[H]ard|Gawd
I bought my 40GB PS3 in January of 2008 and it still works fine except the fan runs a lot and I find the noise pretty obnoxious. Gamestop will be starting a deal next week where I can get $125 trade-in credit for it and I'm considering doing just that but I'm not quite sure what to trade it for (if anything).

I still have a lot of great PS3 titles that I never finished or started: Uncharted, Demon Souls, Red Dead Redemption, Ni no Kuni, The Last of Us. I have a number of classics, too, that I missed on the PS2 that were given makeovers on the PS3: Ico, Shadow of the Collosus, God of War, Devil May Cry. I own Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 and haven't finished either. I'm tempted to trade up for a new PS3 with a smaller footprint and hopefully quieter performance because that's a lot of good gaming that sat idle while I spent most of my gaming time in WoW.

I'm also thinking about the PS4. I bought one at release and returned it a few days later due to my lack of interest in the titles offered at release. Here we are almost one year later and their stable of games has improved but it's still not so compelling that purchasing the console is a no-brainer. I need to start The Last of Us over again because my saved games on my PS3 are gone. Transistor looks interesting. There's Shadows of Mordor, The Evil Within, Sleeping Dogs that all look good (but may not be...haven't looked at any reviews for consensus). I've owned Diablo 3 on PC since release and have not played it often but the thought of kicking back on the couch and playing on a 65" screen sounds fun. I'm not sure where the PS4 is as far as non-gaming multimedia features right now--I've been out of the loop most of the summer--or what's available (if anything) as far as legacy games or HD remakes of the classics I may have missed.

Wondering if anyone wants to add or suggest anything that might help with the decision process. I've got Bayonetta 2 coming next week. My Wii U has sat idle much of the year while I've pursued other interests. I'm an avid amateur astronomer but the weather is starting the turn and that usually slows way down through the winter. Time for some gaming and even though I've already paid for the next WoW expansion, due in a few weeks, the thought of logging into that game right now is not even remotely appealing.

Thanks for reading. :)

If you haven't played those games you listed you should just play and beat those and wait till 2nd qtr of next year to pick up a PS4.

The exception being TLoU, wait to get that on PS4.

I think trading it in for a new PS3 would be a good idea, not only are they more silent, but they are more reliable and you can ensure that you'll have a working PS3 that will allow you to go through your backlog of games. If somehow you're unlucky and the new unit fails anytime soon, there's that warrant cover so you won't have to spend on another PS3 just to play those games at this point.

With that many PS3 games you have to play at the moment, I don't feel like it's worth giving them up for a PS4 at the moment, but that's ultimately up to you as it depends on whether you can find more appealing games on the PS4's current library.

For me I'm still rocking my PS3 as I don't see that many games on PS4 that I want at the moment.

Thanks for responding, guys. I was looking at the PS3 RPG selection this morning and forgot they had re-released Kingdom Hearts and FFX for the PS3. I also watched some comparison videos this morning and from what I can tell by watching 1080p YouTube videos, the difference isn't hugely dramatic. May be more apparent on my 65" plasma though. Diablo 3 looks a lot crisper on the PS4.

I'm definitely leaning PS3 as long as Gamestop will give me $125 for mine when trading for another PS3. If they insist on trading for current gen, then I'll go PS4. I do have one of the Power Up credit cards with six month no payment, no interest so I could probably buy both but I don't know. Going to do some more reading online today.

Thanks for responding, guys. I was looking at the PS3 RPG selection this morning and forgot they had re-released Kingdom Hearts and FFX for the PS3. I also watched some comparison videos this morning and from what I can tell by watching 1080p YouTube videos, the difference isn't hugely dramatic. May be more apparent on my 65" plasma though. Diablo 3 looks a lot crisper on the PS4.

Kingdom Hearts 2.5 is out this December too which has...

Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix
Kingdom Hearts Re:coded (theater)

KH BBS was great on PSP and one of my favorites in the series.

Well even more reason to update my PS3. Gamestop has a huge number of different models but a lot of them aren't in stock. Would be nice to find a 500GB model with a year of PSN+ included, but I got by all these years with a 40GB hard disk so I guess that isn't mandatory.

Looks like the trade-in offer is for PS4 only. I think I'm going to go for it, but hang onto my PS3 games (except TLoU) and look for a PS3 deal on Black Friday. I really want to play Shadow of Mordor on the big screen in the living room. I'm sure it would play fine on my PC but after the year I've had at work, I'm not enjoying coming home and parking in front of my PC. Happy birthday to me!!

That sounds like a sound plan to me. I would imagine the PS3 being pretty cheap during those sales. Also, I've been sucked into Bayonetta 2 since I got it downloaded Thursday night. Nice game.

There are a ton of epic games coming the Playstation 4 in under 6 months

GTA V "Next month", Far Cry 4 "Next Month"
Tom Clancys the Division" Next spring I hope?
Elder Scrolls online will be here by the holidays.
Dead Island 2 AND Dying light will be here by spring next year.
Dragon Age Inquisition next month
Zday the mod will be a free to play open world zombie shooter for the ps4, hopefully in the next few months.

Yes, plenty to keep me busy. I've seen Bloodborne mentioned quite often but didn't know anything about it. I just watched a few YouTube video....holy shitballs! Looks terrific. Will definitely want that on release.

Didn't work today and picked up Diablo 3 when I went out to grab some lunch. Already caught up to where I stalled out on the PC a few years ago. This game is perfect for kicking back on the couch. I have two Outlaw subs in the living room, too. My wife was cussing when she came home for lunch. :D

Back