Sony to Pull Out of Floppy Disc Market

I use floppies almost every day. Bios flashing, firmware flashing, boot drivers for OS installs. Of course I do it all now with a USB floppy drive
you can do all that easier and without floppies now :D

i havent used a floppy or bootable CD to flash a bios is probably 5 years. and slipstreaming is the manly way to install a legacy OS.

legacy business uses are completely valid! but there's very little reason to use them in your home.

Slipstreaming is all and good (and I did the slipstream for XP on my last motherboard, finally about 3 years ago) but when you've got like a half dozen computers in the house, it's just easier to use a floppy. Or when you're working on a friend's computer...it's a PITA to go out and slipstream drivers for every single PC you install Windows XP on.

I also tried a BIOS recovery routine on my wife's Dell laptop a while back that required a FLOPPY (not USB) drive to do. Didn't work though and now I have a USB floppy drive laying around.

Sony has announced that it is pulling the plug on floppy disc production by 2011. Wait, when is the last time you used a floppy? Does anyone still use those things?

Seriously. I can't imagine going back to floppies. USB thumb drives literally killed the floppy disk. They're so much more convenient and can carry a ton more data AND they are MUCH faster.

When I was in highschool, the school disabled the USB ports on the good ole Pentium 2 Dell GX computers. In order to print for free at school, I would literally load up hundreds of pages of files to print on floppy discs. That was truly the last time I ever really used one, and that was 3 yrs ago.

Now, I only use them for SCSI/Raid drivers when I am installing Windows XP or Server

Chris

The only reason you would have a floppy disk is because you can't get it up (and running) properly.

Floppy disks only work for old machines that can't get it up properly. After you get it up properly you use the hard... disk. Yeah :rolleyes:

We have a sound and vibration meter at work that relies on floppy disks to transfer data. It's horrible and I pray for it to break every time I bring it out. The same 2 floppy disks have been used with that piece of equipment for like 10 years. They're both totally messed up, it usually takes several tries to make a successful copy.

So, how long until Sony decides to patch all their VAIOs so that Floppy drives won't function in them?

:p

We use them at work on a daily basis. Most of our reporting programs are still dos based. It takes a while to update, as we operate in all 50 states as well as 19 different countries and we have to make sure these programs work and deploy correctly before putting them into use.

We use them at work on a daily basis. Most of our reporting programs are still dos based. It takes a while to update, as we operate in all 50 states as well as 19 different countries and we have to make sure these programs work and deploy correctly before putting them into use.

Who do you work for? The 80's?

On a related note, a friend told me he found a 5.25" floppy disk drive somewhere and took it. That thing is huge and was quite heavy ("that's what she said"). :eek:

I used last time floppy disk to reflash BIOS approx year ago and still have floppy drive installed in my computer :D . But I think while floppies are already no longer used by mainstream users at least 10 years, they are still used for some special old equipment or old software.

The last few times i used a floppy was to provide a AHCI/RAID driver via F6 during a windows xp install, with a factory OEM windows xp with SP3 disk, that did not have intel ICH10R drivers slipstreamed.

Its so stupid that windows xp will only take a AHCI or RAID driver via a floppy drive or via making a slipstreamed disk using nlite.
Really sucks that Microsoft never gave windows xp an update that would allow it to provide the driver via a USB drive like in vista and win7.

This, i have a floppy drive in a drawer with the driver disk still in it. Have not used it in probably 3 years.

Back