Sony used a time machine to build the PS3

JethroXP

[H]ard|Gawd
Apparently Sony has a time machine that they aren't telling anyone about, and they have used it to build the PS3. Check out this quote:

------
Sony (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) took the wraps off its PlayStation 3 game console on Monday and wasted no time in promoting the advantages of its new microchip, high-resolution graphics and next-generation DVD player.

"We want to pack everything in today and future-proof this as much as possible," said Kazuo Hirai, the head of Sony's U.S. game unit, in an interview.

"It's a box made of future technology as opposed to Xbox 1.5, which seems to be a combination of things available today," added Hirai, president and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America.
------

Damn, they've hit upon the secret to success! Don't build products made from components that are available today, build them with stuff from the future!

Yeah, I know that we will eventually see a PS3, but comments like this basically scream "Vaporware". It's pretty sad that is all they have to put up against the Xbox360 which actually exists, and on which people are actually playing games at E3.

On second thought, maybe Sony doesn't have a time machine, because if they did, the PS3 would already exist. Perhaps they are waiting for the future to come to them. How long do you suppose their customers are willing to wait before picking up an Xbox360?

lets hold an entire company responisble for the words of one marketing wanker who speaks english as a second language

this is marketing...
he tries to make his product seem better than the competitions, its part of business.

Steel Chicken said:
lets hold an entire company responisble for the words of one marketing wanker who speaks english as a second language

One Marketing Wanker? Dude, that quote is from the President of their US Games division.

Well, yes, the XBox 350.5 is all old tech. I remember playing that stuff back in the day. Till the Atari 8500 came out and trounced it :p

Come on Sony, we dont need comments like this. Just shut up and put your money where your mouth is.
I never bought a PS2 because the technology was not as good as the XBox.

If Sony produces a PS3 thats better than the XBox, then I will buy one. But if they dont, or if they take forever to make it, then of course, I will be playing other consoles. I really dont care what future guy has to say, its whats on the shelves at Christmas time that really counts..

edit: LOL you cant use the C word. I misspelled counts and it got pissed at me.

I find it funny that they call the X360 an "Xbox 1.5" when 95% of the videos they are running are pre-rendered.

I don't see what the problem is, Sure the wording isn't as precise as is could be but Cell CPU's don't yet exist in any usable form outside of sony tech headquarters while Microsoft even states in their PR video that they're just using the best technology of this year. 3 3.2ghz procs seems really drastic to me over one cell CPU btw. Having one cell CPU is more efficiant and seems like it would be easier to program for instead of having to program to 3 different cpus but I'm not all that familiar with this type of stuff. I wonder what the total energy consumption is vs the 360 and PS3 is now.

heh...

Xbox 1.5

It'll be funny if MS ends up having the more powerful console when it came out a year earlier.

peacetilence said:
Having one cell CPU is more efficiant and seems like it would be easier to program for instead of having to program to 3 different cpus but I'm not all that familiar with this type of stuff. I wonder what the total energy consumption is vs the 360 and PS3 is now.

Actually, the Cell processor will be more difficult to code for, becuase it is really 1 PowerPC CPU + 8 (or fewer) Cell CPUs. The PowerPC CPU uses different microcode than the Cell CPUs, so you need two compilers to code for it. The Xbox360 is using a single chip with a triple core PowerPC CPU, and because the cores are Identical, it is actually easier to code for.

JethroXP said:
Actually, the Cell processor will be more difficult to code for, becuase it is really 1 PowerPC CPU + 8 (or fewer) Cell CPUs. The PowerPC CPU uses different microcode than the Cell CPUs, so you need two compilers to code for it. The Xbox360 is using a single chip with a triple core PowerPC CPU, and because the cores are Identical, it is actually easier to code for.

I heard since PS3 was using OpenGL it would be very easy to code for but who knows.... :confused:

JethroXP said:
actually, the central processor handles all ther other processors. its appears as one extremely fast and multi threaded processor to the coder.

Steel Chicken said:

Americans aren't supposed to know what wanker means, stop stealing our insults :p

Hate_Bot said:
wtf is Xbox1.5?
Sony is just talking shit... Sony is trying to make the xbx360 sound like its not anywhere near completion even though the opposite is actually true.

Rune75 said:
Sony is just talking shit... Sony is trying to make the xbx360 sound like its not anywhere near completion even though the opposite is actually true.
no they are saying that the xbox 360 isnt a major advance, that its just an update to the original

ryanrule said:
no they are saying that the xbox 360 isnt a major advance, that its just an update to the original
Either way, they are talking shit.

Besides, we already made the XBOX 1.5 here on the forums
l33t.jpg

ryanrule said:
actually, the central processor handles all ther other processors. its appears as one extremely fast and multi threaded processor to the coder.

Sorry, but that is incorrect. I've actually sat in on a Cell Processor Coding Presentation. It does not present itself as one multi-threaded CPU. Yes, the PowerPC CPU does act as a scheduler for the Cells, but to get those Cells to to do work, you need to code for them specifically. They use a totally different microcode from the PowerPC core. They all have the own registers that can be (and must be) individually addressed. From what I saw it looked like a nightmare to develop on. Which is part of the reason why when it ships, it probably won't have 8 cells, it will more likely be 4. That reduces the coding complexity, and reduces die size. Right now with 8 cells the thing is huge, and big dies are very expensive to produce.

JethroXP said:
Sorry, but that is incorrect. I've actually sat in on a Cell Processor Coding Presentation. It does not present itself as one multi-threaded CPU. Yes, the PowerPC CPU does act as a scheduler for the Cells, but to get those Cells to to do work, you need to code for them specifically. They use a totally different microcode from the PowerPC core. They all have the own registers that can be (and must be) individually addressed. From what I saw it looked like a nightmare to develop on. Which is part of the reason why when it ships, it probably won't have 8 cells, it will more likely be 4. That reduces the coding complexity, and reduces die size. Right now with 8 cells the thing is huge, and big dies are very expensive to produce.
documentation?

ryanrule said:

All the same, it sounds like he was talking BS

Back