Sony to Publish Nintendo Switch and PC Games Under New Label

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
A division of Sony is to publish video games for, among other consoles, Switch, the company has announced. Sony Music Entertainment has launched a new publishing label called Unties, whose upcoming projects include a game, titled Tiny Metal, that's coming to Nintendo's hybrid console as well as PC and PS4.

This isn't the first time Sony has published games on non-PlayStation consoles: Sony Online Entertainment previously published games such as PlanetSide 2 and Payday: The Heist on PC. SOE, which was separate to the PlayStation brand and Sony Interactive Entertainment, was later sold off and renamed Daybreak, no longer a part of Sony. It's interesting, then, to see Sony--albeit, again, not the PlayStation or SIE division--entering the multiplatform publishing business once more, this time on a rival company's console.

Honestly, I'm surprised none of the console devs haven't published many of their own games on other platforms. They want to make their own exclusives, sure, but they could make other games that will just rake in the money.

Honestly, I'm surprised none of the console devs haven't published many of their own games on other platforms. They want to make their own exclusives, sure, but they could make other games that will just rake in the money.
There's nothing surprising about exclusives - they sell consoles.

I think Sony's just trying to set themselves up in a good position to develop an "optical media" add-on for the Switch. :p

cross platform sells. this is also sony testing the waters to see exactly what the switch is capable of and likely how they can develop a competitive mobile offering to address that space.

Have Triple AAA exclusives on your own console, sell stuff from 1-2 years ago on someone else's console. There will always be legions of people that won't buy more than a single console, so if they didn't buy your console. You are out of some bucks.

Back