Sony Takes on Microsoft Surface with VAIO Duo 11

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
And so it begins with a shot across Microsoft’s bow and a direct shot at Microsoft’s Surface. The Sony VAIO Duo 11 is a slide out tablet/notebook, powered by an Intel Core i7, 8GB of RAM, 256 GB SSD, a 1080p screen and all running on Windows 8 on the high end model. Take that, Microsoft. :D

Reminds me of the tablets from 10 years ago.

Well with a couple exceptions. First, the tablets of yesteryear were very hobbled by the OS. Windows 8 may do better. Second, it looks like the stylus may be pressure sensitive, which I didn't encounter last go round. If it is and it costs less than a wacom cintiq, there will be lots of apple loving graphic designers looking at the other side of the fence with some envy.

I'm thinking around $1200, if not more..

Looking at the photos, somehow I think that screen isn't going to be working for too long.....
executive toy.

Lulz, Windows 8. Looked decent in the Release Preview and now terrible in the RTM.

And so it begins with a shot across Microsoft’s bow and a direct shot at Microsoft’s Surface. The Sony VAIO Duo 11 is a slide out tablet/notebook, powered by an Intel Core i7, 8GB of RAM, 256 GB SSD, a 1080p screen and all running on Windows 8 on the high end model. Take that, Microsoft. :D

All for the hot low price of $3995.99

Looks a lot thicker than the Surface...also no option to remove the keyboard/extra weight if not needed.

Yeah Sony. No thanks. While Win 8 is pretty good I will avoid anything by Sony. Too many bad memories

This is what Microsoft wanted them to do in the first place. Less "shot across Microsoft’s bow" and more like this is what we told you to make from the beginning.

exactly.

the whole reason microsoft is making the first rt tablet is because most of their partners have been making arm tablets for a few years now, and pretty unsuccessfully at that. so microsoft decided to show them how to do and arm tablet "right".

they know everyone knows how to make an x86 platform computer, tablet, whatever.

this is all a part of microsofts plan and why their partners have only pushed forward (After some initial shock) rather than walking away from the platform.

Well with a couple exceptions. First, the tablets of yesteryear were very hobbled by the OS. Windows 8 may do better. Second, it looks like the stylus may be pressure sensitive, which I didn't encounter last go round. If it is and it costs less than a wacom cintiq, there will be lots of apple loving graphic designers looking at the other side of the fence with some envy.

Well since my HP TC1100 runs full desktop XP and the stylus is pressure sensitive on mine. They claim some absurd number like 11000 different amounts of pressure i just notice about 4.

I have been using the 1100 for a while and enjoyed it the whole time.

Doesn't "Duo" mean 2. So this tablet is called VAIO 2/11. If they release a LTE 3G only version will that be "Sony VAIO Duo Elevent LTE"?

Can i have that with skim soy please :rolleyes:

ITS A LAPTOP, NO WAIT, ITS A TABLET, NO WAIT ITS BOTH! ......these things are lame period. without that stand it would be as flat as the world that surrounds these stupid things and with it, well its a laptop.

Ill stick to my Studio build, Aka Desktop. Its nice to see another non productive device brought to the market only to find its way slowly in the hands of a new generation to use it for gaming.

If i ever bought one of these it would be for work. Wait, i have a desktop, why do i need this with a small ass screen....ooooohhh so i can go places with it....ahhh yes, and play games!... another retarted device gobbling away at productivity.

Watch it get paired with a shoddy TN panel so that the idea of using it as a drawing tablet get thrown out due to awful viewing angles. If it does somehow end up with an IPS that doesn't utterly suck at anything that isn't dead on then I'll want to know the price. But, knowing it's Sony, that is going to be expensive. Well, and probably have rootkits of some kind. You know what, I think I'll just wait for a different brand.

ITS A LAPTOP, NO WAIT, ITS A TABLET, NO WAIT ITS BOTH! ......these things are lame period. without that stand it would be as flat as the world that surrounds these stupid things and with it, well its a laptop.

Ill stick to my Studio build, Aka Desktop. Its nice to see another non productive device brought to the market only to find its way slowly in the hands of a new generation to use it for gaming.

If i ever bought one of these it would be for work. Wait, i have a desktop, why do i need this with a small ass screen....ooooohhh so i can go places with it....ahhh yes, and play games!... another retarted device gobbling away at productivity.

Man it sounds like you have a sad life. You should play some games some times.

Watch it get paired with a shoddy TN panel so that the idea of using it as a drawing tablet get thrown out due to awful viewing angles.

No, I think tablet PC makers have learned that lessen and in the day and age of the iPad retina display, not an option.

I will be interesting to see the price but in looking at what Samsung just anncounced today:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6554&news=samsung+series+5+series+7+slate+pc

It's look like $1200 is going to be the sweet spot for what are the Core i5 hybrid devices, 11.6 1080P IPS quality screen, and, only 4GB RAM and 128SSD but this is enough power to a lot. Thinking this is my next as I definitely want the detachable keyboard and S-Pen/Wacom pen.

theyre not apple. they wouldnt sell a single one at that price.

Even Apple wouldn't sell many at that price and considering the Sammy Series 7 is half the price for what looks to be the same capabilities, I don't think that that's the price Sony has in mind.

Even Apple wouldn't sell many at that price and considering the Sammy Series 7 is half the price for what looks to be the same capabilities, I don't think that that's the price Sony has in mind.

:eek: Even at $1250, that's a rather high cost to pay. With respect to stuff I use at home, I've not paid more than $250 for anything in my laptop pile, even for new computers and most of what I purchase is less than $100 with ~$50 being my ideal amount. There was a gaming laptop I once got with a GeForce 8600 or somesuch thing, but it suffered a quick death thanks to that nVidia manufacturing flaw thing. Anyway, it cost about $800 or so and that was horribly excessive for any sort of computer. Why would anyone pay so much for something like that?

:eek: Even at $1250, that's a rather high cost to pay. With respect to stuff I use at home, I've not paid more than $250 for anything in my laptop pile, even for new computers and most of what I purchase is less than $100 with ~$50 being my ideal amount. There was a gaming laptop I once got with a GeForce 8600 or somesuch thing, but it suffered a quick death thanks to that nVidia manufacturing flaw thing. Anyway, it cost about $800 or so and that was horribly excessive for any sort of computer. Why would anyone pay so much for something like that?

Yeah but did you have 1080P IPS screen in a device that weighed under two pounds with 5 to 6 hours of batter life?

Yeah but did you have 1080P IPS screen in a device that weighed under two pounds with 5 to 6 hours of batter life?

Nope, but I'm partial to 4:3 format screens which keep the resolution at around 1024x768 for comfort. Battery life on my newly purchased Dell Latitude C600 is 3.5 hours with a single battery and another high capacity cell from Amazon is on it's way so I'll be able to pull of around seven hours of light usage. That should be lots better than the Presario which is only able to handle about 2.5 hours off an outlet.

The funny thing is, even though I like having battery life, I hardly ever find myself more than an arm's length away from an outlet so for my personal use, battery life isn't a big factor. Weight isn't either because I leave my laptops on a table or in my lap unless I fly somewhere. The netbook is nice for that, but last time I flew, I took along my Presario which weighs about 8 lbs and didn't really mind the difference much.

I guess, for me, the extra expense doesn't return enough benefit to make it worth the trouble. I'll buy one refurbished or off Craigslist in a few years when they're super cheap or wait until work throws one my way to play with for a technical review.

I guess, for me, the extra expense doesn't return enough benefit to make it worth the trouble. I'll buy one refurbished or off Craigslist in a few years when they're super cheap or wait until work throws one my way to play with for a technical review.

4:3 is good for reading but obviously less optimal for HD playback.

To each his own and I can certainly understand the cost aspect. I just like having a full PC that I can carry virtually anywhere and do pretty much anything with.

4:3 is good for reading but obviously less optimal for HD playback.

To each his own and I can certainly understand the cost aspect. I just like having a full PC that I can carry virtually anywhere and do pretty much anything with.

I don't really watch videos on my laptop. The lack of Flash and compute power pretty much prohibits that which isn't a big deal since media consumption isn't my thing at all. I don't even poke YouTube links in forums more often than not since I have to go get my netbook out of the closet (it's the only thing with Flash installed and I treat it like a "dirty" system that has no security).

Aside from that, since when was a laptop not a full PC? 12 years ago, my Compaq was sold as one and it still is a PC as far as I can tell. *pokes it* Feels like a PC. *sniffs it* Smells like a PC too.

I don't really watch videos on my laptop. The lack of Flash and compute power pretty much prohibits that which isn't a big deal since media consumption isn't my thing at all. I don't even poke YouTube links in forums more often than not since I have to go get my netbook out of the closet (it's the only thing with Flash installed and I treat it like a "dirty" system that has no security).

But that's the beauty of a powerful device. YouTube, Netflix, anything a browser does I can do on my tablets and it will even work well with touch, even on the desktop with IE 10. Yeah devices like this cost money because they are so functional.

But that's the beauty of a powerful device. YouTube, Netflix, anything a browser does I can do on my tablets and it will even work well with touch, even on the desktop with IE 10. Yeah devices like this cost money because they are so functional.

Well, just about any modern-ish computer, even a single core Pentium M or Sempron 3000+ has enough compute power to handle videos, but I guess I'm just not really interested in consuming video content. It's really not of any interest to me. I'd rather sit around in a dark room generating words in a word processor. Now that's sexiness, if you ask me and it doesn't take anything more than a keyboard and something with a processor, even the computational capacity of a 386 SX at 16 MHz will do.

You nerds are all alike, wanting more computer power than necessary just to impress other people on forums. :(

You nerds are all alike, wanting more computer power than necessary just to impress other people on forums. :(

I'll never understand why people who say stuff like this hang out in a place called [H]ardForum. Most people around here work for what they have, I do, and guarantee that few people here really give a rats ass about what anonymous people think about their interests and hobbies.

Places like this used to be good to just discuss and talk about shared interests. Now more and more places like this seem to more focused on making judgments on people that total strangers.

I'll never understand why people who say stuff like this hang out in a place called [H]ardForum. Most people around here work for what they have, I do, and guarantee that few people here really give a rats ass about what anonymous people think about their interests and hobbies.

Places like this used to be good to just discuss and talk about shared interests. Now more and more places like this seem to more focused on making judgments on people that total strangers.

Maybe people saying stuff like this are just joking around. :D Life's too short to take anything as unimportant as a forum (unless you're earning part of your living operating it) very seriously.

Maybe people saying stuff like this are just joking around. :D Life's too short to take anything as unimportant as a forum (unless you're earning part of your living operating it) very seriously.

I don't take much around here seriously, but there are plenty of haters these days. Just seems hard to like anything when a hatting on stuff all the time, not saying you but you know the drill.

theyre not apple. they wouldnt sell a single one at that price.

It shouldn't cost anymore than an iPad4 really, to succeed.

The mass market buyer probably doesn't know the difference between an A9 or an i7, and probably doesn’t care.

Back